LEAKED New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72

Adam Poultney

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

if this is accurate I won't have time to build one before I'm off to uni. Might have to cancel my pre order....

If it is like all the other dates they have quoted you won't get it til Christmas

I am not going to hold my breath

Airfix still say this spring, well that went out the window Monday, it's now summer

Airfix have not long uploaded a close up video of their Vulcan kit on Facebook. They have also commented to say “A little birdie has told me you won’t be waiting much longer”. Now what that actually means is anyone’s guess, however it looks more like this side of Christmas in my opinion. 

Perhaps, roll this one out as soon as possible and take the time to go back and fix that droopy Chipmunk wing. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Wonderland Models have posted on Facebook that Airfix have just announced that it's due to arrive between the 7th and 20th of June.

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2021 at 6:00 PM, cherry268 said:

If it is like all the other dates they have quoted you won't get it til Christmas

I am not going to hold my breath

Airfix still say this spring, well that went out the window Monday, it's now summer

It may have escaped your attention in that cloistered shire but for the last eighteen months or so much of the world has been in the grip of a medical emergency without parallel in modern times.  Airfix have very long supply chains for their kits which, unfortunately, include two of the most seriously affected countries, India (moulding) and Italy (transfers).  It’s also entirely possible that, in view of some of the comments concerning the prototype build featured in AMW and on this forum, that the moulds have been reworked to further improve what appears to be a very impressive product (there’s precedent for this in the lovely Whitley kit).  I’m sure that most, if not all, of us have a spare kit or two sculling around to keep us occupied ‘til this one hits the shelves in our LHSs.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 7

56 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I’m sure that most, if not all, of us have a spare kit or two sculling around to keep us occupied ‘til this one hits the shelves in our LHSs.

You know what they say.... :P 

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Airfix have not long uploaded a close up video of their Vulcan kit on Facebook. They have also commented to say “A little birdie has told me you won’t be waiting much longer”. Now what that actually means is anyone’s guess, however it looks more like this side of Christmas in my opinion. 

They have replied to the instgram post saying their 'first shipment lands within the month'

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stever219 said:

It may have escaped your attention in that cloistered shire but for the last eighteen months or so much of the world has been in the grip of a medical emergency without parallel in modern times.  Airfix have very long night supply chains for their kits which, unfortunately, include two of the most seriously affected countries, India (moulding) and Italy (transfers).  It’s also entirely possible that, in view of some of the comments concerning the prototype build featured in AMW and on this forum, that the moulds have been reworked to further improve what appears to be a very impressive product (there’s precedent for this in the lovely Whitley kit).  I’m sure that most, if not all, of us have a spare kit or two sculling around to keep us occupied ‘til this one hits the shelves in our LHSs.

As a purchaser and supplier of agricultural and horticultural spare parts I have to deal with delivery dates being promised and put back all the time so I am fully aware of the situation in the world. Took me 4 months to get an air cleaner cover for a quad bike and we still can't get a certain battery for one. What I said was not a complaint just a cold fact that at the moment every promised delivery date invariably gets altered and was in response to Adam Poultney's remark about cancelling preorder as he was going to university.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, cherry268 said:

But, WHICH Christmas? 😉😂

You make a good point though in your most recent post.

Its only a model after all. I've certainly got more important issues to think about than when it appears!

Got plenty others to keep me busy😊

John.

Edited by Beermonster1958

The Airfix e-mail I just received says

"The 1:72 scale Avro Vulcan B.2 will be arriving VERY soon and can be yours for £59.99!"

Now what exactly "Very soon" means is a matter of perception, but it is all relative anyway. There are more important things in life, as well as other kits waiting to be built. (not sure if I should duck for cover now)

Robert 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Well, it's my local shop so, I will go and see for myself before I believe it!! 😉😅.

It won't however "be mine" for £59.99. That's way out of my price league unfortunately.

I will sneak it into my partners Crimbo shopping list instead! 😉.

John

As someone with a birthday later this month, and given delays was about to ask for something non modelling  which would be a bit of left field punt I’ve got an actual decision to make now,

Posted (edited)

Could be some un happy folks if what I am hearing is true, that like the Beaufort it could be a Corporal Jones ( rationing his meat) and stores not getting what they ordered.

