New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

I am really looking forward to seeing all your builds of this kit in the WIP section of this forum. After all, after having waited for this kit for so long, now that you got it, you don't want to just put in it your stash and leave it there for the next decade but actually go and build it...... right? 😉

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RobertF said:

I am really looking forward to seeing all your builds of this kit in the WIP section of this forum. After all, after having waited for this kit for so long, now that you got it, you don't want to just put in it your stash and leave it there for the next decade but actually go and build it...... right? 😉

Seems to only be two WIPs up so far including my own... come on Britmodeller, I need more Vulcan content!

8 hours ago, RobertF said:

After all, after having waited for this kit for so long, now that you got it, you don't want to just put in it your stash and leave it there for the next decade but actually go and build it...... right? 😉

Its a very good point, Robert.  

How often do we eagerly await the long anticipated arrival of some new superkit or of one of a subject that's been on our wishlist forever and then it finds its way to the stash? I'm sure psychologists must have a term for it - I guess it accounts for the existence of the stash in the first place. Personally I am determined to build this one (mine's not yet arrived, M'lud) and maybe as payback I'll dig out an Airfix "classic" Vulcan that's been in my stash for a decade (ahem...) and build it alongside. I had intended to build a V-Bomber pad base/diorama whilst I waited for the kit's arrival.  I already have a Coastal Kits base, but I'm currently thinking of maybe using that as a pattern and doing my own (static grass etc). 

spacer.png

Rich   

Edited by RichG
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, RichG said:

I'm sure psychologists must have a term for it - I guess it accounts for the existence of the stash in the first place.

Some research suggests it might be something called the "Diderot Effect" - a desire for things we don't really need. The Diderot Effect states that obtaining a new possession often creates a spiral of consumption which leads you to acquire more new things. As a result, we end up buying things that our previous selves never needed to feel happy or fulfilled. I think this effect might also be linked closely to AMS - Advanced Modellers Syndrome.

Hmm there could be a subject for a Phd here...🤔  nah, I'd never finish it!   :rofl:   

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, RichG said:

Some research suggests it might be something called the "Diderot Effect" - a desire for things we don't really need. The Diderot Effect states that obtaining a new possession often creates a spiral of consumption which leads you to acquire more new things. As a result, we end up buying things that our previous selves never needed to feel happy or fulfilled. I think this effect might also be linked closely to AMS - Advanced Modellers Syndrome.

Hmm there could be a subject for a Phd here...🤔  nah, I'd never finish it!   :rofl:   

Perhaps leading to another AMS - After Market Syndrome?

Back in the days when I had just one build on the go (a very long time ago) there was only ever one instance of AM and that was a set of decals. Now even before a new kit has hit my loft... erm... I mean, landed on my workbench, I’m instinctively listing the AM I ‘need’. 😬🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since a lot of people seem to be asking, no can cannot build a Black Buck Vulcan from the kit. The pylons and bits to go on the pylons are not included. However it is evidently planned to include these in a future rebox as locating holes are flashed over in the relevant positions.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 11:45 PM, Nocoolname said:

Perhaps leading to another AMS - After Market Syndrome?

I think I would rather call this GMS:  Greedy Modeller's Syndrome.

Symptoms are: well, I am sure I don't have to elaborate, you all will be familiar with them to some extent. 

No adequate cure found yet, but the syndrome can be slowed down by depleted credit cards and bank accounts

And I will be the first to admit I am suffering from it.  

Update:

-13.07.21: Rapidly received a lovely spare piece courtesy of the Airfix spares department :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Presumably that hole isn't supposed to be there?

51303877257_3ec5bf60cb_c.jpg

This issue aside, what a stunningly detailed kit!

Edited by cathasatail
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, cathasatail said:

Presumably that hole isn't supposed to be there?

51303877257_3ec5bf60cb_c.jpg

This issue aside, what a stunningly detailed kit!

