New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

Which markings will the new Vulcan have? And how big is its wingspan? 

I may be tempted to buy one and add it to my Malvinas/Falklands collection.

4 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

I think it’s just the two markings shown. A quick Google tells me the wingspan is  33.83m.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

It will have markings for two aircraft: XM602 in white and XM594 in early camo. If you want a Falkands one, you will need aftermarket decals and need to find a set of pylons for it as they will not be included (I suspect Black Buck will be the first rebox of the kit).

For quick reference, basic info needed for each scheme:

XM602 (1962):

Olympus 301 engines

One ECM plate

Early style tail bumper

No red, dome-shaped anti collision light covers (introduced 1966)

No RWR fairing

No TFR blister or TFR mod (so nose tip should be smooth, no circular plate over where the TFR blister would otherwise be)

No X-Band Jammer (introduced 1967)

Full set of Skybolt attachment blisters

Early style VHF aerials 

Anti Flash White, pale markings. 12 Sqn insignia on tail.

XM594 (1966):

Olympus 301 engines

Two ECM plates (second fitted 1962-64)

Later style tail bumper (fitted by 1965)

Check photos for anti collision light covers (introduced 1966, all had them by 1968)

No RWR fairing

No TFR blister (same as XM602 c.1962)

No X-Band Jammer

Skybolt coolant blister only

Blue Steel Missile

Early style VHF aerials

Early gloss camouflage (medium sea grey and dark green) over white, probably soft edged but check photos (not of the aircraft as it is today, it is hard edged now). Type D roundels. 84" roundel only on the left wing in early camouflage schemes. Black painted radome and fin cap. No Sqn badge on the tail

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2021 at 11:18 AM, Adam Poultney said:

For quick reference, basic info needed for each scheme:

Hi Adam,

didn't you have a handy spreadsheet for which engine / intake / exhaust / airframe combination worked?

Posting it here or linking to it would be most useful.

Just don't call them B,.2A!

Vulcan B2A - Olympus 301 or Blue Steel [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums

3 minutes ago, At Sea said:

Hi Adam,

didn't you have a handy spreadsheet for which engine / intake / exhaust / airframe combination worked?

Posting it here or linking to it would be most useful.

Yes, I did. I'll post it here in a bit. I found a few errors in it so I want to go back through it and correct the mistakes.

4 minutes ago, At Sea said:

Just don't call them B,.2A!

Vulcan B2A - Olympus 301 or Blue Steel [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums

B2A - never officially existed. They were just a Vulcan B2. 

Thanks!

The Pprune thread is quite handbaggy.  

I have the Airscale Vulcan decal sheet and it allows you to make almost any Anti-Flash White B2, I was thinking 83 Squadron Blue Steel or maybe a 617 Squadron Blue Steel as per the old tool boxing.

But will have to choose carefully so I don't end up with something inaccurate like my Victor B.2R. 

resized_30fb5d38-449a-4c04-8319-9d9a49e0

Ok so I'm calling this done for tonight. I just realised I spent at least 6 hours on this just now... oops! Oh well, have some Vulcan knowledge.

Need to add more photos showing what each bit is, and things that were refitted to all Vulcan B2s (tail cone tip when ECM equipment was changed, late tail bumper, etc) and I need to visit more Vulcans to collect photos of specific features.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ljleemPGEVyH360F-DqwZqu5iB3LrcqL/view?usp=sharing

Edit: download and open in Excell, Drive doesn't seem to let you scroll sideways and there are currently 31 columns 

Edit 2: new version uploaded

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8

Same, I'll get one later this year hopefully.

A sign of the times I suppose? Its been the same for me buying high end computer parts, at least we are not getting crazy price scalpers in this hobby, just limited availability at launch sometimes, seems mostly Airfix? not been following the trend too closely though ... wonder if this will extend to Tamiya's Phantom launch too?

14 hours ago, Neil Lambess said:

Fingers ctossed it arrives soon ....I want to build the one in RNZAF roundel I saw as a kid !

XH562, I did it a few months ago in 1/144. 

IMG_20210223_015603769

• Like 4

Adam, thank you for making and posting the Vulcan spreadsheet.  I have a few pictures inside and out of the Vulcan at the Castle Air Force Base museum but they were taken in 2003 and I'm not that proud of them.   I'm going to build the old Vulcan as a warm up, have the Wolfpack sets to spruce it up.

33 minutes ago, sniperUK said:

Looking like it's in stock, my payment for my preorder has just been taken 😁

Mine has now Ive updated my card details, the pre-order was made so long ago, the stored card  had expired 😁

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Adam Poultney said:

So now that we're finally getting these, what schemes are we all planning to paint them in?

Im still undecided. I have a Valiant on pre-order to go with this Vulcan and the Victor I already have. Not sure how to spread schemes across the 3 yet or what 'story' I want to tell

Current thinking for paint schemes is the Valiant in Anti-Flash white, the Victor camo over white and the Vulcan full wrap-around, but which air frame or variant  to go for , no idea, it will probably be determined on how much work I want to commit to it

I just got an email too (through Airfix)!

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

So now that we're finally getting these, what schemes are we all planning to paint them in?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go for XH558. The first time I saw her was at the 2015 Throckmorton airshow, and I don't think I'll ever forget that day.

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 2

Probably mid sixties to mid seventies as that is when I saw them the most either flying around or at Air Shows. Vivid memories of the four Vulcan scrambles at Waddington or Finningley.  I recall they used to time the scrambles, from the order to the last aircraft clear of the airfield was under two minutes (the crews were  on board as they would have been at certain times). Watching Vulcans rock forward on the their nose gear as the run up for take off and feeling the ground shake is still one of my best memories of watching aircraft. Just glad it was never for real. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 12:36 AM, Adam Poultney said:

Ok so I'm calling this done for tonight. I just realised I spent at least 6 hours on this just now... oops! Oh well, have some Vulcan knowledge.

Need to add more photos showing what each bit is, and things that were refitted to all Vulcan B2s (tail cone tip when ECM equipment was changed, late tail bumper, etc) and I need to visit more Vulcans to collect photos of specific features.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ljleemPGEVyH360F-DqwZqu5iB3LrcqL/view?usp=sharing

Edit: download and open in Excell, Drive doesn't seem to let you scroll sideways and there are currently 31 columns 

Edit 2: new version uploaded

Wow, that is one excellent piece of work. Thanks for sharing Adam!