New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

Fair play to Airfix on two counts - firstly its the same price as the Victor and I thought it would be more especially with the two bombload options which brings me to point 2 - they have included both options in the same box - had I been Airfix I would have issued two versions one conventional and one Blue Steel with different markings.

I imagine at least a couple of boxings though - antiflash white & camo, Black Buck and I was going to say XH558 but the old tool is still available for pre order for £38.99 which seems a bit odd to me! I guess one of the markings options will be the Newark example wot they used to LIDAR. I wondered if they were going to do a Starter/Gift Set for the new tool Vulcan as well but that seems unlikely. That said if they do a Strike Command Support Set then combine it with the Tin Triangle there is a third boxing there....

Of note the Victor is not on the Airfix website any longer if you search for it - a google search shows it as out of stock.

TT 

Maybe the crew could be part of the (yet to be announced) V bomber support vehicle set. Comprising crew running as for a scramble with one at the foot of the ladder , one foot on bottom rung. Houchin, tug and tow bar, Matador Blue Steel transporter/loader, Cpl snowdrop plus airdog.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

... I thought it would be more especially with the two bombload options..

Me too, however all those CAD diagrams shown within Airfix’s Pre-Order page just show the Blue Steel option. I know the Workbench blogger mentioned both bomb load options will be included in the initial box, however I still have my doubts and will wait to see the final sprues before I’m fully convinced. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Maybe the crew could be part of the (yet to be announced) V bomber support vehicle set. Comprising crew running as for a scramble with one at the foot of the ladder , one foot on bottom rung. Houchin, tug and tow bar, Matador Blue Steel transporter/loader, Cpl snowdrop 'lecy plus airdog.

Corrected that for you.

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Me too, however all those CAD diagrams shown within Airfix’s Pre-Order page just show the Blue Steel option. I know the Workbench blogger mentioned both bomb load options will be included in the initial box, however I still have my doubts and will wait to see the final sprues before I’m fully convinced. 

Cheers.. Dave 

h_exciting_new_airfix_model_announcement

I suspect you'll get a Falklands option in the kit

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

17 hours ago,  Aeronut said: 

Maybe the crew could be part of the (yet to be announced) V bomber support vehicle set. Comprising crew running as for a scramble with one at the foot of the ladder , one foot on bottom rung. Houchin, tug and tow bar, Matador Blue Steel transporter/loader, dog****er plus airdog.

29 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Corrected that for you.

Just correcting your correction.  

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Maybe the crew could be part of the (yet to be announced) V bomber support vehicle set. Comprising crew running as for a scramble with one at the foot of the ladder , one foot on bottom rung. Houchin, tug and tow bar, Matador Blue Steel transporter/loader, Cpl snowdrop plus airdog.

This is both highly do-able and highly desirable. I would actually buy an Airfix V-bomber just to have something to display this set against. Do it, Airfix

• Like 2

When Airfix unveiled this model at Telford, I was deeply disappointed and underwhelmed  at yet another Vulcan! Okay, the tooling is much better than the first release and there is all that internal detail....which will not be seen when built!  Any modeller worth his salt will have made a decent job of Airfix's first Vulcan release. I have one built and another in my stash and I have no intention of paying £60 for yet another!  Sorry, but just my feelings that there is no innovative thinking or imagination from Airfix to bring us something not already done before.

Edited by AMB
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

17 hours ago,  Aeronut said: 

Maybe the crew could be part of the (yet to be announced) V bomber support vehicle set. Comprising crew running as for a scramble with one at the foot of the ladder , one foot on bottom rung. Houchin, tug and tow bar, Matador Blue Steel transporter/loader, dog****er plus airdog.

Just correcting your correction.  

This correction thread made me spit coffee :D

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Oh brilliant Airfix, ditching the k2 before I had a a chance of getting one cheap

There’s one in an eBay shop now for £50.95, I had 2 from this seller very recently and they are reliable and very quick despatch.

15 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

i shall make a note of that, hopefully ebay run a 20% off soon as well 

At that price it’s nearly the equivalent of VAT free, which has got to be worth a go.  Failing that you might be lucky and find one or two “under the table” at a model show for under £50 if you’re willing to wait a while.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2019 at 12:59 PM, 593jones said:

L suppose we'll have to wait until they show which aircraft and schemes are actually to be released.  Will be waiting in anticipation.  :)

With already every Vulcan scheme and squadron produced by after-market decal manufacturers, what is there worth waiting for? l 

2 hours ago, AMB said:

With already every Vulcan scheme and squadron produced by after-market decal manufacturers, what is there worth waiting for? l 

I don't buy aftermarket decals, I'm quite happy to use the ones provided in the kit, that's why I'm anticipating the Airfix choices.