New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 8:38 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

I simply cannot get round this fad for flooding panel lines with gallons of "wash"!

Is it an age thing? 😉😂.

Why accentuate panel lines on this fashion. Real aeroplanes do not have their panel joints flooded with "washes"! For sure, they do get dirty and worn but, evenly and neatly along their entire lengths?

But,  the patchwork quilt looks that are so favoured by many modellers just look (in my opinion anyway) darn silly and unrealistic.

John.

On 3/20/2021 at 9:39 AM, Nocoolname said:

But many aircraft still have 'lines' - the demarcation between one panel and the next and which has been accentuated by dirt, oil or other factors - and they 'do' show up, quite clearly in many cases and in photos that when reduced in size would be comparable to the scales we use.

But its really down to the modeller as to whether they wish to represent these as close to the image of the 'real thing' as they can (for me, in this case, I would go for a much lighter wash for selective panel areas only and aim for a more 'blended' look) or wish to go for something that is simply more pleasing to them.

These are after all, personal works of 'art' rather than just assembly, and driven by the imagination of the perception of the creator. There is no right or wrong way. Scale modelling is an art and a hobby and while the manufacturers put in extraordinary efforts to give us high fidelity components, the outputs are governed by imagination rather than doctrine.

Every build of this kit will be a 'right' build whether it has faded camo, heavy lines, bleached panels or massive go-faster stripes with a Rebel Alliance signet. 😊

I say to each their own and celebrate each other's choice of how to represent their model. I can't wait to get mine (please Airfix... will you put a pedal on with this...?!? :pray:) and will look to build mine a little rough and faded and will also go for airbrushed edges to the camo rather than sharp, because that's the look that I like for my models 🙂

On 3/20/2021 at 11:13 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

No argument here. As long as people are happy with their models, I guess everything else is moot!.

Be very boring if we all agreed with each other!!

John ( seriously considering the smart, clean, pristine "raspberry ripple"  colour scheme look! 😉😂

Cards on the table time - I've never weathered a model and not painted that many either. However I have been asking questions and looking at a lot of photos. So :2c:...

Setting aside the right to make your model as you wish for a moment, I find it strange that so many comment on accuracy of decals, plastic, detail level, how pumped up the tyres are, and detail at the front of a jet pipe that's all but invisible, then will present a finish that would get you shot for sabotage in some armies. Sometime ago I got my Frightening Trainer to the paint stage and had a long chat with a friend who worked on them until the end. His words 'a clean Lightning has no fluid in it and has certainly never left the ground'. I was then guided round as to what appeared, where, and why, so undercarriage bay doors clean (Usually) behind then mainly oil and hydraulic fluid, any dirt that stuck to it was removed pretty quickly. He was also pretty sure that paint would never be on an active airframe long enough to fade.

So BOT a display model like a showroom car should be shown at it's best to attract customers, a grubby looking specimen implies a lack of care which extends to the creation of the product. When I used to work in a paint shop the most successful car dealer was Ford. This was because they'd send us or our rivals (very even-handed) their showroom car, after having all the doors, boot, bonnet and such aligned, to have the trim, windows, fuel filler and the like removed before the masked bare body was smoothed, polished and lacquered until it was mirror finish. The window glass and other bits were given similar work before the vehicle was very carefully reassembled covered with blankets and wheeled into the showroom. The difference was he had a proper mansion with well-looked after and motivated employees, the next nearest Ford dealer had a high turnover of staff and a far more modest house on an estate. Bling sells.      

I read (skimmed...) through all 33 pages of this thread before commenting just to be sure I was caught up on everything.

Personally I'd hoped for a Falklands decal option in the box, but having seen that this was originally slated for a 2020 release I suppose (on that time scale) it would have made sense to do the initial release as it is, and then a year later (give or take) offer a Black Buck boxing to coincide with the 40th anniversary of the conflict.

I don't even realistically have shelf space for one Vulcan, but I'll find a way to make some... that means I'm just going to wait for the inevitable re-release.

Coming Soon™

Edited by RaceAddict

• 1 month later...

Well Airfix tease once more it seems

Their latest mail shot promoting Fathers Day gifts link the Vulcan in pride of place, where it still has it on pre-order and a release of Spring 2021

So there are either going to be a few disappointed fathers who get a receipt given to them, or can we dare to hope a release in the next couple of weeks?

Mark

On 20/03/2021 at 14:04, Adam Poultney said:

Honestly I'm not even sure that museum wants its Vulcan then 😂 

XM597 has to be one of the most significant surviving Vulcans. It deserves a lot better than this

On 20/03/2021 at 14:10, AliGauld said:

Absolutely, She deserves a lot better.

I heard a story a few years back that the then management wanted civil aircraft only as military subjects were not “on message” 

I add the caveat that this was not confirmed info but just what was doing the rounds. 

