New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Hoping the iron bomb version comes out first given my inability to spray white, going to be a long wait otherwise 

You do realise that the  bomb bay and bomb carriers are all painted white?

Selwyn

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Phil Gollin said:

Vulcan B.1, followed by a Victor B.1, followed by a Valiant B.2, and finally a Short Sperrin.

Easy.

Mmm yes. 

Swap the sperin and Valiant though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, percival p. said:

Apologies for the diversion and a possibly stupid question, but I take it from this recommendation that appliance white works well on a large flat surface: would it also be suitable for the underside of a 1/72 Skyhawk? I ask this because I can imagine a paint that is designed for something on a domestic scale to spray on quite fiercely and clog up the nooks and crannies of a small model.

Well it went onto my smaller scale V Bombers just fine so I don't see there being any problems. Panel lines are often overscale anyway. Just you're probably best off to apply it in two coats over a white primer and basecoat. It's very opaque which is nice for a white so preshading should be quite aggressive.

3 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

So now that we have a vulcan what can we beg for and kick and scream until we get next?

Valiant reissue?

Repeat after me (ad nauseum): V E N O M ...

(Although a new Canberra B.2/6/20 would be nice, as well ...)

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

A lot of after market resin producers will be disappointed as they have put so much work into improving the old kit.

I reiterate my offer to dispose of all those now-useless aftermarket products. 😀

1 hour ago, percival p. said:

Apologies for the diversion and a possibly stupid question, but I take it from this recommendation that appliance white works well on a large flat surface: would it also be suitable for the underside of a 1/72 Skyhawk? I ask this because I can imagine a paint that is designed for something on a domestic scale to spray on quite fiercely and clog up the nooks and crannies of a small model.

If you have an airbrush, you can always decant from the spray can and thin it to your liking/as appropriate.

• Like 1

Hi chaps, I'm glad the model has gone down well. I was asked by Airfix to provide the research on this one, which hopefully will result in the best Vulcan  out there. Working alongside the designer has been fun and while there are still some tweaks to apply, it's certainly getting there. Please don't ask for any specifics at this point as a  firing  squad would have be the answer... 

Melchie

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

Have no doubt that its going to be huge seller, my only wish is that like Victor is labelled made in Britain, thus far better injection process and higher quality plastic.

Probably one of the most sensible suggestions written of late. The Victor's surface detail is superb, surely the Vulcan deserves the same attention even if production and flow on retail costs need to be raised to cover it. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I really didn't think it would be the Vulcan, given the old one is currently listed for pre-order on Airfix's website, but am very glad to be proven wrong, as I will certainly be buying the new one!

9 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Hi chaps, I'm glad the model has gone down well. I was asked by Airfix to provide the research on this one, which hopefully will result in the best Vulcan  out there. Working alongside the designer has been fun and while there are still some tweaks to apply, it's certainly getting there. Please don't ask for any specifics at this point as a  firing  squad would have be the answer... 

Melchie

Nice! 

Did you provide any research that hasn't shown up in CAD/model form yet, no specifics as you said but an exciting yes, little yes or no would do 😂

If they haven't asked about B1s please let them know that there are those here who would buy a great number of them, including @robvulcanand myself, and it seems a few on Facebook as well who wanted a B1

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichG said:

Is it just me or is there something about the association of Airfix with the Vulcan that sorta feels right - made for each other. :goodjob: 

Oh and whilst we are just spotting details,  anyone notice they seem to have done intake covers too for those that want to add a splash of colour to an all white scheme or perhaps avoid tricky masking on the camouflage aircraft. I love it when Airfix add those little details.

spacer.png

Well done guys for making my wish list smaller each year :thumbsup:.  Now whilst we are on the subject of jet bombers, about that Canberra B2/B6 in 1/72... (just joking...)

Rich  

i wonder how many of us who own a few of the older kit will rob these intake covers to cover the intakes on the old tool

• Like 7

Great to see a new Vulcan,...... those asking,.... what next,........ well we need another RAF 4 engined heavy which has seen service all over the world and with countless other nations too,..... in all sorts of wars and campaign`s,........ yes,....... the C-130 Hercules!!! 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

I see our modelling prayers have been answered, Airfix are in the process of designing and tooling a new Avro Vulcan for release November 2020. Check out the 3D rendering on their website

No offense, but to who's modeling prayers are you referring?  Certainly not mine.  I can think of any number of other kits that I'd sooner see materialize well before this one.  Honestly, the Vulcan would not even place on any list of mine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

9 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Repeat after me (ad nauseum): V E N O M ...

(Although a new Canberra B.2/6/20 would be nice, as well ...)

I SEA what your doing there.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, WV908 said:

Erm, is that a cast nose weight?!? 

Cheers,

WV908

The designer said, they have made a separate piece so you can fill it with your choice of material which you can then attach to the  bulkhead to keep the nose down, as shown in the cad.

Regards

Robert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, delticfan said:

Oh a nice ground equipment and vehicles set from the late 70s early 80s would be cool.

To include some Liney's in various poses such as pushing the Houchin into position, carrying out a percussive adjustment on "x" piece of equipment or just scratching their heads wondering just how the aircrew just managed to break the groundcrew's precious charge!  Bound to be a winner!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wez said:

To include some Liney's in various poses such as pushing the Houchin into position, carrying out a percussive adjustment on "x" piece of equipment or just scratching their heads wondering just how the aircrew just managed to break the groundcrew's precious charge!  Bound to be a winner!

I'd really like to see some aircrew/groundcrew figures from the 50s and 60s preferably not in 'action' poses.  When you see photos of aircraft on flightlines etc there are often a couple of bods sort of standing around as opposed to running, waving or doing something.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Meatbox8 said:

When you see photos of aircraft on flightlines etc there are often a couple of bods sort of standing around as opposed to running, waving or doing something.

I think you are confused sir!  The groundcrew are always doing something...   ...quite what is another matter!

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, Wez said:

I think you are confused sir!  The groundcrew are always doing something...   ...quite what is another matter!

Of course.  They are probably mentally pre-planning how they are going to unbend 'their' aircraft when the pilot gives it back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3