New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

Well looks like I'm finally hyped enough for this release to start restocking my supply of Vulcan decals in 72nd.

I've pretty much decided my first build of the kit will be XH557 in anti flash white with mismatched jetpipes when she was fitted with a pair of 301s in the left wing and 201s in the right wing. I'm all out of 18" serials in 72 scale but there's a few nice decal sheets that have been released recently.... 

f0e44f673d177c4ce1f46008737dd260.jpg

• Like 6

Given the power difference between the 201s and 301s, the pilot of XH557 must have had to open those throttles carefully to avoid flying round in circles (or, if taking off, a very messy ground loop). I wonder if the 1&2 and 3&4 throttles were calibrated differently?

22 hours ago, IanC said:

SIX !!??

Is a family member moving out? 😉

Me..... in a year for uni..... The new tool Vulcans will probably be my last big project before that

21 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Nah he's going to arrange them like the wedges in a Trivial Pursuit holder ;)

haha well that will definitely happen for a photo! Although I'm not sure 6 will fit into 360 degrees......

23 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Given the power difference between the 201s and 301s, the pilot of XH557 must have had to open those throttles carefully to avoid flying round in circles (or, if taking off, a very messy ground loop). I wonder if the 1&2 and 3&4 throttles were calibrated differently?

I'm going to be looking into this for something soon, currently just finding sources for any info 

2 minutes ago, chrisrope said:

[comment not appropriate for this forum]

9 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

They literally have the kit in production though...... They showed off a test build! 

Not necessarily, the test build is from a few shots off the mould to check that it works and highlight any issues. Given the problems with Covid that India (plastic) are facing, plus Italy (decals) plus UK (box and instructions), it is no surprise that the kit is delayed. 

You have only have to go to the supermarket to realise how much the supply chain is under stress.

• 3 weeks later...

Given how long the wait has been that's not long in the big scheme of things. Besides , when it does arrive it will be "unbuildable" and the wheels will need replacing with after market items, the cockpit glazing will be too clear.....🧥

Keith 🙃

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sammy da fish said:

I have heard a strong rumour that the Airfix Vulcan will not be released until March?
sammy

More than just a rumour

https://hornby.hornbynews.com/2TFV-12VET-36182E6AA27ABFD35EV04Q9995D43842BE5E17/cr.aspx?fbclid=IwAR3HtRj4gsyM6GP3TsGLc6zKK5lG8tsz5YF5l36FKTBGXQoU2V8KgnV6-VQ

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Sad 1

XH557 in anti flash white with mismatched jetpipes when she was fitted with a pair of 301s in the left wing and 201s in the right wing. 

Not quite right Adam. XH577 flew with 301s in the outer nacelles and 201s in the inners. The power differential would have been problematic if 301s were fitted to one wing only, it's all about balance.  Once the engine tests were complete, 577 was fitted with 301s.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Not quite right Adam. XH577 flew with 301s in the outer nacelles and 201s in the inners. The power differential would have been problematic if 301s were fitted to one wing only, it's all about balance.  Once the engine tests were complete, 577 was fitted with 301s.

I was thinking that it was odd, but I then don't understand why the jetpipes were mismatched. I believe XA902 had a similar inter and outer configuration with Conways and later Speys.

The photo above in the thread shows these, as does a photo in a book I have which has a picture with XH557 in front of XA894 in flight, this book says:

"At this time XH557 was also bring used as a test bed by Bristol Siddeley and, as can be seen from the different exhausts, had Olympus 301s installed on the port side and 201s on the Starboard."

Any further sources on this you could direct me to? Always interested in getting more V Force books and other reference material

Info on XH577 is sketchy, however two books I have to hand are, Modern Combat Aircraft 11, V-Bombers, by Robert Jackson, page 59 ''In May 1961, Vulcan B2 XH577 flew from Patchway with two 17,000lb st Olympus 201 engines in the inboard nacelles and two 20,000lb st Olympus 301s outboard'' and  The Vulcan Story 1952-2002, by Tim Laming, page 221 ''11/XH577: Completed 13.5.60 Olympus 201/301 engines. To Bristol Siddeley for engine trials 21.6.60. Fitted with Mk.301 engines in outer nacelles, later fitted with four 301's. First B2 with enlarged intakes.'' I'll have a look through the many other references I have and see if there's any more on this subject. The photo is interesting as it does seem to show shortened tailpipes on numbers 1,2 and 4 engines but in that regard I also read that different styles of tailpipe were also being trialled at the time. 

• Like 1

I  must admit I thought it was two 301s in one side only, and those pics kind of back that up I think.

Don't forget Rolls Royce and engine test-bed pilots had to put up with all sorts of strange power arrangements, sometimes asymmetric.  It was due to the two different versions of Avon fitted, and their quite different low speed acceleration properties that was responsible for the loss of Lancastrian VL790 and its test crew during an attempted overshoot.

• Like 1

Looking through references, it would appear that, during her three years as the Olympus 301 testbed, she flew with a combination of engine configurations, including the installation of two and then three 301s before finally having all four fitted. Also in 1960 XH577 trialled two Olympus 21A test engines which were fitted in the left engine bays after which a combination of 21As and 301s were flown. While testing, the aircraft had a close encounter with a garage at the end of the Filton runway when landing midway down the runway, in poor weather and rapidly running out of space, the combination of full take-off power and streamed but undeployed brake chute, removed a lamp standard, steel fencing and four petrol pumps, fortunately landing safely at the diversion airfield at St Mawgan..... an interesting airframe.

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

New by Kits World Decals

Source: https://www.facebook.com/kitsworlddecals/posts/665172277406297

The boss has been messing with his camera all day trying to figure out how best to photograph this little beauty, so hopefully he has done it some justice!

Here is thew forthcoming interior set for the Avro Vulcan!

123606936-665172224072969-43774008222856

V.P.

• Like 8

As there is no Telford this year, I wonder what will be the big kit for late 2021? We now know the Vulcan and some others are going to be late, will any other new releases planned for '21 be announced?