New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

Its O K sir Darling will be alongside in a jiffy with the Maltesers

Sir Darling eh, so that's what he been up to while I've been away fiddling with lumps of plastic and resin? Good lord Billiam, I fail to see how him arriving wrapped in bubble wrap with the good folks of Malta tagging along is supposed to improve my disposition!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, RichG said:

Despite what detractors may say, I think the Vulcan  remains one of the most iconic British aircraft ever made and recognisable to the general public as THE V-Bomber. 

Never a truer word said but of course the more knowledgeable among us agree the Victor was the  V-Bomber.  :whistle::boxing:

however basking in the warm after glow of seeing my second favourite post war aircraft getting the modern mould treatment from the company that made my childhood fun I will not make an issue of Joe Publics understandable error. :D

ps. On a less flippant and less jovial note I imagine the Vulcan/ Victor partnership gave Soviet air defence personnel the odd sleepless night. It would me in their place back in the day 

• Like 4

On 11/9/2019 at 9:22 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

I believe that’s the voice of Simon Owen, Airfix’s lead researcher and holder of the ‘Best job in the world’ title! 

Well done Airfix.. looks smashing! 

My apologies, it would appear the voice over is Chris Parker-Joy, yet another young bearded chap with the Midas touch! You’ve made many modellers thrilled, so cannot wait what’s up next. 
Which leads one to think, what’s Simon been designing then?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

3 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

A definitive 1/72 Canberra series...

What? You mean a new kit of that iconic, British, cold war bomber with an international appeal (even the USAF had 'em), that would replace a previous catalogue item; that is not too big in 1/72; with no mainstream competitor; that is accessible with LIDARable examples existing in the UK as well as good drawings very likely and that served in over 50 RAF squadrons not to mention RN ones and with all those funny noses with their potential for conversions?  Nah!  Apparently it would never sell and most likely bankrupt Airfix if they even thought about it - "like many other so called money spinners..."  Or so I was told in no uncertain terms...:hmmm: Wait a minute I wonder if these were the same people that rubbished the idea of a new 1/72 Vulcan anytime soon and were in denial up to the moment of the Airfix formal announcement... 

Bring it on Airfix and put me down for half a dozen! :thumbsup:

Rich

• Like 9

Well said Rich, seems to fit into the Airfix ethos of boxes that need ticking prior to going ahead with said subject. The Vampire is another classic with massive export appeal. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

A definitive 1/72 Canberra series... or a Stirling...

I'd prefer the definitive 1/72 Mosquito series. And the Stirling...

Looking forward to this one - it might turn out to be Airfix's best so far. I want to build a K.2 one day.

As for forthcoming releases. At this point in Hornby-era Airfix's release schedule, it seems quite reasonable to me to suppose that Airfix's future ambitions include releasing each and every important British aircraft type in 1/72.

Thus a Canberra (prob B2/B6 and/ or PR9 only), Venom and a Hunter series, Wessex as seen on the Bucc box as well as other types, are probably only a question of time. 

Jay

• Like 4

Not sure the mighty A would do a 1/72 Hunter (unless it was a T-bird) with Revell's in their current catalogue... the Mossie makes a great deal of sense...as does a TWIN SEAT SPITFIRE - (JUST SAYING ;) - wait til Jan) and perforce a 1/48 Beaufort just cos...well no-one saw the Walrus coming...

However to go back on Vulcan track - surely a V bomber support set is on the cards..... 

TT

52 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

As for forthcoming releases. At this point in Hornby-era Airfix's release schedule, it seems quite reasonable to me to suppose that Airfix's future ambitions include releasing each and every important British aircraft type in 1/72.

What is classed as "important" is of course very subjective - some deemed the Swift as important, when we could have had a Hunter or new Mosquito instead

It doesnt really matter what we speculate, its down to Airfix and what they deem appropriate to issue

Lets just hope that most of us are happy come early January when the kit list is issued

• Like 2

Most of Airfix's new tools (under the Hornby Group) have been replacing old tools. Yes they do slip new ones in, but I think in the long term the vast majority of old tolls will be replaced.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

If so, we can certainly look forward to an FE2b,  BE2e, a new RE8 (all built in thousands and seeing combat with numerous squadrons), Armstrong Whitworth FK8, Short 184, Fairey IIIF, Vickers Virginia....... But I wouldn't count on it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Not sure the mighty A would do a 1/72 Hunter (unless it was a T-bird) with Revell's in their current catalogue... the Mossie makes a great deal of sense...as does a TWIN SEAT SPITFIRE - (JUST SAYING ;) - wait til Jan) and perforce a 1/48 Beaufort just cos...well no-one saw the Walrus coming...

However to go back on Vulcan track - surely a V bomber support set is on the cards..... 

TT

I reckon if they did a T-bird Hunter they'd also do a single seater.  Personally I'd like them to scale down their Sea Vixen to go with the Buccaneer, the Javelin as well.  And the Seafire, and the Sea Fury, and the Spitfire XII and the Walrus!

While we're on the subject of deterrence I'd really like Airfix to produce a 1/72 Thor with supporting equipment. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AWFK10 said:

If so, we can certainly look forward to an FE2b,  BE2e, a new RE8 (all built in thousands and seeing combat with numerous squadrons), Armstrong Whitworth FK8, Short 184, Fairey IIIF, Vickers Virginia....... But I wouldn't count on it.

