New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

15 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Medium Sea Grey BS381C 627 (Humbrol 165) being quoted for the upper camouflage grey? I’ve usually seen this area mentioned as being painted Dark Sea Grey. I’m not suggesting that Airfix is incorrect, just curious if new research has unearthed something here. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Should definitely be Medium Sea Grey on a Vulcan. There may have been a few early on that were on DSG (XM600 apparently, but I've never seen a photo to confirm). 

Later on of course they did switch to DSG when wrap around camouflage was introduced and all aircraft repainted in that scheme used DSG instead of MSG other than XH558 which remains in MSG. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Medium Sea Grey BS381C 627 (Humbrol 165) being quoted for the upper camouflage grey? I’ve usually seen this area mentioned as being painted Dark Sea Grey. I’m not suggesting that Airfix is incorrect, just curious if new research has unearthed something here. 
Cheers.. Dave 

As @Adam Poultney said Medium Sea Grey was the standard colour used for upper surface camouflage on all three V-bombers; if you've usually seen Dark Sea Grey quotes in your references I'd be tempted to treat them as very suspect.  XM600 is the only Vilulcan that I've seen any evidence for with Dark Sea Grey replacing Medium Sea Grey; there may have been one other but I've never seen any images of her.  The lack of the starboard upper wing rounded was very much standard until time down began in the early to mid seventies when it was reinstated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah, they scanned XM594 at Newark - now I see why they moulded the wipers across the screens and missed off the centre wiper - it's missing from the actual a/c!

I did get a reply about this from Airfix - the comments had been passed to the design team.

• Like 1

Just now, Blacktjet said:

Ah, they scanned XM594 at Newark - now I see why they moulded the wipers across the screens and missed off the centre wiper - it's missing from the actual a/c!

I did get a reply about this from Airfix - the comments had been passed to the design team.

you'd think that they would at least look at two Vulcans, perhaps only scan one but visual look at another to find any differences that need looking into further...

I hope that they can do something about the canopy...

17 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Should definitely be Medium Sea Grey on a Vulcan. There may have been a few early on that were on DSG (XM600 apparently, but I've never seen a photo to confirm). 

Later on of course they did switch to DSG when wrap around camouflage was introduced and all aircraft repainted in that scheme used DSG instead of MSG other than XH558 which remains in MSG. 

I have a strong recollection of an Aviation News (the original Alan Hall-produced "newspaper" version) issue with Vulcan scale plans and profile carrying a photo of XM600 in its one-off DSG scheme.  This would have been in the late 1970s, I'd say.

• 1 month later...
On 24/11/2020 at 22:06, Adam Poultney said:

0d4349ee7309eaf9914018ba1215488a.jpg
a1d7a33722c67485b770bd7810f86fe3.jpg62a17481c59012ec8cc36ab2b2740f5a.jpg
ffc3236a245579f6db679bb61f8bdb76.jpg

579337967e96df35ac7b77a46c5b492e.jpg

I like raised rivets on kits. If they are too heavy its easier to rub them down to a more acceptable level than it is to fill them all. Not only that the pics here for example show raised ones and on a model would be more realistic.

Just now, k5054nz said:

When was this released? I'm surprised I've not seen any build threads.

if only it was.... delayed by what seems like forever. I think there saying April now or something. At this rate I'll be lucky to get a build in before I go to uni and have to move to smaller kits

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

Its Getting close - A build review in Airfix Model World, Looks Fab 

Is it available digitally?

Edit: I found some. The February issue doesn't seem to have any mention of the Vulcan on the cover. I assume it's the March one which does have a Vulcan on the front

Edited by Adam Poultney

I got hold of a digital copy. I'm somewhat surprised at the inaccuracies in the landing gear, I would have thought they would ask if anything was changed as a museum exhibit given that is fairly common on large museum aircraft. 

Other than that, we now know for certain that both tailcone tip options are included, which is good news. I'm not sure if any of the older version are still around, but I don't don't know of any that are currently attached to a complete Vulcan. 

As expected it looks like the nose might be an awkward fit. Hopefully it doesn't cause too much trouble. I wonder if they plan to do a cockpit only kit given the separation is in about the right place for that. I'd buy a good few of those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

I got hold of a digital copy. I'm somewhat surprised at the inaccuracies in the landing gear, I would have thought they would ask if anything was changed as a museum exhibit given that is fairly common on large museum aircraft. 

Other than that, we now know for certain that both tailcone tip options are included, which is good news. I'm not sure if any of the older version are still around, but I don't don't know of any that are currently attached to a complete Vulcan. 

As expected it looks like the nose might be an awkward fit. Hopefully it doesn't cause too much trouble. I wonder if they plan to do a cockpit only kit given the separation is in about the right place for that. I'd buy a good few of those.

What's wrong with the landing gear?

19 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

What's wrong with the landing gear?

from what I read it seems that some additional supports that were only added for museum examples were included, and need to be removed for a normal Vulcan.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

from what I read it seems that some additional supports that were only added for museum examples were included, and need to be removed for a normal Vulcan.

Okay thanks, the classic museum copy mistake 🙃