I have been told already it could be split between June and August ( we do not get ours direct but from a wholesaler (sub distribution) 

But we will have enough to clear our pre-orders.

Edited by TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED
  • Like 1

Which markings will the new Vulcan have? And how big is its wingspan? 

I may be tempted to buy one and add it to my Malvinas/Falklands collection.

4 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

I think it’s just the two markings shown. A quick Google tells me the wingspan is  33.83m.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

It will have markings for two aircraft: XM602 in white and XM594 in early camo. If you want a Falkands one, you will need aftermarket decals and need to find a set of pylons for it as they will not be included (I suspect Black Buck will be the first rebox of the kit).

For quick reference, basic info needed for each scheme:

XM602 (1962):

Olympus 301 engines

One ECM plate

Early style tail bumper

No red, dome-shaped anti collision light covers (introduced 1966)

No RWR fairing

No TFR blister or TFR mod (so nose tip should be smooth, no circular plate over where the TFR blister would otherwise be)

No X-Band Jammer (introduced 1967)

Full set of Skybolt attachment blisters

Early style VHF aerials 

Anti Flash White, pale markings. 12 Sqn insignia on tail.

XM594 (1966):

Olympus 301 engines

Two ECM plates (second fitted 1962-64)

Later style tail bumper (fitted by 1965)

Check photos for anti collision light covers (introduced 1966, all had them by 1968)

No RWR fairing

No TFR blister (same as XM602 c.1962)

No X-Band Jammer

Skybolt coolant blister only

Blue Steel Missile

Early style VHF aerials

Early gloss camouflage (medium sea grey and dark green) over white, probably soft edged but check photos (not of the aircraft as it is today, it is hard edged now). Type D roundels. 84" roundel only on the left wing in early camouflage schemes. Black painted radome and fin cap. No Sqn badge on the tail

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2021 at 11:18 AM, Adam Poultney said:

For quick reference, basic info needed for each scheme:

Hi Adam,

didn't you have a handy spreadsheet for which engine / intake / exhaust / airframe combination worked?

Posting it here or linking to it would be most useful.

Just don't call them B,.2A!

Vulcan B2A - Olympus 301 or Blue Steel [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums

3 minutes ago, At Sea said:

Hi Adam,

didn't you have a handy spreadsheet for which engine / intake / exhaust / airframe combination worked?

Posting it here or linking to it would be most useful.

Yes, I did. I'll post it here in a bit. I found a few errors in it so I want to go back through it and correct the mistakes.

4 minutes ago, At Sea said:

Just don't call them B,.2A!

Vulcan B2A - Olympus 301 or Blue Steel [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums

B2A - never officially existed. They were just a Vulcan B2. 

Thanks!

The Pprune thread is quite handbaggy.  

I have the Airscale Vulcan decal sheet and it allows you to make almost any Anti-Flash White B2, I was thinking 83 Squadron Blue Steel or maybe a 617 Squadron Blue Steel as per the old tool boxing.

But will have to choose carefully so I don't end up with something inaccurate like my Victor B.2R. 

resized_30fb5d38-449a-4c04-8319-9d9a49e0

Posted (edited)

Ok so I'm calling this done for tonight. I just realised I spent at least 6 hours on this just now... oops! Oh well, have some Vulcan knowledge.

Need to add more photos showing what each bit is, and things that were refitted to all Vulcan B2s (tail cone tip when ECM equipment was changed, late tail bumper, etc) and I need to visit more Vulcans to collect photos of specific features.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ljleemPGEVyH360F-DqwZqu5iB3LrcqL/view?usp=sharing

Edit: download and open in Excell, Drive doesn't seem to let you scroll sideways and there are currently 31 columns 

Edit 2: new version uploaded

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8

On 04/06/2021 at 08:38, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

Could be some un happy folks if what I am hearing is true, that like the Beaufort it could be a Corporal Jones ( rationing his meat) and stores not getting what they ordered.

I have been told already it could be split between June and August ( we do not get ours direct but from a wholesaler (sub distribution) 

But we will have enough to clear our pre-orders.

You may be right. I read a comment yesterday on(I think) the Airfix FB page.

It was from a retailer bemoaning the fact that he had ordered 12 initially  and, he was getting 2. That might tie in with the split dates.

For myself, I'm not bothered!!

It'll be around for a long time.  No rush! 😊

John

• Like 1