New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

18 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

Has anyone else spotted that it comes with Olympus 300 series exhausts?  I can't see either the 201 or 202 jetpipes on the sprues, so again, we're locked into doing 300 series aircraft.

Personally, I'd have liked the bomb bay overload fuel tanks, as I want to do XM594 in a WE177 armed configuration from this chilling piece of alternate history;

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-last-flight-of-xm594-a-p-s-spin-off.216859/

yeah they're on there, I also emailed Airfix a while ago and they confirmed it would have both

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

Thnks guys, couldn't see them on the laptop screen!

It's funny because in your linked story, the writer gets XM594's engines wrong haha! 

It's a shame there's no 100 series on the sprues too as technically, if airfix did another two separate wing sprues and another tail cone on a sprue with new intakes we could have a B1 too. Logic dictates that the B1 sprue would have the 100's anyway. Similarly I expect the eventual K2 sprue to have the payload bay fuel tanks, as was done with the Victor boxings (It would be silly not to do a combined XH558 / K2 boxing considering she was one)

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 3

11 hours ago, WV908 said:

(It would be silly not to do a combined XH558 / K2 boxing considering she was one)

Hear hear; I hope Airfix is reading this!

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
Here = hear
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, WV908 said:

It's a shame there's no 100 series on the sprues too as technically, if airfix did another two separate wing sprues and another tail cone on a sprue with new intakes we could have a B1 too. Logic dictates that the B1 sprue would have the 100's anyway. 

Unfortunately the differences were a lot more extensive than just that, but I think it could just about be done if they were willing to tool almost all of it again.

16 hours ago, WV908 said:

Similarly I expect the eventual K2 sprue to have the payload bay fuel tanks, as was done with the Victor boxings (It would be silly not to do a combined XH558 / K2 boxing considering she was one)

Cheers,

WV908

Personally I'm hoping for after the first box which we've seen, a K2/B2.MRR box, a 70s-80s box with standard schemes from the time and Falklands schemes, and an XH558 box with all of XH558's schemes perhaps.

And that Valiant reissue I want so much.....

Edited by Adam Poultney

15 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Airfix have confirmed on their Facebook page that the first issue WILL have Blue Steel and have popped up some CADs (despite omitting any mention of it in the recent workbench!) 

With that confirmed and despite the missing Blue Steel sprue (which could well be that from their Victor as suggested*), unless Airfix are feeling particularly generous, and looking at the sprue breakdown I suspect the "Blue Steeel release" will omit the conventional bombs sprue. This looks like it  could easily be separated / gated off. Unfortunate in a way as this would then mean leaving out the standard bomb bay doors, open and closed.

This would then come subsequently with a second "conventional" version or perhaps Black Buck mission release. Disapointing in a way if that happens but I suppose first time round Airfix would say they are selling the Blue Steel equipped version. And it is a way of getting more milage out of the tool.

Rich

*In fact seeing that Airfix have included the Blue Steel bombay door in the main sprues, rather than separately with the missile itself, suggests this is almost certainly the case. 

Edited by RichG

I think you'll get both the bombs and the Blue Steel Rich (though if I were Airfix I would have done two boxings with one in each) and I reckons your stab at using the Victor BS is spot on - because their latest workbench has loads of photos of the conventional bombload inc sprues as well as on the aeroplane.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/massive-mighty-delta-update

With the FB confirmation that BS is included it would be a rum do if they removed one set of ordnance now :)

TT

2 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

With the FB confirmation that BS is included it would be a rum do if they removed one set of ordnance now :)

It was actually noted about half way through the thread, not sure where the doubt came in about the BS inclusion, they simply didn't include pictures in the latest update.

I have to say that I'm starting to feel a little deflated, I was expecting a Victor standard kit but from those pre-production shots, it looks more in the same stable as the Shackleton with its deep panel lines. The canopy is a disappointment, I don't like the moulded wipers, I've never seen a Vulcan with the wipers parked across the screens and where is the wiper for the centre glazing? I scanned the sprues thinking that it might be a separate part so that the canopy could be used for earlier Vulcans but I can't find one.

OK, it's a vast improvement on the old issue but after the Victor - in my view Airfix's best kit so far - I was expecting an equally stunning kit

59 minutes ago, Blacktjet said:

I have to say that I'm starting to feel a little deflated, I was expecting a Victor standard kit but from those pre-production shots, it looks more in the same stable as the Shackleton with its deep panel lines. The canopy is a disappointment, I don't like the moulded wipers, I've never seen a Vulcan with the wipers parked across the screens and where is the wiper for the centre glazing? I scanned the sprues thinking that it might be a separate part so that the canopy could be used for earlier Vulcans but I can't find one.