Let me rephrase then: 

At this point in Hornby-era Airfix's release schedule, it seems quite reasonable to me to suppose that Airfix's future ambitions include releasing each and every important military British aircraft type of WWII and especially Cold War in 1/72 that is talked about a lot on forums such as this one😜 Again, just a matter 'o time IMHO.

Re the Hunter. They did it with the Shack. Additionally the Hunter absolutely warrants a redo in 1/72 IMO as the Revell has one or two things that need improvement and there is also just one version for sale. By choosing a modular sprue design a la Hase F-4 Airfix could make all marks.

But hey what about that Vulcan though. Looks amazing. 

Jay

5 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

What is classed as "important" is of course very subjective - some deemed the Swift as important, when we could have had a Hunter or new Mosquito instead

I did try my best - I bought six Swifts (botched one, built two OOB, and used various AlleyCat conversions on the others).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Looking forward to this one - it might turn out to be Airfix's best so far. I want to build a K.2 one day.

Thus a Canberra (prob B2/B6 and/ or PR9 only), Venom and a Hunter series, Wessex as seen on the Bucc box as well as other types, are probably only a question of time. 

Jay

I think that is highly likely if you look how wonderful Hornby has been and is in bringing us not just the classics of railways but very unusual extinct subjects. It just takes time. As for those saying I’d rather this that and the other. Why not just have them all thee is no reason why not. It’s Just about balance. As if they where to pursue soley ww2 they would become niche. Instead it is good they are doing both. I hope also they do classic British airliners. A comet 4 in 1/72 would rock. 
also a Venom , Vixen, Hastings, Botha, etc etc 

it’s exciting times and now it’s easier to produce stuff than ever with class.

so keep going Airfix ! We love ya 

• Like 4

On 11/12/2019 at 12:09 PM, 71chally said:

...and the control surfaces don't feature the distinctive shape of the original.

It is better than the Academy, but you kinda hope they get this stuff right.

Thanks for that 71chally. I knew there some adverse comments, couldn't recall what they were  - I haven't yet bought one though I certainly will, having fought an Academy kit to a standstill and many years ago having rebuilt a Lindbergh effort as a 74Sqn F6. It would be churlish not to have a go; perhaps I have been unduly influenced by the doomsayers.

Thanks also to VMA131Marine & Enzo Matrix for adding some realism to counter my gloom !

(Apologies to Vulcan enthusiasts for briefly 'borrowing' this thread.)

Edited by John B (Sc)
spelling!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 15/11/2019 at 17:03, John B (Sc) said:

(Apologies to Vulcan enthusiasts for briefly 'borrowing' this thread.)

Hunters and Vulcans are the perfect combination in my view.

Whats not to like !

Airfix should do a 1/24th Hungter now that would be something,

But on the subject of the Vulcan as soon as there is a pre order I will be saving up for as many as the bank will allow.

I am quite confident that this kit will take my mind off all the troubles in the world and I will be in my element. :pilot:

• Like 6

On 11/13/2019 at 2:50 PM, Mountain goat said:

Jay

A reasonable assumption although how we define "important" is another matter and, one that is VERY subjective! 😉

We still have the full 2020 programme to look forward to.

I do not anticipate many new releases but, Airfix are quite adept at springing surprises.

Allan

• Like 2

On 11/17/2019 at 1:59 PM, robvulcan said:

Hunters and Vulcans are the perfect combination in my view.

Whats not to like !

Airfix should do a 1/24th Hungter now that would be something,

But on the subject of the Vulcan as soon as there is a pre order I will be saving up for as many as the bank will allow.

I am quite confident that this kit will take my mind off all the troubles in the world and I will be in my element. :pilot:

Ah, now  a 1/24th Hunter would be something indeed. I have an Echelon 1/32nd Hunter part built as an F Mk1, and a two seater to complete as well. Something to make those look small; what a dream. 

I like your comment about the probability of other classic British machines eventually being produced by Airfix - an upbeat assessment & why not!  Fingers crossed some of those dreams come true and that my modelling skills last long enough.  

Hi All,

A new Vulcan B2 is a good new (I hope also that the breakdown of parts will permit a B1 in the future).

I hope also to see a "V-Bomber Resupply set" in 1/72 scale (like the WW 2 one) one day with a Yellow Sun Bom on trailer, A Blue Steel Transporter/Loader, the Van seen in scramble operations, personnel and pilot figures and other accessories...  I keep my fingers crossed !

Violet Club

• Like 6

That would be nice to see a post-war bomber supply set, with all the bombs the V bombers could carry, both conventional and nuclear. I'd buy it.

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. Oh dear, I see I gave Wm Blecky a sad again with my post. One might almost think that he were giving a 'sad face' to all my posts on the Vulcan for some strange reason. Again, Mr. Blecky (or Ms.), please accept my humblest apologies for making you sad. I realise that with winter upon you in the Great White North, you're probably a bit depressed to begin with. Please know that I shall do my utmost in future to make you happy! Happy thoughts, old chap, we'll make it through this difficult time for you together!

Edited by Learstang
Response to a 'sad face'.
  • Confused 1