New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

I'm reading what is otherwise a good review with lots of photographs in the latest AMW, but it is stated that in addition to the removal of 'museum supports', the "prominent cylindrical separator jacks and level indicators are missing from (Airfix's) upper bogie shock absorbers".  

Perhaps all will become clear when the respective kit components can be inspected, but what on earth are these?!  A Google search hasn't helped...

Mark

• Like 1

I know that quite a few people here are happy that 558 is not one of the schemes offered in this kit as that plane already has been done so often, but I would still have loved to see it included in the options (and I think Airfix made a little commercial mistake here). For sentimental reasons really, as I witnessed its final departure from RIAT in 2015. 

Is there is decent AM decal sheet for 558?

3 minutes ago, RobertF said:

I know that quite a few people here are happy that 558 is not one of the schemes offered in this kit as that plane already has been done so often, but I would still have loved to see it included in the options (and I think Airfix made a little commercial mistake here). For sentimental reasons really, as I witnessed its final departure from RIAT in 2015. 

Is there is decent AM decal sheet for 558?

I think the Fündekal sheet will cover 558, and it should be easy to get hold of the most recent old tool decals which aren't bad. 

I'm very happy its not XH558 for the first release. Way overdone, and almost always modelled wrong as it's such a non standard Vulcan. 

But I do think that they should do a kit of just XH558 at some point in the future, including K2 and B2.MRR parts (which I'm sure they will do at some point). Decals for every scheme: the B1 style white and full shade roundels first applied (rare on a B2), the standard white, 230 OCU markings in white (just a few extra decals will cover that), early camo, B2.MRR scheme, K2 scheme, 1980s-90s display scheme, 2010 repaint scheme (basically the same scheme just add Spirit of Great Britain name- they really should have gone with an entirely different scheme since they were repainting her anyway), plus all the Sqn insignia 558 wore. I think that would go down well, if they did that I'd probably pick it up to do the MRR scheme. 

1 hour ago, Mark72 said:

I'm reading what is otherwise a good review with lots of photographs in the latest AMW, but it is stated that in addition to the removal of 'museum supports', the "prominent cylindrical separator jacks and level indicators are missing from (Airfix's) upper bogie shock absorbers".  

Perhaps all will become clear when the respective kit components can be inspected, but what on earth are these?!  A Google search hasn't helped...

Mark

I don't know off the top of my head what  the "prominent cylindrical separator jacks and level indicators" are, hopefully aftermarket will cover it if it's a noticeable omission. If not, just don't look too closely. 

But oh well, at least it's an otherwise very nice modern 1:72 Vulcan kit that I will buy far too many of. The only disappointments are that it's a Mk2 Vulcan not a Mk1, and doesn't seem to have been moulded in a way that would allow for early narrow intake B2s, but I expect that aftermarket will cover that (and I will certainly be doing one if that is the case)

44 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I don't know off the top of my head what  the "prominent cylindrical separator jacks and level indicators" are, hopefully aftermarket will cover it if it's a noticeable omission. If not, just don't look too closely. 

But oh well, at least it's an otherwise very nice modern 1:72 Vulcan kit that I will buy far too many of. The only disappointments are that it's a Mk2 Vulcan not a Mk1, and doesn't seem to have been moulded in a way that would allow for early narrow intake B2s, but I expect that aftermarket will cover that (and I will certainly be doing one if that is the case)

Not really sure what they are but this drawings from the servicing manual ( for the Mk.I ) shows the separator unit, which I guess is what is in the middle of the photo below.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Interesting looking in the Mk.2 servicing manual, the separator unit isn't shown in the drawings, though the above picture is of a Mk.2 so was it removed at some point and the kit could be correct for a later Mk.2?

Anyway I don't think it's something that will bother me.

spacer.png

OK chaps, now that the article has been released I can clear up a few points. I was working closely with Chris Joy, the designer, in trying to offer as much as possible to cover the early B2s, hence the two styles of tailcone, optional nose configurations and fin caps (the original, smoothly contoured style and later squared off version featuring the ARI18228 PWR fairing), single and twin heads for the X-band emitter, multiple configuration counterpoise plates, 201 and 301 jet pipes, weapons choice and decal schemes. Unfortunately the early B1 style intake, as fitted to the first seven B2s, wasn't an option. We knew XH558 has been well covered so wanted to offer something a little different in this release, in the form of XM602, while serving with 12 squadron at Coningsby and XM594 as a Blue Steel carrier, serving with the Scampton Wing. I came in on the project about midway through and unfortunately the error with the missing separator cylinder and addition of the museum brace wasn't picked up as the undercarriage had been finished at that point and I didn't see the CADs. Talking to Chris and Simon, it is possible that the parts were undergoing restoration at the time and away from the aircraft when it was scanned, various connectors, brake-lines and a rear door were absent when I visited in July, the perils of using a museum exhibit.  A nuisance but easily dealt with, (I used 2mm styrene rod). One other omission was the small red upper fuselage anti-collision beacon, (which I've since fitted using one from the CMK set). Overall it was a fun build and definitely a big improvement on the old kit, I hope you enjoy the article. As no decals were ready when I built it, the excellent Fundekals sheet was used, (I chose XM597 as seen at Greenham Common in 1973, as it featured the squared fin cap. white TWR cone and upper fuselage circular dielectric panel). Once the issue has finished it's monthly run I'll post images in RFI. 

