New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

23 minutes ago, Charlie Hugo said:

I also have never (that I can recall) seen any of the V-bombers built.

Charlie you're clearly just not looking hard enough... :whistle:  - always happy to assist:

11 minutes ago, Charlie Hugo said:

Ok in the flesh.

Noted. But you gotta admit its a beautiful thang...😍 I hope Airfix put the A team on the Vulcan.

Now where did I put my copy of  Vulcan 607 ?

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

vulcan_04.jpg

Always worth bearing in mind there is an engineering lineage between those two machines (Lancaster and Vulcan), though.

Not only was there less than a decade separating the designs - which I always find incredible - but I've always heard that the main wing spar is almost identical between the two, and I think the Vulcan was essentially designed around this (admittedly much evolved) giant girder that they already had the jigs for, which had been the spar in the Lancaster, the Lincoln and then the Shackleton before the Vulcan.

• Like 2

Just now, RichG said:

Noted. But you gotta admit its a beautiful thang...😍 I hope Airfix put the A team on the Vulcan.

Nahh much prefer a Spitfire or B-26 or B-1B

Would also love the Hart family, looking forward to Airfix's classic re-release of the Demon and Bulldog

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Was not,strictly speaking comparing the kits on the basis of the year of release. If I was, I might have mentioned that the 1973 B-26 Marauder and, 1981 Lancaster were both detailed to a higher standard than the Vulcan.

Airfix was capable, even in 1984 of much better than they gave us.However, it scarcely matters now.

I think the aforementioned Nimrod was the product of a different design team altogether? Nonetheless, it got generally good reviews as I recall.

I was not over impressed with the Vulcan but, at least it was a decent,basic canvas on which to work. It was after all, a Vulcan,warts and all.!😊 Notwithstanding it's flaws, I have built 5 over the years!

I will probably pass on this new one for reasons of cost if, for no other. It's going to be one of those kits I only get for birthdays etc!

Allan

I seem to remember reading that the Nimrod kit was designed in China, possibly by Trumpeter. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

I just hope the poor unfortunate employee who accidentally leaked this is still an employee. It would be a terrible shame if someone has lost their job over this.

My view on a new Vulcan is that it makes sense to complete the V Bomber trio to modern standards. If it sells as well as the Valiant and Victor it should be a good earner for Airfix. I hope they put the 'A' team onto it and not the WW1 re-enactors who did the Phantom or the soap factory team that did the Fw190A. I also hope they employed a QC Team beforehand to spot the short shots. Size wise it surely isn't any bigger than the 1/48 Javelin?

Duncan B 

I think the Vulcan will also be a good long term seller.  The old tooling has rarely been out of the catalogue since 1984 so they must still shift. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Charlie Hugo said:

Nahh much prefer a Spitfire or B-26 or B-1B

Would also love the Hart family, looking forward to Airfix's classic re-release of the Demon and Bulldog

Handley Page Victor -  the aviation equivalent of Pieter-Steph Du Toit 🙂

• Like 1

You have to hope that no one’s losing their job over it. Having run Comms for large companies, with social media teams, the number of ways this kind of mistake can happen is pretty large, and the nitty gritty bit is often left to the poor intern or junior bod. To be fair, they caught it pretty quickly, but not quite quickly enough for the ravening mob of people desperate for the slightest hint from Airfix....

best,

M.

Whilst is a nice leak for us lot, if you search on google, I can’t see anything reflecting this news, so I would guess Airfix have limited the potential impact this would have on their prepared news releases.

Now I just wait for all the critics to tell them what’s wrong with it

28 minutes ago, roy107 said:

Sadly true. I went last year while working in Edinburgh, and she was looking very down at heel on a bitterly cold December Saturday.

Roy

I did hear that the Scottish museum management were - a while back anyway - not enthusiastic about the military side of aviation and very much preferred the civil side to take front stage at East Fortune.  None of that made any sense to me but then nowt much does these days.  East Fortune is under the management of the National Museums of Scotland who deal with the other museums as well.  In fairness it may have moved on but they badly need to get outdoor exhibits out of the weather.  I heard they were working on that.  Anyway in danger of straying off topic so wholly agree with the rest of your post.

I can now add a couple of old mold Vulcans to the disposal stash along with their AM as well as three Matchbox Victors with cottage industry (rather decent actually) B2 conversion sets.  C'est la vie

• Like 1

I'll have to admit to a meh kinda feeling about this. While the Vulcan is an impressive aircraft, I have no desire to make a model of it. For thems as do, I hope the kit is everything you desire and that Airfix have to do a second run to fill demand. That'd be good for business.

Also, if anyone believes that the early announcement was 'a mistake', well...

Personally, I'd like the high-backed Spit XIV, that would make me a happy bunny, but seeing as they've said they won't make one, I guess I'm out of luck.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Roy

I did hear that the Scottish museum management were - a while back anyway - not enthusiastic about the military side of aviation and very much preferred the civil side to take front stage at East Fortune.  None of that made any sense to me but then nowt much does these days.  East Fortune is under the management of the National Museums of Scotland who deal with the other museums as well.  In fairness it may have moved on but they badly need to get outdoor exhibits out of the weather.  I heard they were working on that.  Anyway in danger of straying off topic so wholly agree with the rest of your post.

