New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

17 hours ago, 71chally said:

November?! That's hell of a lead in time!

Well, it does give us a chance to save up the pennies so we can buy one (some), so makes the blow easier to bear.

To me it looks a superb kit and I am really pleased we are getting a proper bomb bay and conventional load.  Mind you, painting 21 1000 lb bombs will be a bit of a chore! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 593jones said:

Well, it does give us a chance to save up the pennies so we can buy one (some), so makes the blow easier to bear.

To me it looks a superb kit and I am really pleased we are getting a proper bomb bay and conventional load.  Mind you, painting 21 1000 lb bombs will be a bit of a chore! 

I got to figure out where I'm going to get the money for 3 from! 

24 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Only three? I admire a modeller that show's such restraint 🤣

My initial purchase. 

I have two major restrictions...  Space and being a college student without a job 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

My initial purchase. 

I have two major restrictions...  Space and being a college student without a job 

I feel your pain. If it's any consolation, I don't have much space either. I do have a job, but I also have four kids, so I don't have any money either. With all this talk of new Vulcans, Viscounts, Heralds, Belfasts and Beverleys for 2020, I may have to eBay a couple of spare kids to pay for all these goodies. 🤔😂

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I feel your pain. If it's any consolation, I don't have much space either. I do have a job, but I also have four kids, so I don't have any money either. With all this talk of new Vulcans, Viscounts, Heralds, Belfasts and Beverleys for 2020, I may have to eBay a couple of spare kids to pay for all these goodies. 🤔😂

Hmmm I'm sure there was a law against that.... 😂 

Well, we shall see if MAD really works then....

Nice! 

Did you provide any research that hasn't shown up in CAD/model form yet, no specifics as you said but an exciting yes, little yes or no would do 

If they haven't asked about B1s please let them know that there are those here who would buy a great number of them, including @robvulcanand myself, and it seems a few on Facebook as well who wanted a B1

Little yes,

Just a thought but are there two types of intake to be included? IIRC the early B.2’s had a narrower type inherited from the B.1 which includes XH558.

Not quite, the first seven B2s, including prototype XH533 retained the narrower B1 intakes as the centre sections were already complete and simply too expensive to scrap. XH558, the first operational B2 was fitted with the wider intakes to cope with increased airflow of the 200 series Olympus. 

I thought Airfix used a 3d scanner to make their new kits

Well, Airfix use LiDAR technology which involves laser scanning an object and converting the raw data to create 3D models and maps of an object. This relates to the design stage, the research side that I'm involved with deals with finer details such as historical differences between individual airframes, mission specific requirements, (ie high-altitude, low-level operations), weapons load, VHF/UHF aerial and ECM suites, choice of airframes etc. 

General, old horse, I knew you had your hands in this somehow! Of course if one of the vortex generators is a fraction of a mm off, we're going to be blaming you. By the by, now that you well and truly have Airfix's ear(s), could you, would you please gently whisper into it that we need a Lincoln in the One True Scale! 

My dear Marshal Zhukov, if you find a vortex generator anywhere near a B2 wing you can personally have me hung, drawn and quartered and remove my chocolate ration for a whole week!

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Anyway, back on topic I think the old tooling will be easier to convert to a Mk.1 because of the way the kit's wings are designed so I reckon many of the soon to be discarded old tools will end up that way. If they go at a decent price I'll definitely want to do one.

And speaking of the Mk.1, I seem to recall, from the dim,dark past, that there were conversion kits to turn the old tool Vulcan into earlier versions. Who made them? Was it C-Scale? E.D. Models? I suspect we will see something similar for the new kit once it hits the streets.

46 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Little yes,

I look forward to seeing what it is :D 

46 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Well, Airfix use LiDAR technology which involves laser scanning an object and converting the raw data to create 3D models and maps of an object. This relates to the design stage, the research side that I'm involved with deals with finer details such as historical differences between individual airframes, mission specific requirements, (ie high-altitude, low-level operations), weapons load, VHF/UHF aerial and ECM suites, choice of airframes etc. 

Woo! No Olympus 301s on 201 engined aircraft and vice versa! I believe the kit's finer details are in very good hands then. 

Hope we get the early ECM tailcone so I can do an early Blue Steel one in camo. I found a picture of one in that configuration the other day but I cannot find it again!

51 minutes ago, general melchett said:

if you find a vortex generator anywhere near a B2 wing you can personally have me hung, drawn and quartered and remove my chocolate ration for a whole week!

But what if we get a Vulcan B1 version later down the line? 🤔 I'm sure it would sell for similar reasons to the Lanc Bii which needs a reissue, it's unusual.

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Woo! No Olympus 301s on 201 engined aircraft and vice versa! I believe the kit's finer details are in very good hands then. 