Tbolt, the separator was fitted to all versions.

From the Dowty GA drawings.

1-Haunebu001.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 9

Hello General M

Yes, it was an excellent article, fully supported by the photographs.  My Google search turned up the Dowty diagrams but was none the wiser until your post - many thanks!  I'm very much looking forward to this kit - there are currently three on pre-order.

Am I the only one to fall into the trap of firstly buying the latest magazine edition online and then buying the paper version too, because it's easier (for me) to read?  I keep saying one or the other but not both, but that hasn't worked so far!!

Best regards

Mark

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, One 48 said:

29 pages and only now do I really notice this thread! A lot to go read, thread started in 2019 so I guess it could be released soon? any idea of cost?

about 60 quid

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

But I do think that they should do a kit of just XH558 at some point in the future, including K2 and B2.MRR parts (which I'm sure they will do at some point).

Hope springs eternal. Unfortunately, I don't, which is why I would have liked to see the 588 in 2010 scheme included.  Will have a look at the Fundecals though.

Thanks Mark, appreciated. I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

Am I the only one to fall into the trap of firstly buying the latest magazine edition online and then buying the paper version too, because it's easier (for me) to read?  I keep saying one or the other but not both, but that hasn't worked so far!!

Must agree, I prefer the paper versions, even though I have hundreds of books in PDF form I still prefer to have my books in print, preferably braille, these days...

Will have a look at the Fundecals though.

The 1/72nd set has been out of production for a while now and very hard to come by, also the site is down at the moment awaiting an overhaul, so hopefully they will release them again soon. They really are superb. Luckily my good friend and fellow Vulcan nut, Jan Forsgren, (who, incidentally built the best 'old' Airfix Vulcan I've ever seen) had a spare sheet he kindly donated to me for favours received...don't ask, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. 

Yes, price, £59.99, not 100% sure on release date as things keep changing but should be within the next few months. You certainly get a lot for the money.

Edited by general melchett
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

I chose XM597 as seen at Greenham Common in 1973, as it featured the squared fin cap

Ah thanks for the clarification on that. I thought when I first read the article and saw the photos of the tail fin it was a mistake in those markings / era. If I had read the by-line I would never have doubted!

:goodjob:

I'm going back to re-read the article in a new light! :rofl:

Rich

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RobertF said:

Adam, is there a list of all the differences between 588 (in its final version) and a "regular" Vulcan?

XH558 is a pretty early B2, only the second one with the wider intakes. She had a unique service life, the legacy of which is visible on the airframe today.

I don't know if there's a full list, but the notable ones are as follows:

Olympus 202s, most Vulcan B2s with the 200 series engines had 201s, 558 has 202s which are from when she was a K2 tanker

No air scoop on the tailcone. Again, a leftover feature from being a K2. The K2 had the ECM stuff in the tail removed and replaced, so the air scoop went. 558 never had this reinstalled.

X band Jammer with two emitter heads. Not an unusual feature on its own, but only two XH batch Vulcans (XH538 and XH557) had the single emitter version and none had the two emitter version until XH558 was reverted to B2 configuration from K2. The panel which its on came from another airframe. 

Totally non standard rear cockpit area. Most of the stuff in there was ripped out, I'm not sure what it looks like currently but there will be photos out there. 

TFR modification but no TFR blister. 558 was fitted with the TFR blister like most other B2s, but had it removed when converted to the MRR role, being replaced with a round plate to cover the gap. Many Vulcans had this for a while after the mod was done in the late 60s before the TFR blister was actually fitted, but it's slightly unusual for one to have gone back to no TFR blister. XM603 and XL318 (and XL361?) also have this feature today.

Inaccurate camo. The camo is the wrong colour for a wrap around Vulcan, it should be darker. Looks nice on a display aircraft, but it's not accurate for a regular Vulcan. This is one of the reasons I would have liked to see a different scheme in the 2010 repaint. 