I can now add a couple of old mold Vulcans to the disposal stash along with their AM as well as three Matchbox Victors with cottage industry (rather decent actually) B2 conversion sets.  C'est la vie

I take your point about the museum management, and they do well in the rest of the museum. It is after all a museum of Flight, not exclusively military aircraft. Let's hope they manage to get the Vulcan and the couple of outdoor airliners, indoors.

On the subject of the Airfix Vulcan, I have no disposal stash and will be clinging onto my old mold Vulcans, as I prefer to chuck an old one together before embarking on a new mold type. I recently built a Matchbox Swordfish then an old Airfix Swordfish before embarking on the new Airfix one (well that was the plan, but it stalled mid-Airfix when I got distracted by something else). I'll do the same with Vulcans when I get around to it, I'll just change the plan so that the "celebrities" like XM607 are "new tool" and the old tool generic Vulcans can go to the back of the shelf.

As a result of that I could be interested in any old Vulcans or AM that you want to dispose of, if the wife will let me acquire a few on top of the various resin bits, new tool Vulcans and Mach 2 VC-10s that will no doubt be taking up space in my ever-tinier modelling room very soon!

Chris

57 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

Whilst is a nice leak for us lot, if you search on google, I can’t see anything reflecting this news, so I would guess Airfix have limited the potential impact this would have on their prepared news releases.

Now I just wait for all the critics to tell them what’s wrong with it

It appeared very briefly on the Airfix Facebook page. There one minute, gone the next!

Allan

I wonder if it's a clever diversion but I'm always a believer in the cock up rather than the conspiracy theory.  So probably not.  I did feel it might be a Vulcan after the last Airfix workbench with the word 'revel' in it. I was put off the idea though and suggested a 1/48 P47 because of the emphasis on BIG. 

Well it obviously pleased a lot of people here. I'm glad for that. I won't be buying it though. Not my thing. Now a Halifax...……………...

I wonder if there'll be other announcements?  If the Vulcan proves one thing then Airfix is updating it's back catalogue. Also I do think that a 1/48 P47 can't be too far away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

🤣🤣! Or a combination of any or all of them!

I occasionally visit ARC for a laugh! When they rubbish anything, I usually take that as a sign to buy the offending kit😊

Allan

Don't you mean Hyperwhinescale?

• Haha 1

Since I retired the most I have paid for a kit is £24.99 for the Airfix Phantom and that would be my limit. (actually that is not true - I did buy a Valliant for £30 in a local model shop at the time they were selling for over £90 on auction sites - I sold that at a profit, so counting it as an investment)  So £60 or so for a new Vulcan would not be for me. Also the Vulcan is a Aircraft where you cannot see any of the cockpit area, therefore (for me) a detailed interior would be a waste.

I do have a built Airfix built Vulcan, which I picked up only a couple of years ago for £10, and should I need another I would buy the old mould. In the same way I recently purchased a Revell Victor for under £20 from my local LMS. Looking at e-bay I seems that the going price for the Airfix Vulcan over the last few months varies from about £20 (inc p&p) with the majority just under £30. A few people seemed to have paid more than the £38.99 current list price!

Having said that, if the "leak" Is correct Airfix will have a winner on their hands as there are enough of you out there who appreciate a premium product and will purchase it. I look forward to following some build threads upon its release.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Balliol?

Trevor

I presumed you weren't talking of John Balliol, 13th Century King of Scotland?

Still had to Google it though! 😉😅

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

At least we can anticipate one of the marking options - XM594 - if she was LIDAR'd for the kit you'd imagine they would use her markings as one of the options - and I'd hope that the excellent museum at Newark would have got something out of it too so best of British to em!

The Vulcan was always 'not if but when' - they've done her now.....I admit I thought they might do an anti-flash white version first (a la Victor) then a Falklands or 558 boxing later on.....

I hope they sell armfuls of them! 

What is interesting is a previous poster saying she had been LIDAR'd  late last year, with a test shot due tomorrow and a release sometime in 2020 (? God knows with Airfix woeful lack of keeping to schedules - usually they're late and pushed back - the irony of this announcement being premature is not lost on me!)  so a 18month-2 year turnaround...

TT 

P.S. Twintub Spit- just sayin...

1 hour ago, Paul821 said:

. Also the Vulcan is a Aircraft where you cannot see any of the cockpit area, therefore (for me) a detailed interior would be a waste.

My books are all in storage at present but I can say there is a photo I have seen of a Vulcan that had a problem on landing.  The picture is taken from an elevated position.  The aircraft has run off the runway to the side onto the grass leaving trenches behind and the whole top of the cockpit blister has been blown off as part of the escape processes I imagine.  Always thought it would make a great diorama.

A Google search seems to suggest I was recalling Avro Vulcan B1 XH498 of No 617 Squadron in 1959 after a crash landing at RNZAF Ohakea. Whilst displaying at Wellington Airport in October 1959, 498 touched down short of the runway and damaged the port undercarriage leg. Having got airborne again, 498 returned to its temporary base at Ohakea where the port leg collapsed on landing.  Searched under Avro Vulcan landing accident.   

Just sayin if you wanted to display cockpit detail and they do a B1 .....

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

I presumed you weren't talking of John Balliol, 13th Century King of Scotland?

Still had to Google it though! 😉😅

Allan

Well let’s face it, now that the Vulcan is a cert we need something else to campaign about. 

One drip at a time will eventually crack the hardest rock............

Trevor

• Haha 2