New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

1 hour ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

At least we can anticipate one of the marking options - XM594 - if she was LIDAR'd for the kit you'd imagine they would use her markings as one of the options - and I'd hope that the excellent museum at Newark would have got something out of it too so best of British to em!

The Vulcan was always 'not if but when' - they've done her now.....I admit I thought they might do an anti-flash white version first (a la Victor) then a Falklands or 558 boxing later on.....

I hope they sell armfuls of them! 

What is interesting is a previous poster saying she had been LIDAR'd  late last year, with a test shot due tomorrow and a release sometime in 2020 (? God knows with Airfix woeful lack of keeping to schedules - usually they're late and pushed back - the irony of this announcement being premature is not lost on me!)  so a 18month-2 year turnaround...

TT 

P.S. Twintub Spit- just sayin...

I hope the new tool will have separate nose terrain following radar 'pimple' and ECM fit on top of the fin.  It was quite tricky to remove them on the old tool.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rob G said:

I'll have to admit to a meh kinda feeling about this. While the Vulcan is an impressive aircraft, I have no desire to make a model of it. For thems as do, I hope the kit is everything you desire and that Airfix have to do a second run to fill demand. That'd be good for business.

Also, if anyone believes that the early announcement was 'a mistake', well...

Personally, I'd like the high-backed Spit XIV, that would make me a happy bunny, but seeing as they've said they won't make one, I guess I'm out of luck.

Yep. Don’t know why but Vulcan love passed me by. But then I prefer the Stirling to the Lancaster and hurricane to spitfire, so what do I know...?

BUT I’m pleased they’re doing this as it’s the nearest thing to a dead cert money spinner I can think of, and the hobby needs Airfix firmly in the black and able to underwrite riskier choices.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 26Decals said:

Sounds like a good excuse to get my Vulcan decals reprinted :)

Sounds good! I'll need a few decals if the kit schemes aren't to my liking.

Would you do a Victor B1 and Vulcan B1 sheet in 1/144? :) 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Well I was half- right ....  it's a Vulcan but not 1:24  :)

I'd better get saving in case there's a future  V-Force 70th Anniversary gift set containing Valiant, Victor & Vuclan....

I wish! Antiflash trio! 

Tbh I'd be happy with just a Valiant reissue!

• Like 2

3fq5bl.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator 

Haha 🤣

Seriously  though, this makes it a bit of an anti-climax, not going to Telford this year and was looking forward to getting in from work at midday tomorrow to see what is the news, and this happens.......

I'm just curious at the picture @Adam Poultney put up, this is Facebook on a mobile? (sorry, my mobile is 15 years old lol) Just looks a bit confusing to me, probably just me though 🙄🤣

Edited by Toe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Toe said:

I'm just curious at the picture @Adam Poultney put up, this is Facebook on a mobile? (sorry, my mobile is 15 years old lol) Just looks a bit confusing to me, probably just me though 🙄🤣

The picture is a screenshot of Airfix's live steam schedule for Telford on YouTube.

I have posted the same screenshot from YouTube on Facebook.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Adam Poultney said:

The picture is a screenshot of Airfix's live steam schedule for Telford on YouTube.

I have posted the same screenshot from YouTube on Facebook.

Ah right, cheers Adam, differing platforms show the same things differently I guess

3 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

At least we can anticipate one of the marking options - XM594 - if she was LIDAR'd for the kit you'd imagine they would use her markings as one of the options

Some of us from Jet Age went to a talk by an Airfix researcher last year.

They can only LIDAR indoor subjects.  Outside subjects get knocked adout by the weather too much.

13 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Some of us from Jet Age went to a talk by an Airfix researcher last year.

They can only LIDAR indoor subjects.  Outside subjects get knocked adout by the weather too much.

Well, when the resolution of LIDAR is close to the the thickness of a layer of paint any breeze is going to make the thing you are measuring move more than that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Well, when the resolution of LIDAR is close to the the thickness of a layer of paint any breeze is going to make the thing you are measuring move more than that.

It's not my LIDAR  - just saying what Airfix said.  It limits the subjects they can measure.

17 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

It's not my LIDAR  - just saying what Airfix said.  It limits the subjects they can measure.

I know! I meant you in the general sense, not you specifically.

On 07/11/2019 at 18:32, Adam Poultney said:

I do hope that no one is fired. Whoever did this deserves a medal not the loss of their job for a mistake

Didn't one of the recent workbench articles reference a P45?

Couldn't this 'announcement' be related?

4 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Sneak out a 'leak' and get a whole load of publicity. Reveal the kit at the show and get another load. Standard practice.

And i love it, curious about the looks...

Just traded a new B25 for an old tool a month ago and i had this scenario in the back of my mind when i traded it....😂😂

cheers, Jan

Whatever I'll be sitting by my phone waiting for the the announcement tomorrow morning. (My emails arrive on the phone). 

It's an event but hey I'm a sucker for an event. 

If it's a Vulcan it better be the definitive Vulcan. The forever Vulcan. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

The picture is a screenshot of Airfix's live steam schedule for Telford on YouTube

"Live Steam" - let's hope it's City of Truro!

• Haha 1