OK, it's a vast improvement on the old issue but after the Victor - in my view Airfix's best kit so far - I was expecting an equally stunning kit

Maybe wait until someone has this in their hands and reviews before it's pulled apart.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, PLC1966 said:

Maybe wait until someone has this in their hands and reviews before it's pulled apart.

But by then it would too late to correct obvious errors. Hopefully, those built up shots are of the early resin model and the lighting is picking up and exaggerating the panel lines on the sprue shots. As for the canopy, seeing that the test shots are in an evaluation stage, maybe it can be fixed, if not I guess I'll just have to sand off those wipers and fabricate THREE new ones.

It does say  'development' on the spiel

These parts have been rigorously inspected by Chris and the rest of the Airfix development team and may well be subject to change before they are released for production, so please be aware of this when viewing the images.

Lets see what the production one brings

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Blacktjet said:

As for the canopy, seeing that the test shots are in an evaluation stage, maybe it can be fixed, if not I guess I'll just have to sand off those wipers and fabricate THREE new ones.

THREE new wipers on a 1/72 kit, blimey....

Adopts David Attenborough Voice

’And here we see the stages of 21st  century model evolution

1) The Announcement. The Assemblers chirrup loudly with appreciative noises with only a few dissenters complaining about ‘wrong scale’

2) The CADS - poured over by Expert Assemblers examining every little detail for faults before the final kit has been tooled 

3) The Markings - The Assemblers scrutinise the plumage taking particular note of any misspelt stencils 

4) The Sprue Shots - The Wail of the Disaffected Assembler reaches crescendo 

5) The Release - most Assemblers buy one and quietly glue it together any grumbling a becoming a quiet hubbub of industry. 

With nothing more to see the Expert/DisaffectedAssemblers wander off in search of new prey.

Elsewhere the Assember Herd covers itself in EDSG and Anti Flash White.

and so the circle of Life continues

hakuna matata’

😉

• Like 10
  • Haha 18

7 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Adopts David Attenborough Voice

’And here we see the stages of 21st  century model evolution

1) The Announcement. The Assemblers chirrup loudly with appreciative noises with only a few dissenters complaining about ‘wrong scale’

2) The CADS - poured over by Expert Assemblers examining every little detail for faults before the final kit has been tooled 

3) The Markings - The Assemblers scrutinise the plumage taking particular note of any misspelt stencils 

4) The Sprue Shots - The Wail of the Disaffected Assembler reaches crescendo 

5) The Release - most Assemblers buy one and quietly glue it together any grumbling a becoming a quiet hubbub of industry. 

With nothing more to see the Expert/DisaffectedAssemblers wander off in search of new prey.

Elsewhere the Assember Herd covers itself in EDSG and Anti Flash White.

and so the circle of Life continues

hakuna matata’

😉

I'm stealing this for use on another forum!

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Blacktjet said:

As for the canopy, seeing that the test shots are in an evaluation stage, maybe it can be fixed, if not I guess I'll just have to sand off those wipers and fabricate THREE new ones.

Have you asked/told them?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MiG-Mech said:

Really ?

Disappointed coz of wipers ? 🤨

Not disappointed with the kit, just the moulded wipers. This sort of error really bugs me, 99% of photos of Vulcans will show the wipers parked upright, so why have the design team thought it would look better if the wipers are moulded - on the glazing -  parked across the screens! If the model is built with the canopy as pictured, a third wiper will need to be added - parked accross the screen, and that will look odd. Disappointed because apart from this, the canopy looks accurate and detailed.

16 minutes ago, Blacktjet said:

Not disappointed with the kit, just the moulded wipers. This sort of error really bugs me, 99% of photos of Vulcans will show the wipers parked upright, so why have the design team thought it would look better if the wipers are moulded - on the glazing -  parked across the screens! If the model is built with the canopy as pictured, a third wiper will need to be added - parked accross the screen, and that will look odd. Disappointed because apart from this, the canopy looks accurate and detailed.

Have you contacted them about this?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

😊let me know which one! Happy Friday everyone 👍

Hyperscale! Plus some io groups I belong to. I will be certain to credit Britmodeller's "TexanTomcat!"

• Haha 1

With a kit like the new Vulcan I imagine there will be a lot of aftermarket coming, and if the production version of the canopy keeps the bad wipers, and people are unhappy with this, aftermarket stuff may very well have that covered.