LEAKED New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72

Adam Poultney

A lot of the preshading and panel line stuff seems to have its origins in the armour and figure modelling. Makes sense with figures as what people and their clothes are made  out of is somewhat different from aircraft and weather in a different way. 

I recall in the eighties a friend saying that tanks were beginning to look more like pieces of Capo d'Monte ornaments. A bit harsh, but with some stuff you could see what he was driving at. Not a fan, especially in 1/72nd scale but just my preference. 

• Like 6

2 great schemes in the initial boxing by the looks of it.

Honestly was expecting 617 squadron in anti-flash white!

Just now, At Sea said:

2 great schemes in the initial boxing by the looks of it.

Honestly was expecting 617 squadron in anti-flash white!

we've known about the schemes for a long time. I'm happy with them, and they do seem well researched. No type D roundel on the right wing of the camo vulcan in this kit :)

ECM plate configurations are right, engine types are right, schemes look accurate, they even got the details right of the gloss fading to satin and the roundels wearing away on early camo Vulcans

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Medium Sea Grey BS381C 627 (Humbrol 165) being quoted for the upper camouflage grey? I’ve usually seen this area mentioned as being painted Dark Sea Grey. I’m not suggesting that Airfix is incorrect, just curious if new research has unearthed something here. 
Cheers.. Dave 

15 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Medium Sea Grey BS381C 627 (Humbrol 165) being quoted for the upper camouflage grey? I’ve usually seen this area mentioned as being painted Dark Sea Grey. I’m not suggesting that Airfix is incorrect, just curious if new research has unearthed something here. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Should definitely be Medium Sea Grey on a Vulcan. There may have been a few early on that were on DSG (XM600 apparently, but I've never seen a photo to confirm). 

Later on of course they did switch to DSG when wrap around camouflage was introduced and all aircraft repainted in that scheme used DSG instead of MSG other than XH558 which remains in MSG. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave 

As @Adam Poultney said Medium Sea Grey was the standard colour used for upper surface camouflage on all three V-bombers; if you've usually seen Dark Sea Grey quotes in your references I'd be tempted to treat them as very suspect.  XM600 is the only Vilulcan that I've seen any evidence for with Dark Sea Grey replacing Medium Sea Grey; there may have been one other but I've never seen any images of her.  The lack of the starboard upper wing rounded was very much standard until time down began in the early to mid seventies when it was reinstated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah, they scanned XM594 at Newark - now I see why they moulded the wipers across the screens and missed off the centre wiper - it's missing from the actual a/c!

I did get a reply about this from Airfix - the comments had been passed to the design team.

• Like 1

Just now, Blacktjet said:

Ah, they scanned XM594 at Newark - now I see why they moulded the wipers across the screens and missed off the centre wiper - it's missing from the actual a/c!

I did get a reply about this from Airfix - the comments had been passed to the design team.

you'd think that they would at least look at two Vulcans, perhaps only scan one but visual look at another to find any differences that need looking into further...

I hope that they can do something about the canopy...

17 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Should definitely be Medium Sea Grey on a Vulcan. There may have been a few early on that were on DSG (XM600 apparently, but I've never seen a photo to confirm). 

Later on of course they did switch to DSG when wrap around camouflage was introduced and all aircraft repainted in that scheme used DSG instead of MSG other than XH558 which remains in MSG. 

I have a strong recollection of an Aviation News (the original Alan Hall-produced "newspaper" version) issue with Vulcan scale plans and profile carrying a photo of XM600 in its one-off DSG scheme.  This would have been in the late 1970s, I'd say.

• 1 month later...

While the kit is unaffordable, my partner has very generously offered to buy me a couple for my birthday!! 😃😃.

Unfortunately, she has a liking for expensive perfumes so, I guess there will be a cost later..... 😉😂.

I rather fancy doing one in that beautiful "raspberry ripple" colour scheme and, the other (I think it was XM607?) that had the sand /mid stone underside camouflage for the Red Flag exercises!

John

Ps. Did the Victor and Vulcan use the same bomb carriers? I would like to stuff the Victor's bomb bay with 1000lb bombs which  will be left over from the Vulcans! 😊

• Like 1

On 24/11/2020 at 22:06, Adam Poultney said:

0d4349ee7309eaf9914018ba1215488a.jpg
a1d7a33722c67485b770bd7810f86fe3.jpg62a17481c59012ec8cc36ab2b2740f5a.jpg
ffc3236a245579f6db679bb61f8bdb76.jpg

579337967e96df35ac7b77a46c5b492e.jpg

I like raised rivets on kits. If they are too heavy its easier to rub them down to a more acceptable level than it is to fill them all. Not only that the pics here for example show raised ones and on a model would be more realistic.

Just now, k5054nz said:

When was this released? I'm surprised I've not seen any build threads.

if only it was.... delayed by what seems like forever. I think there saying April now or something. At this rate I'll be lucky to get a build in before I go to uni and have to move to smaller kits

• Sad 1

On 14/01/2021 at 22:31, Adam Poultney said:

At this rate I'll be lucky to get a build in before I go to uni

Don't worry, it'll keep ☢️

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2021 at 11:01 PM, Adam Poultney said:

think I'm going to need one

Only one Adam?

• 2 weeks later...