New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

3 minutes ago, Paul J said:

As there is no Telford this year, I wonder what will be the big kit for late 2021? We now know the Vulcan and some others are going to be late, will any other new releases planned for '21 be announced?

They apparently scanned the Cosford Lincoln a while ago.... hoping for a Lincoln, but I'd rather see a Manchester.

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Not really bothered what, if any, the "big kit" will be.

I'm looking forward to the cries and howls of:

Wrong scale

Wrong type

Wrong version

Yet another aeroplane, why  not  (insert)!.

It's the (insert) anniversary of (insert). Airfix missed a chance to commemorate by not updating/issuing a new (insert)

Feel free everyone to add to the list!!

John.

PS. Almost forgot to mention that none of us will find out for several days anyway because the Airfix website will crash as per usual /😊😂

You mean it's going to be a 1:28 Fairley Fruitbat? Be still, my beating heart ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Has it been confirmed exactly what parts are going to be in the initial boxing? Won’t be doing the options airfix have chosen if I do get one when it eventually comes out

Blue steel and non blue steel options will be included, both engine options are on the same plastic frame so both will be included.

All the nose and tail options seem to be included as they're on the same frames. 

The only MK2 Vulcan options that it appears will not be included are the parts to make an early one (XH556 and earlier), a B2.MRR, Falkands Vulcan (my bet for the second box of the kit), or a K2. 

• Like 2

I've just had another look at the preview video and that has got to be the worst paint & finish job I have ever seen on a manufacturer's demonstrator.  It looks like it's been in open storage/out on the fire dump for a couple of years.😪😪😪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stever219 said:

I've just had another look at the preview video and that has got to be the worst paint & finish job I have ever seen on a manufacturer's demonstrator.  It looks like it's been in open storage/out on the fire dump for a couple of years.😪😪😪

mmm it's not great... I'd be quite happy to do one... or five... for them 😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stever219 said:

Couldn't agree more. 

What is with the black filled in pannel lines?

Has the builder never seen a Vulcan? 

Oh yes, the gaps round the cockpit canopy, the transfers that are not settled onto the paint and details... ?

I know close up photography emphasises minor imperfections but I'd be ashamed if I built that and I'm not a very good modeler.. 

• Like 2

One of my pet hates is the fashion to over weather and enhance panel lines. 

This is a Hawker Hawk, the photo was taken a year ago. 

The A/C was built and first flown in 1974. 

How many panel lines can be seen? 

spacer.png

Answers on a Postcard please......

It is polished using "Back to Black" car polish and looks wonderful. 

Other than the lack of a permit to fly from the CAA, it is fully airworthy and functional. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

How many panel lines can be seen? 

None - but you can see just about every removable panel fastener! Will have to work out how to replicate that as I'm currently building this very aircraft

Thanks for the photo Peter, I assume as she's up on tippy toes there's no engine in her now?

On 11/23/2020 at 11:56 AM, stever219 said:

It is terrible isn’t it - Airfix have a bad reputation for heavy handed panel lines. Why on Earth would you emphasise them by highlighting then in black? It doesn’t make the paint job realistic, unless I’ve missed something and aircraft manufacturers really do highlight every panel with black paint.

Having said that, mine’s on order.

Graham

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Well, there's the thing Peter. Manufacturers and operators don't "pre shade" their aircraft either.

That's another fad I'm at a loss to understand. Seen a lot of models that have been very painstakingly given a finish that resembles a patchwork quilt......!

Maybe it's an age thing and, it's just me? 😉😊

John

I have to agree with you . . . 

A lot of the preshading and panel line stuff seems to have its origins in the armour and figure modelling. Makes sense with figures as what people and their clothes are made  out of is somewhat different from aircraft and weather in a different way. 

I recall in the eighties a friend saying that tanks were beginning to look more like pieces of Capo d'Monte ornaments. A bit harsh, but with some stuff you could see what he was driving at. Not a fan, especially in 1/72nd scale but just my preference. 

• Like 6

2 great schemes in the initial boxing by the looks of it.

Honestly was expecting 617 squadron in anti-flash white!

Just now, At Sea said:

2 great schemes in the initial boxing by the looks of it.

Honestly was expecting 617 squadron in anti-flash white!

we've known about the schemes for a long time. I'm happy with them, and they do seem well researched. No type D roundel on the right wing of the camo vulcan in this kit :)

ECM plate configurations are right, engine types are right, schemes look accurate, they even got the details right of the gloss fading to satin and the roundels wearing away on early camo Vulcans

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Medium Sea Grey BS381C 627 (Humbrol 165) being quoted for the upper camouflage grey? I’ve usually seen this area mentioned as being painted Dark Sea Grey. I’m not suggesting that Airfix is incorrect, just curious if new research has unearthed something here. 
Cheers.. Dave