New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

Not quite applicable to the new tool, but ideal for anyone wanting better exhausts for the old tool they have in the stash and actually want to build:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-72nd-Avro-Vulcan-Jet-Pipe-Upgrade-Set-For-Airfix-kits/324267029596?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I've a ouple of sets of these and they really are beautiful.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I hope so... they do like their heavy bombers. Although I'd prefer to see a Manchester kit....

To be fair, I could see Airfix do that at one point, maybe more than the Lincoln.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I hope so... they do like their heavy bombers. Although I'd prefer to see a Manchester kit....

And I wonder what this year's flagship product that would have been revealed at Telford will be....

Apparently, it's a Stirling.

• Like 2

Just now, Adam Poultney said:

interesting, where have you heard this?

And isn't it about time to have an Airfix 2021 thread? 

Think it was my mum's cousin Vinny....

My apologies. Covid-19 has encouraged my employer to let me retire early, so I'm a bit demob happy right now! 

I would dearly love a new Stirling from Airfix. And the little tractor to go with it. If I wish hard enough it may just happen.

And you're right. I miss the Airfix 2020-something thread as it was a great place for shooting the breeze and hopeless dreaming. 😀

• Haha 2

Just a thought, will Airfix get the roundels right on this kit? They got the wing ones wrong on the Victor (both boxes) as they're noticeably undersized, they come out at around 80" I think rather than 84"

22 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

9e85ee0796191b67c2f32e13ccf475e9.jpg

Very difficult to spot unless you are deliberately looking for it and, look very closely.

Personally, don't think such a minor issue is worth bothering about. However, that's just me.😉

Allan

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

fair enough, just bothers me. I've got enough aftermarket decals to not worry about the kit ones on a Vulcan or a Victor in this scale

Very practical attitude! 😊.

Allan

• Like 1

Just now, Albeback52 said:

Very practical attitude! 😊.

Allan

very expensive one too! I don't even know how much I have spent on unused v force decals.... And yet I always seem to run out of the exact letter or number I need for a serial....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

very expensive one too! I don't even know how much I have spent on unused v force decals.... And yet I always seem to run out of the exact letter or number I need for a serial....

I feel your pain!! Been there! Seen it, done it, bought the t-shirt! 👍😂

(and the decals of course!)

Allan

Ps - still prefer a Vulcan B1/B1A though! 😉

Edited by Albeback52

2 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

I feel your pain!! Been there! Seen it, done it, bought the t-shirt! 👍😂

(and the decals of course!)

Allan

Ps - still prefer a Vulcan B1/B1A though! 😉

It's the 1/200 serials which are real pain to do! Nothing converts properly and I can't find any in pale shade other than the kit ones

Vulcan B1/1a serials are a pain often because the A is left off vulcan decal sheets most of the time, but an XH serial is a bit easier to do

• 3 weeks later...

I like how it's been carefully built but obviously no filler or tricks so you can see how well the moulding works.  

I also note that not even Airfix's own test build team can get their decals to lay down in a panel line! 

• Like 3

My thoughts:

.Panel lines are washed heavily with a dark wash so wait until we see more builds to judge them

.Decals look iffy on the colour but they may not be the kit ones if this is just a sample build.

I'll probably be using aftermarket ones anyway.

.There's a worrying step around the cockpit area but again, wait until we see more builds

.301 jetpipes look great

.Radome line is nicely defined, as it should be; It's quite an obvious panel on the real thing

.IFR probe looks adequate, a step up from the old one. Hopefully I break less of these than I do in 1:144

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, At Sea said:

I also note that not even Airfix's own test build team can get their decals to lay down in a panel line! 

Probably a testshot or even own-printed (not regular sheet).

I mean... there's out-of-register fuselage roundel, serial number isn't aligned properly...

1 minute ago, Adam Poultney said:

My thoughts:

.Panel lines are washed heavily with a dark wash so wait until we see more builds to judge them

It wouldn't surprise me if the heavy wash is intentional just to show off the detail instead of being built as a realistic representation.

10 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Why the heck did you put that up there !!!

Far too big a kit for my shelf, not gonna get one of them, and then you go and show that.....................

hehehe you will buy the plastic tin triangle!

I may or may not have bought a whole display cabinet because I know I'll need the space for these.... I plan to have six of them!

8 minutes ago, At Sea said:

I like how it's been carefully built but obviously no filler or tricks so you can see how well the moulding works.  

yes no filler or anything on here it seems. I feel the impression that this is a very bare bones chuck it together exactly as the instructions say build

27 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

My old Airfix kit is now definitely going to be converted to a B.1/B.1A (with the help of a Flightpath conversion kit.)

my plan exactly when the old tool prices inevitably plummet. I've done three such conversions in smaller scales but not 1/72 yet

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

my plan exactly when the old tool prices inevitably plummet. I've done three such conversions in smaller scales but not 1/72 yet

Yes but look at old tool 1/48 Sptifire Vb prices...  The 'Queen Salote of Tonga' markings.  Admittedly it's a great kit, but still very firm.