New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

9 hours ago, Violet Club said:

Hi All,

A new Vulcan B2 is a good new (I hope also that the breakdown of parts will permit a B1 in the future).

I hope also to see a "V-Bomber Resupply set" in 1/72 scale (like the WW 2 one) one day with a Yellow Sun Bom on trailer, A Blue Steel Transporter/Loader, the Van seen in scramble operations, personnel and pilot figures and other accessories...  I keep my fingers crossed !

Violet Club

There are, I believe, plans afoot by at least one “cottage industry” manufacturer to produce the AEC Mandator transporter/loader in 1/72th scale but as resin kits it/they will probably cost around 50% of what we’re going to be shelling out for our shiny new Vulcans next November.

• Like 1

Some figures would be handy too.... for example Revell did a 1/72 RAF pilots and ground crew set which were well sculpted but only a single sprue which was a bit stingy for £8. Then the works flogged loads off for 99p ( should have stocked up) and now they are like hens teeth! 

This thread's going in circles, if it carries on like this it'll disappear up it's own bum!

Already discussed here...

...do pay attention at the back, there's a good chap! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, stever219 said:

There are, I believe, plans afoot by at least one “cottage industry” manufacturer to produce the AEC Mandator transporter/loader in 1/72th scale but as resin kits it/they will probably cost around 50% of what we’re going to be shelling out for our shiny new Vulcans next November.

http://www.aim72.co.uk/page130.html

• Like 1

On 19/11/2019 at 23:56, Andre B said:

Was the Airfix Vulcan the only 1/72 "news" at Tellford?

Cheers / André

The range will be announced on 6 Jan. They only announce the headline kit at Telford.

• Like 1

Latest workbench confirms both Blue Steel and 21x1000lb loadouts for the first release. 

With the first boxing apparently tied to 300 series exhausts, does this mean the second boxing will be a standard 200 series B.2 and K.2? Food for thought.

Cheers,

WV908.

• Like 1

We got a good look at the Blue Steel Missile in this one. Looks to be every bit as nice as the one in the Victor B2R kit

b_an_exclusive_preview_of_the_new_airfix

g_an_exclusive_preview_of_the_new_airfix

k_an_exclusive_preview_of_the_new_airfix

And the 21 1000lb bombs

l_an_exclusive_preview_of_the_new_airfix

I think we've seen this in CAD but this appears to be a physical copy of the interior wing structure

i_an_exclusive_preview_of_the_new_airfix

This kit looks set to put the Victor to shame!

By the time the definitive B.2 variant of the Vulcan entered service, the aircraft’s wing area had increased significantly and although still classed as a delta, would look quite different from the first Vulcans. To cope with the increased power availability from subsequent engine upgrades and to cure the instability issues of the original straight wing design, the B.2 wing had two defined kinks in its leading edge, well forward of the profile of the original wing design. Rather than detract from the pleasing aesthetics of the early Vulcan’s delta wing, the B.2 actually enhanced the profile of the aircraft and even though these changes were obviously made for reasons of operational effectiveness, as opposed to appearance, the B.2 would go on to be considered the most famous (and most numerous) of all the RAF’s Vulcans.

Hey they acknowledged the Vulcan B1's existence! Although this does seem to imply that the kinked wing was first introduced on the B2s... 

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I damn' well hope not!!!  The Victor kit is beautiful, even if it does take a bit of fettling to get the wings on (and you can't beat a good fettle!).

I just got a second Victor, I love that kit! In fact I'm now considering a third! 

It's just the space that they would take from new tool Vulcans next year that's against the idea right now

Just now, DAG058 said:

Forgive my ignorance, what's the difference between 200 series and 300 series? 

Main difference externally is the jetpipes.

The 301s are also far more powerful than 201s and the intakes are apparently sightly different towards the back, resulting in the famous howl on 201 engined aircraft.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Main difference externally is the jetpipes.

The 301s are also far more powerful than 201s and the intakes are apparently sightly different towards the back, resulting in the famous howl on 201 engined aircraft.

Were all Vulcans modified from one type to the other or was it mix across the fleet?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAG058 said:

Were all Vulcans modified from one type to the other or was it mix across the fleet?

No it was a mix across the fleet. The only uniform Vulcan B2s were Black Buck ones which all had 301s. 

Even today there's a good mix in the surviving ones. XH556 and XL426 for example have 201s and XM575 and XM655 have 301s. 

If you download Fündekals' free Vulcan PDF it will tell you which Vulcans had what engines, how many ECM plates and so on

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WV908 said:

Latest workbench confirms both Blue Steel and 21x1000lb loadouts for the first release.

I hope you’re right, but personally I wouldn’t bet on that. These options may be spread over two releases.

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I hope you’re right, but personally I wouldn’t bet on that. These options may be spread over two releases.

Cheers.. Dave  

If they're across two releases, I'd rather the regular bomber be released first. Hopefully with 201s (and 301s).

4 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

No it was a mix across the fleet. The only uniform Vulcan B2s were Black Buck ones which all had 301s. 

Even today there's a good mix in the surviving ones. XH556 and XL426 for example have 201s and XM575 and XM655 have 301s. 

If you download Fündekals' free Vulcan PDF it will tell you which Vulcans had what engines, how many ECM plates and so on

Nice one thanks! I look forward to sticking the wrong decals onto a kit with the wrong engines in the near future :clap:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave  

Workbench does say:

We also feature images of the two ordnance options to be included with the first release

Seems clear enough.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 593jones said:

Workbench does say:

We also feature images of the two ordnance options to be included with the first release

Seems clear enough.

Thanks for that, this is good news then. Best I read the full article prior to suggesting otherwise. This will be one hell of a kit then. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 593jones said:

All hail the mighty god of fire! 🔥

• Like 3