The tree objections torpedoed the plans despite any work around that might have been possible being put forward. I won’t add more as yes the decision was highly political and tbh I suspect the decision to refuse by East Lothian Council was so motivated. That’s a pity but it’s a finished matter. 

My own view is that an overarching authority should be funded to acquire and properly preserve important airframes nationally with compulsory acquisition powers to take endangered important specimens from museums who are failing to look after those aircraft properly.  In short if you can’t look after it you lose it. No excuses accepted. 

IMHO the East Fortune Vulcan and other outdoor subjects are a disgrace and have been obvious worries for decades with nothing much being done to look after them. They get worse every time I go there and that’s been a few decades now. Good Lord it’s not rocket science to know an airframe left outside in UK weather will decompose pretty quickly in the scheme of things 

• Like 2

On 20/03/2021 at 00:14, stever219 said:

The two Vulcans I can think of are XL319 at Blackpool and XM569 at Cardiff.......

🙂 XL 319 is at the former RAF Usworth...... I think it was XL391 that was scrapped.
vulcan70.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

🙂 XL 319 is at the former RAF Usworth...... I think it was XL391 that was scrapped.
vulcan70.jpg

yep 319 is still around and looking good

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

if this is accurate I won't have time to build one before I'm off to uni. Might have to cancel my pre order....

If it is like all the other dates they have quoted you won't get it til Christmas

I am not going to hold my breath

Airfix still say this spring, well that went out the window Monday, it's now summer

Airfix have not long uploaded a close up video of their Vulcan kit on Facebook. They have also commented to say “A little birdie has told me you won’t be waiting much longer”. Now what that actually means is anyone’s guess, however it looks more like this side of Christmas in my opinion. 

Perhaps, roll this one out as soon as possible and take the time to go back and fix that droopy Chipmunk wing. 

Cheers.. Dave 

On 6/2/2021 at 6:00 PM, cherry268 said:

If it is like all the other dates they have quoted you won't get it til Christmas

I am not going to hold my breath

Airfix still say this spring, well that went out the window Monday, it's now summer

It may have escaped your attention in that cloistered shire but for the last eighteen months or so much of the world has been in the grip of a medical emergency without parallel in modern times.  Airfix have very long supply chains for their kits which, unfortunately, include two of the most seriously affected countries, India (moulding) and Italy (transfers).  It’s also entirely possible that, in view of some of the comments concerning the prototype build featured in AMW and on this forum, that the moulds have been reworked to further improve what appears to be a very impressive product (there’s precedent for this in the lovely Whitley kit).  I’m sure that most, if not all, of us have a spare kit or two sculling around to keep us occupied ‘til this one hits the shelves in our LHSs.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 7

56 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I’m sure that most, if not all, of us have a spare kit or two sculling around to keep us occupied ‘til this one hits the shelves in our LHSs.

You know what they say.... :P 

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Airfix have not long uploaded a close up video of their Vulcan kit on Facebook. They have also commented to say “A little birdie has told me you won’t be waiting much longer”. Now what that actually means is anyone’s guess, however it looks more like this side of Christmas in my opinion. 

They have replied to the instgram post saying their 'first shipment lands within the month'

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stever219 said:

It may have escaped your attention in that cloistered shire but for the last eighteen months or so much of the world has been in the grip of a medical emergency without parallel in modern times.  Airfix have very long night supply chains for their kits which, unfortunately, include two of the most seriously affected countries, India (moulding) and Italy (transfers).  It’s also entirely possible that, in view of some of the comments concerning the prototype build featured in AMW and on this forum, that the moulds have been reworked to further improve what appears to be a very impressive product (there’s precedent for this in the lovely Whitley kit).  I’m sure that most, if not all, of us have a spare kit or two sculling around to keep us occupied ‘til this one hits the shelves in our LHSs.

As a purchaser and supplier of agricultural and horticultural spare parts I have to deal with delivery dates being promised and put back all the time so I am fully aware of the situation in the world. Took me 4 months to get an air cleaner cover for a quad bike and we still can't get a certain battery for one. What I said was not a complaint just a cold fact that at the moment every promised delivery date invariably gets altered and was in response to Adam Poultney's remark about cancelling preorder as he was going to university.

The Airfix e-mail I just received says

"The 1:72 scale Avro Vulcan B.2 will be arriving VERY soon and can be yours for £59.99!"

Now what exactly "Very soon" means is a matter of perception, but it is all relative anyway. There are more important things in life, as well as other kits waiting to be built. (not sure if I should duck for cover now)

Robert 

Could be some un happy folks if what I am hearing is true, that like the Beaufort it could be a Corporal Jones ( rationing his meat) and stores not getting what they ordered.

I have been told already it could be split between June and August ( we do not get ours direct but from a wholesaler (sub distribution) 

But we will have enough to clear our pre-orders.

Edited by TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED
  • Like 1