New decal sheet from Xtradecal for this. Covers:

XH562, 9 Sqn, 1972, kiwi zapped

XM575, 101 Sqn, 1975

XJ871, 12 Sqn, 1963

XM607, Black Buck 1982

XL426, 83 Sqn, 1961

XM600, 8 Sqn, 1966 DSG camo

XM570, 27 Sqn, 1973.

At a glance, I see some questionable ones on there. They have incorrectly labeled XM607 and XM570 as a Vulcan B2(MRR). The scheme for XH562 suggests you remove the TFR blister which is incorrect.

They have some odd roundels included for Black Buck ones. I don't know if they are accurate, but it certainly seems odd as they suggest they were modified from regular type D roundels, which had been gone from the Vulcans since the 70s. 

The painting guide also suggests that XM600 had type D roundels on both wings, which would be very odd if that was the case. 

Regardless of any errors, it's probably on my list of decals to buy for the new Vulcans. I don't plan on doing any of those particular airframes anyway, possibly except XM600 (although I'm thinking a smaller scale for that one) but there are plenty of useful decals.

• Like 2

I shall be getting my Vulcan decals reprinted :)

Can anyone advise on the correct colours for the Anti Flash pale blue and pink please, are those included the Airfix Victor kit the correct colours?

Cheers

Ray

• Like 3

On 08/02/2021 at 14:29, general melchett said:

XH538, for starters, I'll see what else I have.

1-Haunebu006.jpg

What a stunning looking aircraft the Vulcan is in this picture ... Very Inspirational 👍

• Like 1

Jumblies had it on their site as dispatched on 30/4-21 but  see that has now slipped until 30/6/21

Probably be in time for Telford!!

If it's on

https://www.jumbliesmodels.com/plastic-kits-c3/aviation-kits-c4/airfix-1-72-avro-vulcan-b-2-aircraft-model-kit-p16755

On 03/03/2021 at 12:02, Dave Swindell said:

BS381C 172 Pale Roundel Blue

BS381C 454 Pale Roundel Red

On 03/03/2021 at 12:55, 26Decals said:

Thanks Dave, I will get the printers to match the decals to those colours :)

Aren't those too late to be the correct colours for the Vulcan - they will be the colours for the 80s to present day?

I think they were only added to BS381C in the late 80s

I have seen a document for the Valiant that said that the pink was 5 parts red/1 part white  and the blue 3 parts blue 1 of white by weight, and a late 60s document that gives BS381C 111 as the Pale Blue but no BS reference for Pale Red. I recall Compucolor had several variants of RAF/RN Pale colours

Edited by Dave Fleming

41 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Aren't those too late to be the correct colours for the Vulcan - they will be the colours for the 80s to present day?

I think they were only added to BS381C in the late 80s

I have seen a document for the Valiant that said that the pink was 5 parts red/1 part white  and the blue 3 parts blue 1 of white by weight, and a late 60s document that gives BS381C 111 as the Pale Blue but no BS reference for Pale Red. I recall Compucolor had several variants of RAF/RN Pale colours

Yes Dave, you're correct, further discussed in this thread:-

Your mix ratio sounds to me to be wrong way round?  5 parts white to one part red and 3 parts white to one part blue sounds more like it for the pale colours involved?

Mixed paints might be correct for 1957 Grapple Valiants, these were the first with pale markings? The colours appear to be stamndardised with RAF stores references by 1960 though. 

David Howley quotes BS111 for the pale red in the Buccaneer  Warpaint , this is obviously incorrect and presumably should be for the pale blue.

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes that extra panel line for to the parts breakdown right through the radome and round the top of the nose is prominent if not dealt with.... They really should put an instruction in to remove it

Aifix's website now showing summer 2021 not spring.  

I was hoping this meant the initial run was sold out but it looks like we will be waiting longer.  

As

On 3/5/2021 at 2:28 PM, cherry268 said:

Jumblies had it on their site as dispatched on 30/4-21 but  see that has now slipped until 30/6/21

Probably be in time for Telford!!

If it's on

https://www.jumbliesmodels.com/plastic-kits-c3/aviation-kits-c4/airfix-1-72-avro-vulcan-b-2-aircraft-model-kit-p16755

15 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Yes you really can't get away with a dark wash and those panel lines, it kills the look of the Vulcan. The white one has been kept nice and subtle and looks good.

Ahh yes the modern curse, imo When I look at models that have been "weathered" to death I just think, have you not looked at any reference photos?

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Ahh yes the modern curse, imo When I look at models that have been "weathered" to death I just think, have you not looked at any reference photos?

Completely agree. I know everyone can build their model how they want but people would have nicer looking models if they just looked at a few photos instead of just doing every model the same. I know some people like to go artistic rather than realistic, but there's a point where it just doesn't look good. And don't get me started on the now fashionable marble pre-shading 🙄 .... 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Whisper this but...

I quite like Airfix's panel line treatment because as an aerosol user they look ok to my eyes plus you don't need a wash to bring out the panel lining, it just is there.

There is a definite school of modelling which is more interested in showing technique then reflecting reality.  Even in armour modelling it's over done.

I can only imagine the trouble the lineys would get in if most of the modern jets we see represented in RFI were actually presented to the Squadron Commander as serviceable! 

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, At Sea said:

I quite like Airfix's panel line treatment because as an aerosol user they look ok to my eyes plus you don't need a wash to bring out the panel lining, it just is there.

Airfix should provide safety ropes so that any lineys working on the aircraft can be pulled out if they accidentally fall into any of them. 🙄

The first kits that I bought that had recessed panel lines were Otaki 1/48th aircraft in the mid 70s, very fine and beautifully done.  Why Airfix cannot recreate that in this age is beyond me!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Retired Bob said:

Airfix should provide safety ropes so that any lineys working on the aircraft can be pulled out if they accidentally fall into any of them. 🙄

The first kits that I bought that had recessed panel lines were Otaki 1/48th aircraft in the mid 70s, very fine and beautifully done.  Why Airfix cannot recreate that in this age is beyond me!

At risk of drifting off topic I merely pointed out my own opinion, I was not implying the oft criticised representation of panel lines was wrong. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Ditto. The Spitfire was what converted me to 1/48 ever since. Although there were inaccuracies in the kit, those panel lines were just a joy to behold!

Nick

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, At Sea said:

At risk of drifting off topic I merely pointed out my own opinion, I was not implying the oft criticised representation of panel lines was wrong. 🙂 

Totally agree with you, I nearly used the can of worms emoji.  It's just that with the Vulcan as with their Victor, I look at Airfix's representation of panel lines and my memories (and photos) of working on these beautiful aircraft do not include the overdone panel lines with or without a dark panel line wash, pre-shading or lots of panel edge chipping that will unfortunately be rolled out on RFI pages.

Yes, I do have a stash of the "old" kits, perhaps I should just stick to those, my comments were to point out that fine, engraved lines were out there almost 50 years ago and it's unlikely that anybody else will now make 1/72nd V bombers.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Yes, I do have a stash of the "old" kits, perhaps I should just stick to those, my comments were to point out that fine, engraved lines were out there almost 50 years ago and it's unlikely that anybody else will now make 1/72nd V bombers.

I still hold out hope against all common sense that someone will produce a competing line of beautifully moulded Mk1 V Bombers....

• Like 3