Hope we get the early ECM tailcone so I can do an early Blue Steel one in camo. I found a picture of one in that configuration the other day but I cannot find it again!

But what if we get a Vulcan B1 version later down the line? 🤔 I'm sure it would sell for similar reasons to the Lanc Bii which needs a reissue, it's unusual.

Apparently it will be 201 and 301

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I don't know.  The parts breakdown doesn't look conducive for a B.1 follow up release.

5 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

I don't know.  The parts breakdown doesn't look conducive for a B.1 follow up release.

You need to do basically everything back of the nose again to do a Vulcan B1 to be fair so if there's a case for it this isn't such an issue since all the components that are the same are already seperate

I hope they do  B1 and B1A kit they could brand is as the "Thunderball Vulcan" To increase sales to James Bond Collectors.

I am just eternally grateful we have a B2 for now. But seeing as Airfix have given us Harriers, Spits, B17, Canberras, Lancasters, etc etc of all flavours. If this sells well in time we might seem them make new wing molds and an alternate tail cone with the fillet for the rudder, new wheels etc wouldnt be too hard to achieve. But a saw and milliput will do it too :)

I never understand why whenever a model is released there seems to be more people talking about what its not what it should have been etc. Yet at the same time its good to show the desire for them to push forward.

But its business and we need to see more support for what is not yet released and will be an incredible piece of work. by the looks of it.

With all the economic uncertainty its very brave of Airfix to undertake such a project but at the same time I dont think you could pick a more popular subject that also badly needed a new model. Even thought the old one was very accurate.

But lets be honest its a piece of work.

Rob :)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

And speaking of the Mk.1, I seem to recall, from the dim,dark past, that there were conversion kits to turn the old tool Vulcan into earlier versions. Who made them? Was it C-Scale? E.D. Models? I suspect we will see something similar for the new kit once it hits the streets.

The conversion is still available as far as I’m aware. Try ‘Flightpath’ or djparkins.com. 🙂

Michael, you're referring to the DB Resins later David Parkin Flightpath resin/PE sets. I have a couple of them here with a few sacrificial old Airfix tin triangles awaiting the butcher's knife. I'm almost certain you'll see something along the same lines for this one in the future ;).

But what if we get a Vulcan B1 version later down the line?

Well, if a B1 appears from somewhere then I'll also have to eat my big feathery hat!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Well, if a B1 appears from somewhere then I'll also have to eat my big feathery hat!

The image of your avatar donning a large feathery bonnet has been seared into my brain!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

Off topic - Sigh. Still no good Hunter two seaters in either 1/72 or 1/48th, and eventhe recent Airfix single seat issue was not good as many hoped…)

What’s wrong with the new 1/48th Airfix Hunter kit? I have not heard of any major accuracy problems, though I assume there will be the usual gripes about Airfix’s panel lines. It’s certainly better than the Academy kit.

8 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

What’s wrong with the new 1/48th Airfix Hunter kit? 

The nose wheel is moulded as solid rather than spoked.  The undercarriage doors and flap interiors have minimal detail.

So...  to answer your question...   nothing really.  :)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The nose wheel is moulded as solid rather than spoked.  The undercarriage doors and flap interiors have minimal detail.

So...  to answer your question...   nothing really.  :)

OMG! It’s unbuildable! 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 11/11/2019 at 16:53, general melchett said:

My dear Marshal Zhukov, if you find a vortex generator anywhere near a B2 wing you can personally have me hung, drawn and quartered and remove my chocolate ration for a whole week!

A week?

There you go your generalship sir, eggsaggeration and hyperbole

You will never survive a week

Seven whole days, each of which also has evenings and nights?

Its O K sir Darling will be alongside in a jiffy with the Maltesers

(Brave man though, very brave)

• Haha 3

On 11/11/2019 at 4:53 PM, general melchett said:

In an effort to get free chocolate, I’ve been scouring the interwebby for ages.

I failed.

:blush:

Trevor

• Haha 2

On 11/10/2019 at 8:02 PM, 71chally said:

November?! That's hell of a lead in time!

Ah well *sigh* only 12 months to wait then... see you all this time next year! Take your time Airfix and get it absolutely right. Future generations of modellers - some as yet unborn* - will thank you for it !🙂  Despite what detractors may say, I think the Vulcan  remains one of the most iconic British aircraft ever made and recognisable to the general public as THE V-Bomber. 

Rich

* It was interesting that the last episode in the BBC documentary on HMS Queen Elizabeth ("Britain's Biggest Warship" - well worth a watch by the way), the narrator, on the ship's expected life span, concluded the programme by commenting that "her final crew have yet to be born...." a powerful and salutary message - especially for someone about to hit the big Six-O.

Edited by RichG
  • Like 6