It's a disgrace, I had short shot wing parts an a Hurricane and a current Blenheim build.  I wish they would sort out their quality, never seen this in other manufacturers.

Davey.

Just now, DaveyGair said:

It's a disgrace, I had short shot wing parts an a Hurricane and a current Blenheim build.  I wish they would sort out their quality, never seen this in other manufacturers.

Davey.

I must say that Airfix's QC has been very poor indeed on the Vulcan

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Sad 2

59 minutes ago, FZ6 said:

I opened mine this morning and have two lower wing halves but no uppers

Ouch. 

I got two sets of lower wings in one of mine and no uppers.

I emailed Airfix and they are sending spares. They'll ask for the batch number on the little white sticker on the bottom of the box and proof of purchase when you put your request in 🙂

Cheers,

WV908

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, WV908 said:

Ouch. 

I got two sets of lower wings in one of mine and no uppers.

I emailed Airfix and they are sending spares. They'll ask for the batch number on the little white sticker on the bottom of the box and proof of purchase when you put your request in 🙂

Cheers,

WV908

Thanks for the extra info.

Yes same as me then. I wasn’t sure if I should go back to Jadlam or Airfix. Will try Airfix first and give them the batch number.

I wonder if some owners have two sets of uppers...

Regards,

mark

5 minutes ago, FZ6 said:

Thanks for the extra info.

Yes same as me then. I wasn’t sure if I should go back to Jadlam or Airfix. Will try Airfix first and give them the batch number.

I wonder if some owners have two sets of uppers...

Regards,

mark

Theoretically there must be at least two people with two sets of uppers. 

Mine was from Jadlam too but they are not able to help with spares. A direct line to the Airfix spares department is the way to go.

Jadlam at best can give you a refund as they are out of stock now. 

Cheers,

WV908

Man, this Vulcan release is sounding like a real problem child for Airfix! 

We've all been crying out for sprues in separate bags for ages and now this happens? 

It appears QC is actually getting a lot worse, not better.

I'd forgo no new 2022 announcements in order for them to get this right, it's simply not good enough. :fraidnot:

Cheers.. Dave 

On 7/11/2021 at 5:57 PM, cathasatail said:

UPDATE:

I have to say, I am completely in awe of the Airfix spares department. This morning I received a jolly well packaged pristine replacement wing part, in an astonishingly short space of time (sent 1st class).

So hats off to the Airfix team! It's one thing to have a problem with the moulding but how they respond to it speaks volumes, and from my perspective they have responded to it excellently 👍

• Like 3

Nice to know, however I’m sure even the Spares department are scratching their heads asking what went wrong with this Vulcan kit. Let’s hope the 2nd run of kits is produced somewhere else (like the UK?) or at least in a place where the QC department is managed by someone who is actually awake on the job! 

Has anyone else found that their cockpit sprues are so thick with mould release agent that they've had to scrub them? 

I've never known it be this bad.

Weirdly, the 'dodgy' kit out of my three has problems all around. It has warped sprues, a few damaged parts and it looks like one of the sprues has been through a glitter factory.

To me it looks as if this first batch was rushed through two different factories as the differences between the kits are quite major.

Cheers,

WV908

Nothing is dampening my enthusiasm for this kit.

Checking my kits & washing some mould release agent off is a lot easier than filling & rescribing! 

I now have replacement upper wings from Airfix. Email sent Tuesday replied with a request for the information @WV908 mentioned on Wednesday. Wings were posted Thursday and received Friday. That was a quick turnaround.

• Like 2

Can anyone confirm the measurements for a Blue Steel handling trolley please? I have the AIM 3D printed one and it looks to be more like 1/48 scale than 1/72. Using the SAM scale rule, in 1/48 it measures just shy of 23' long by 6'9" wide but using the 1/72 measurements it scales out at nearly 34' long by 10' wide. I also cannot get the (unbuilt lower half of) the Airfix Blue Steel to line up with the cradle points on the trolley as per reference photos.

Mark.