And probably a whole load of other things I either don't know about or have forgotten

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark72 said:

Nope, I do exactly the same...:blush:  Although during lockdown there is no easy access to the paper copy for me that doesn't involve driving 8 miles - I could try and argue essential shopping, but... so the digital copy is a godsend; particularly when there is a feature I really want to read.

Rich

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

XH558 is a pretty early B2, only the second one with the wider intakes. She had a unique service life, the legacy of which is visible on the airframe today.

I don't know if there's a full list, but the notable ones are as follows:

Olympus 202s, most Vulcan B2s with the 200 series engines had 201s, 558 has 202s which are from when she was a K2 tanker

No air scoop on the tailcone. Again, a leftover feature from being a K2. The K2 had the ECM stuff in the tail removed and replaced, so the air scoop went. 558 never had this reinstalled.

X band Jammer with two emitter heads. Not an unusual feature on its own, but only two XH batch Vulcans (XH538 and XH557) had the single emitter version and none had the two emitter version until XH558 was reverted to B2 configuration from K2. The panel which its on came from another airframe. 

Totally non standard rear cockpit area. Most of the stuff in there was ripped out, I'm not sure what it looks like currently but there will be photos out there. 

TFR modification but no TFR blister. 558 was fitted with the TFR blister like most other B2s, but had it removed when converted to the MRR role, being replaced with a round plate to cover the gap. Many Vulcans had this for a while after the mod was done in the late 60s before the TFR blister was actually fitted, but it's slightly unusual for one to have gone back to no TFR blister. XM603 and XL318 (and XL361?) also have this feature today.

Inaccurate camo. The camo is the wrong colour for a wrap around Vulcan, it should be darker. Looks nice on a display aircraft, but it's not accurate for a regular Vulcan. This is one of the reasons I would have liked to see a different scheme in the 2010 repaint. 

And probably a whole load of other things I either don't know about or have forgotten

The darker scheme, lacked contrast and was little bland for the display circuit. Med gray and dark green looked good.

• Like 1

I have a few questions about this kit that I hope you are able to answer @general melchett 

Does the kit have the full set of blisters associated with the Skybolt program under the wings? I can see the twin blisters and the one further back but am struggling to see if it has the coolant blister just forward of the twin blisters or not

Which version of the X Band Jammer is in the kit? Is it one emitter head or two, or have both been included?

I can't see the tail bumper on the model, is it just the photos or is it there? 

Have they the early style of VHF aerials, the one they first had that looks a bit like the pitot tubes but backwards. I see your build has the yellow one of a more uniform shape fitted in the 70s

Thanks for such an elaborate reply! I still have the resin conversion set for the old kit including the 202s so that could come in handy. The rest should be pretty straightforward to correct. As far as the different rear cockpit area is concerned, that does not bother me at all as I doubt whether anyone could see that, let alone tell, with such tiny cockpit windows. So rationality over accuracy on this one (now ducking for cover).

Regarding the camo, I agree that the lighter grey (MSG) is not accurate for a regular Vulcan, but I do think it looked/looks great on 588 and as I want to build her, wrong becomes right (ducking again). It's a bit like fact free politics isn't it? :) 

Any idea where I can find the FündeKal sheet? No luck with the Big H and the company's website is being reconstructed

Ah thanks for the clarification on that. I thought when I first read the article and saw the photos of the tail fin it was a mistake in those markings / era. If I had read the by-line I would never have doubted!

Rich, XM597 was the first aircraft noted with the new rectangular fin cap, circa 1973, that's the reason I went for it as it looked different from the standard B2s of the era. The white Red Steer RWR cone was short lived as was the white upper circular dielectric cover.  She was also fitted with the full Skybolt suite which was a major reason she saw action in the Falkland's campaign. Here she is at the Greenham Common show in 1974 a show I remember very well as we were there both days, great memories. My good mate Rob Hayes added the soundtrack to this clip, certainly captures the power of the beast.

(Apols if they have been posted previously in this thread).

This is another excellent video of the early high-gloss camouflaged B2s.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, general melchett said:

The 1/72nd set has been out of production for a while now and very hard to come by, also the site is down at the moment awaiting an overhaul, so hopefully they will release them again soon. They really are superb.

Sorry, did not see your post until after I put in my own. Yes, hopefully they will re-release the set

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Luckily my good friend and fellow Vulcan nut, Jan Forsgren....    ......  had a spare sheet he kindly donated to me for favours received...don't ask, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. 

Must be the old regimental tie network General :)

• Haha 1