New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

Sausages are ok I guess. But this thing is way better I am so happy that this is a thing.

Still love the old kit but man this is incredible.

If the mock up looks this good the final offering will be a dream come true.

I will take 89 Please.

B5B2DE1B-DB46-4A56-B8EF-54C407CE398F_zps

0F1CAD5F-AE0D-4A78-98A2-4B9F82B00ED2_zps

96BE223A-57C0-4933-9328-B1D5897C183A_zps

EECCA735-59E8-4000-9AFF-9974CA7EAD27_zps

2CC57DB7-5B86-42D6-85DF-6D2FDE06DE25_zps

GO AIRFIX YAYYYYYYYYY :frantic:

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

The positionable control surfaces just do it for me! That's just awesome! Will make it a pain to make a B1 out of though but I can deal with that. 

Its great and I think it would actually make it easier to convert to be honest and make new wings from scratch. I will certainly be making some B1 parts for it at some stage. BUT I am so happy we have a B2 first it makes more sense and I would much rather backdate to a B1 which Is way easier than the other route. The B2 has a much more complex wing shape to capture.

What interested me the most was the render shots of the CAD showed stressed panels I hope that makes it onto the final kit as that will make them look like real vulcans then without panel washes it will catch the light correctly and look amazing.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, robvulcan said:

Its great and I think it would actually make it easier to convert to be honest and make new wings from scratch. I will certainly be making some B1 parts for it at some stage. BUT I am so happy we have a B2 first it makes more sense and I would much rather backdate to a B1 which Is way easier than the other route. The B2 has a much more complex wing shape to capture.

What interested me the most was the render shots of the CAD showed stressed panels I hope that makes it onto the final kit as that will make them look like real vulcans then without panel washes it will catch the light correctly and look amazing.

Yes the backdating sound far easier. How come you think it will be easier?

I'll let you do the conversion first before I attempt it 😂 you're far better at that stuff.

I missed the stressed skin detail. I hope that does show up.

3 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Yes the backdating sound far easier. How come you think it will be easier?

I'll let you do the conversion first before I attempt it 😂 you're far better at that stuff.

I missed the stressed skin detail. I hope that does show up.

Me too. Its just the complex curves on the B2 wing would be much harder to acheive.

It did look very nice. As I have an 83 original boxing, with some a/market, I haggled a bit on the Wolpack stand and got a decent discount on the wheel well and intakes upgrades. I plan to finish just in time for the new one. I was advised the new kit will include the Bla k Buck fit, so I will build both. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 11:00 PM, general melchett said:

Hi chaps, I'm glad the model has gone down well. I was asked by Airfix to provide the research on this one, which hopefully will result in the best Vulcan  out there. Working alongside the designer has been fun and while there are still some tweaks to apply, it's certainly getting there. Please don't ask for any specifics at this point as a  firing  squad would have be the answer... 

Melchie

I thought Airfix used a 3d scanner to make their new kits

On 09/11/2019 at 17:00, general melchett said:

Hi chaps, I'm glad the model has gone down well. I was asked by Airfix to provide the research on this one, which hopefully will result in the best Vulcan  out there. Working alongside the designer has been fun and while there are still some tweaks to apply, it's certainly getting there. Please don't ask for any specifics at this point as a  firing  squad would have be the answer... 

Melchie

General, old horse, I knew you had your hands in this somehow! Of course if one of the vortex generators is a fraction of a mm off, we're going to be blaming you. By the by, now that you well and truly have Airfix's ear(s), could you, would you please gently whisper into it that we need a Lincoln in the One True Scale! Tell them I will personally buy a full squadron's worth. So let it be written, so let it be done...

I Remain, As Always (because no one else will take the job),

Jason

P.S. To Wm Blecky, who left a sad face for this post, please accept my sincerest apologies for giving you a 'sad'! I shall try my upmost from here on to avoid doing that again. If you would please provide me with a list of things which make you sad, I will endeavour not to include them in any future posts. Would you please enlighten me as to what gave you a 'sad' about this post - do Avro Lincolns make you sad? Or was it vortex generators?

Edited by Learstang
Response to a 'sad face'.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, 71chally said:

November?! That's hell of a lead in time!

I will try and build a couple at least, so many options and schemes, a 617 wraparound being my favourite.

It is a fair lead time, yes, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait ! I'll be in line for a couple too; camo over white will definite;y be one for me.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 9:04 PM, percival p. said:

Thank you. I'm still learning.

Give the rattle can a good shake and some say to slightly warm the can before you spray... Light thin misted on coats work well - I spray it over halfords matt white primer and it works a treat.

13 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Daddies any day of tbe week.  A superior sauce.

Ewwwwwww😱😱😱! Why would you ruin it by using that vile concoction??? That " sauce " is truly the excrement of Satan!. It's even worse than ketchup, if that is possible😕

Allan

Sauces aside, I'm very pleased that Airfix have chosen to complete their V-Bombers line-up in 1:72. There are going to be SO many of the old tool kit hitting the second hand market in the run-up to release and once it's here.  I shall need at least 2. :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Ewwwwwww😱😱😱! Why would you ruin it by using that vile concoction??? That " sauce " is truly the excrement of Satan!. It's even worse than ketchup, if that is possible😕

Allan

I once bought a very runny cheese in France which, upon opening, the aroma made me almost swoon and I immediately thought it must be the work of Beelzebub himself.  It was, however, very tasty.

