LEAKED New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72

I can see some very sad news for my credit card coming up.... but I will try and wait until Airfix follow up on the initial release with the 588 version and the after market have released their goodies.. So you all now go and kindly pre-order this kit so as to nudge Airfix! :)

Excellent work on this General good sir ! 
it’s ironic you picked the same Vulcan you challenged me to build in a few weeks for the Cosford 2014 show.

Happy memories and hope we can soon sit these two beside each other at more shows in the near future when we have Nuked Covid into oblivion.

here is the old beast from then. 
I can’t wait to get my hands on 89 of these beauties haha ! 

Thanks Rob, yes I remember that weekend well, all a bit frantic, if I recall you didn't get much sleep the night before, but true to the spirit of Bomber Command, you pulled it out of the bag.

Only 89...you must be slipping! 

• Like 1
On 2/5/2021 at 4:49 PM, general melchett said:

Thanks Robert, just one thing though, the Vulcans of the period were finished in MSG/DG over white and later over LAG. There were a couple of exceptions like XM600 which featured DSG/DG for a brief period before reverting to the standard scheme.  XH558 was actually painted a different colour, somewhere between DSG and MSG along with the strange positioning of the wing roundels, it was a bit of a Frankenstein scheme wise, but a beautiful one nonetheless.

My understanding is that it was painted in the upper grey (Light Aircraft Grey ISTR?) that Nimrod MR.1s used, as there was plenty kicking around at the Kinloss sprayshop at the time.

Love the pic of XM600, not seen that before.

• Like 1

My understanding is that it was painted in the upper grey (Light Aircraft Grey ISTR?) that Nimrod MR.1s used, as there was plenty kicking around at the Kinloss sprayshop at the time.

That's my understanding too James, it would make sense.

12 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks Rob, yes I remember that weekend well, all a bit frantic, if I recall you didn't get much sleep the night before, but true to the spirit of Bomber Command, you pulled it out of the bag.

Only 89...you must be slipping! 

Haha yes it was a stupid thing to do I only had 2 hours sleep for that.. crazy. Was worth it though.

I have so much catching up to do here and with everything. 
can’t wait to get my hands on one of these new kits (you know that already haha)

All the best dude :)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, 71chally said:

Yep In the 90s XH558 looked like it was barley grey as it could appear both very pale or very blue. Different to the usual medium sea grey which could look quite deep and blue with a more purple tone too it or just bleached bone grey when faded. 
beautiful scheme for sure. 
I painted one of mine once with barley grey and it looked right. But the usual lighting etc can cause all sorts of distortions of perception.

XH558 really looked interesting pre-repaint, lots of things going on with the finish, multiple tones with fading, patches, soft and very soft camouflage demarcation lines, etc.....a 'weatherers' delight.

https://www.pinterest.de/pin/390265123942704412/visual-search/

Here's a link to the best air-to-air images of XH558 I've seen, fantastic detail down to the riveting in the intake ducts. They also show the placement of the extra avionics/GPS aerials, fitted to the fuselage, post refurbishment for anyone wishing to model her.

https://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130744

Sightly off topic, but does anyone have any information on which Vulcan B2s flew with the B1 tailcone? I've seen pictures of XH533 and XH536 with it, and unreleased pictures which I saw as the museum at Woodford reveal that XM596 (the fatigue one which never flew) had a B1 tailcone (I suspect that was actually a much earlier one not really an XM batch Vulcan at all). 

I'm wondering if there's any more.

1 minute ago, general melchett said:

XH538, for starters, I'll see what else I have.

1-Haunebu006.jpg

Awesome! I will certainly be doing one of this then. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72331?result-token=rkYeO

New decal sheet from Xtradecal for this. Covers:

XH562, 9 Sqn, 1972, kiwi zapped

XM575, 101 Sqn, 1975

XJ871, 12 Sqn, 1963

XM607, Black Buck 1982

XL426, 83 Sqn, 1961

XM600, 8 Sqn, 1966 DSG camo

XM570, 27 Sqn, 1973.

At a glance, I see some questionable ones on there. They have incorrectly labeled XM607 and XM570 as a Vulcan B2(MRR). The scheme for XH562 suggests you remove the TFR blister which is incorrect.

They have some odd roundels included for Black Buck ones. I don't know if they are accurate, but it certainly seems odd as they suggest they were modified from regular type D roundels, which had been gone from the Vulcans since the 70s. 

The painting guide also suggests that XM600 had type D roundels on both wings, which would be very odd if that was the case. 

Regardless of any errors, it's probably on my list of decals to buy for the new Vulcans. I don't plan on doing any of those particular airframes anyway, possibly except XM600 (although I'm thinking a smaller scale for that one) but there are plenty of useful decals.

• Like 2

I shall be getting my Vulcan decals reprinted :)

Can anyone advise on the correct colours for the Anti Flash pale blue and pink please, are those included the Airfix Victor kit the correct colours?

Cheers

Ray

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 26Decals said:

Can anyone advise on the correct colours for the Anti Flash pale blue and pink please,

BS381C 172 Pale Roundel Blue

BS381C 454 Pale Roundel Red

On 08/02/2021 at 14:29, general melchett said:

XH538, for starters, I'll see what else I have.

1-Haunebu006.jpg

What a stunning looking aircraft the Vulcan is in this picture ... Very Inspirational 👍

• Like 1

Jumblies had it on their site as dispatched on 30/4-21 but  see that has now slipped until 30/6/21

Probably be in time for Telford!!

If it's on

https://www.jumbliesmodels.com/plastic-kits-c3/aviation-kits-c4/airfix-1-72-avro-vulcan-b-2-aircraft-model-kit-p16755

On 03/03/2021 at 12:02, Dave Swindell said:

BS381C 172 Pale Roundel Blue

BS381C 454 Pale Roundel Red

On 03/03/2021 at 12:55, 26Decals said:

Thanks Dave, I will get the printers to match the decals to those colours :)

Aren't those too late to be the correct colours for the Vulcan - they will be the colours for the 80s to present day?

I think they were only added to BS381C in the late 80s

I have seen a document for the Valiant that said that the pink was 5 parts red/1 part white  and the blue 3 parts blue 1 of white by weight, and a late 60s document that gives BS381C 111 as the Pale Blue but no BS reference for Pale Red. I recall Compucolor had several variants of RAF/RN Pale colours

Edited by Dave Fleming
41 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Aren't those too late to be the correct colours for the Vulcan - they will be the colours for the 80s to present day?

I think they were only added to BS381C in the late 80s

I have seen a document for the Valiant that said that the pink was 5 parts red/1 part white  and the blue 3 parts blue 1 of white by weight, and a late 60s document that gives BS381C 111 as the Pale Blue but no BS reference for Pale Red. I recall Compucolor had several variants of RAF/RN Pale colours

Yes Dave, you're correct, further discussed in this thread:-

Your mix ratio sounds to me to be wrong way round?  5 parts white to one part red and 3 parts white to one part blue sounds more like it for the pale colours involved?

Mixed paints might be correct for 1957 Grapple Valiants, these were the first with pale markings? The colours appear to be stamndardised with RAF stores references by 1960 though. 

David Howley quotes BS111 for the pale red in the Buccaneer  Warpaint , this is obviously incorrect and presumably should be for the pale blue.

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes that extra panel line for to the parts breakdown right through the radome and round the top of the nose is prominent if not dealt with.... They really should put an instruction in to remove it

Aifix's website now showing summer 2021 not spring.  

I was hoping this meant the initial run was sold out but it looks like we will be waiting longer.  

As

On 3/5/2021 at 2:28 PM, cherry268 said:

Jumblies had it on their site as dispatched on 30/4-21 but  see that has now slipped until 30/6/21

Probably be in time for Telford!!

If it's on

https://www.jumbliesmodels.com/plastic-kits-c3/aviation-kits-c4/airfix-1-72-avro-vulcan-b-2-aircraft-model-kit-p16755

Yes you really can't get away with a dark wash and those panel lines, it kills the look of the Vulcan. The white one has been kept nice and subtle and looks good.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Yes you really can't get away with a dark wash and those panel lines, it kills the look of the Vulcan. The white one has been kept nice and subtle and looks good.

Ahh yes the modern curse, imo When I look at models that have been "weathered" to death I just think, have you not looked at any reference photos?

• Like 8