• Haha 1

I don't usually get excited about noisy, pointy things, but blimey, I'm excited about this. I'm guessing that if we all want a Vulcan at release, then pre-ordering will be the way to go. I have a feeling these are going to be hen's teeth next November. 

I've got a hankering to do XL426, but the a dozen more schemes come to mind. Wonder how many options will come in the box? Not that it will matter much as I imagine the aftermarket boys will be all over this.

More importantly, I'm also wondering where Robvulcan is going to keep 89 Vulcans?

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Anyway, back on topic I think the old tooling will be easier to convert to a Mk.1 because of the way the kit's wings are designed so I reckon many of the soon to be discarded old tools will end up that way. If they go at a decent price I'll definitely want to do one.

• Like 1

Just now, Meatbox8 said:

Anyway, back on topic I think the old tooling will be easier to convert to a Mk.1 because of the way the kit's wings are designed so I reckon many of the soon to be discarded old tools will end up that way. If they go at a decent price I'll definitely want to do one.

You're gonna get a lot of PMs offering them now :lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

I don't usually get excited about noisy, pointy things, but blimey, I'm excited about this. I'm guessing that if we all want a Vulcan at release, then pre-ordering will be the way to go. I have a feeling these are going to be hen's teeth next November. 

I've got a hankering to do XL426, but the a dozen more schemes come to mind. Wonder how many options will come in the box? Not that it will matter much as I imagine the aftermarket boys will be all over this.

More importantly, I'm also wondering where Robvulcan is going to keep 89 Vulcans?

Steve

Judging from the parts lay out and the prototype kit my guess is that the first release will be earlier versions in white or the glossy camouflage scheme and later releases will be Black Buck etc.  I wonder if there will be a tanker option on the future.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

You're gonna get a lot of PMs offering them now :lol:

Garn!  I didn't think it through. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Judging from the parts lay out and the prototype kit my guess is that the first release will be earlier versions in white or the glossy camouflage scheme and later releases will be Black Buck etc.  I wonder if there will be a tanker option on the future.

Garn!  I didn't think it through. 

That makes sense. Just means I'll have to buy several kits just like everyone else then. Happy days!

• Haha 1

Is that a FOD guard that Airfix used as a tease?  If so it could be applied to any already built old tools to cover a multitude of sins.

1 minute ago, fightersweep said:

That makes sense. Just means I'll have to buy several kits just like everyone else then. Happy days!

We all have to make sacrifices.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Mike said:

There are going to be SO many of the old tool kit hitting the second hand market in the run-up to release and once it's here.

I'm not so sure about that.  I thought the same about old tool Buccaneers.  I was going to grab a couple of cheapies for some whif projects I have in mind.  However, the old tool kits are still even more expensive than the new tool ones.

So now I'm thinking about how good a new tool model would look with wings folded in 805 Sqn RAN colours.

Interesting. I am a bit surprised Airfix feels there is enough interest to produce a replacement for what I thought was a darn good original kit. Given the development cost and the high likely retail cost, this suggests they believe the Vulcan still has a serious hold on public attention.  I hope they are right, for the sake of future releases.  And well done ‘General Melchett’ and others for helping guide them!

I wonder how much this was influenced by the fact that there are fairly good example available to scan and that technique has now well proved itself. It may make overall development cost lower I suppose.

Before I get shot down by flak from the enthusiasts upset at my less enthusiastic  comments after 16 pages of ‘wow’,  I say this as one who built,  way, way back, all three Frog 1/96th V bombers, built a Lindberg Vulcan and an odd Far Eastern  small scale machine, plus  a vacform B2 (immediately before the original Airfix issue!). I also have built the original Airfix kit for myself and by request for two non-modelling Vulcan enthusiasts, so I do have ‘form’ here. And several 'in stock'.

I agree with the view that this means there will be more modified and ‘what-if’ machines around, built from the cheaper originals. I’m already debating  a couple…

Just curious about the economics, which has to be long term, unless the moulds are deliberately short life low cost ones.   Rather like the new 1/72 Buccaneer, the extra detail looks impressive, but so is the (likely) cost.   I do hope Airfix is going to continue to expand to cover some of the other kits people have mentioned over the years, not just opt for re-working existing types. 

(Off topic - Sigh. Still no good Hunter two seaters in either 1/72 or 1/48th, and eventhe recent Airfix single seat issue was not good as many hoped…)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Just a thought but are there two types of intake to be included? IIRC the early B.2’s had a narrower type inherited from the B.1 which includes XH558.

Trevor

558 had the wider ones.

556 was the last with the B1 intakes, 558 was pure 201 powered B2 when built.

But yes, there were two types of intake. I was discussing this with Rob the other day and we think there may or may not be a slight variation between later B2s and early B2s (with the wider intakes), so 3 styles but we can't be sure.

Other problem is the wing structure was apparently quite different with the early thin intakes so you'd need other modifications. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2