New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

1 minute ago, VMA131Marine said:

The important thing is that it makes money for Airfix. Iā€™m in for at least three; four if they provide parts for the tanker version.

I don't doubt it will. My personal preference would have been for the earlier B1/B1A though. I have " fond" memories of spending many happy hours producing a B1A from the ancient Lindberg kit!!šŸ˜Š

Ā 

Allan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

I think it will prove popular with many people, not just those on this forum. and make them good money.Ā  It is popular with me, as it removes all fear that Airfix might be doing a new Halifax and so draw money out of my wallet.

Well Graham, they still have plenty of time to announce a new Halifax šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‚.Ā 

Ā 

Allan

Of course this represents a total stab in the dark for Airfix. I mean what do they know about how popular a 1/72 scale Vulcan would be or how many they might sell or even if there's any market for them out there. And have they even considered the competition...?Ā I mean it's not as if they've been selling them for nearly 40 years.Ā Oh, wait a moment, now I think about it....Ā :hmmm:Ā Oops sorry about that, I accidently had irony mode on...

Ā 

Rich

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Well, that's kicked the legs ofĀ anticipation from under me!Ā  No need to rush home on Saturday morning now.Ā  I probably will buy one, I do have both Victors and a Valiant in the stash, so it would be rude not to.Ā  It will remain to be seen how the model is tooled, and whether other versions will be possible; if so, that would probably persuade me to buy more, certainly if a B1 was to appear.

Ā 

I suppose I'll have to wait another year for the 1/48 Hampden now.Ā  :(

Edited by 593jones
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mick b said:

Agreed, Ā like the Nimrods that weā€™re being sold for a tenner in modelzoneĀ at one point ...a dull announcement in my opinion; Ā if true.

Ā 

Mike.

Ā 

Ā 

Airfix have been pretty good lately at picking their signature releases. The first run of the Hellcat was completely sold out before the kits were even available. Seems like the Victor did well and now there seems to be demand for a Valiant re-release. They also could never keep the first issue of the 1/48 Walrus in stock.Ā 

Ā 

For those paying attention, a new Vulcan kit was inevitable, the only real question was whether it would be 1/48 or 1/72, although 1/72 was always the favourite. I hope the kit does well, and you should too because that will mean Ā more new releases in the future. They arenā€™t going to please everyone with every new release, nor should they try.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Jordi said:

Ā 

The Nimrod was a half-hearted effort at best. Ā It took a wad of money's worth of resin to begin to fix it, and even then you still have major work to do.

Ā The basic kit was actually Ok and, it went together very well but, in my own personal view, it was over priced and seriously under detailed.Ā  So, I would agree up to a point. The decals were truly awful though!

I actually think the original Airfix Vulcan was a bit half hearted too. Very basic and lacking in fine detail. The parts fit even when new was not good. I got the distinct impression it was a bit of a rush job.. Could have been a lot better with a bit more effort

Ā 

Allan

Ā 

Ā 

53 minutes ago, Jordi said:

The Nimrod was a half-hearted effort at best. Ā It took a wad of money's worth of resin to begin to fix it, and even then you still have major work to do.

I'm not really sure why people keep going on about the Nimrod kit as if it represents some sort of benchmark or warning from history. It wasĀ released in 2007 / early 2008 and was I understand essentially a legacy of the previous company under Humbrol and a product of a different design team and different ethos. Ā The production run was geared directly to the retailers' preorders, which in turn was a reflection of the retailers' perceivedĀ customer demand Ā - anticipating a TSR2 feeding frenzy for such a long sought after subject. I guessĀ the Nimrod's size andĀ higher RRP (compared to TSR2) meant in comparisonĀ far fewer people were buying multiple copies - which ultimately led to knockdown prices to clear the surplus stock (I picked up a couple myself off a large pileĀ inĀ MZ).Ā I also recall the Nimrod actually had good reviews when released and was very favourably received (for an Airfix kit of its era).Ā 

Ā 

A wander back through reviews of kits released since then has demonstrated a company with progressively better and more ambitious products often employing the latest LIDAR scanning to ensure super accurate shape and "sit", fantastic decals andĀ box art. All thisĀ culminating in the stunning 1/24 Hellcat released earlier this year. Not my cup of tea, but represents superb engineering andĀ stands favourable comparison Ā with rivalĀ Ā manufacturers products.

Ā 

RichĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by RichG
  • Like 12

WELL DONE AIRFIX!

Great news, long overdue.

A new Vulcan will sit perfectly with the Victor and Valiant.

Wonderful to see the V bombers done justice.

I will be definitely making more than one, too many great schemes :) :) :)

• Like 1

Would love one in 1/72nd but 'cos of enforced kit buying ban I will have to remain happy with my built GWH 1/144th. one and another waiting in the stash with Fundekals for it.Ā  Ā Glad that Airfix have pleased a lot of BMers though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jordi said:

Not really fair to compare a 1984 release with a 2007 release. Ā Iā€™ll admit the 1984 Vulcan could certainly have been better (concrete sewer pipe exhausts), but the state of the art has advanced a lot in the intervening years.

Was not,strictly speaking comparing the kits on the basis of the year of release. If I was, I might have mentioned that the 1973 B-26 Marauder and, 1981 Lancaster were both detailed to a higher standard than the Vulcan.

Airfix was capable, even in 1984 of much better than they gave us.However, it scarcely matters now.

Ā 

Ā I think the aforementioned Nimrod was the product of a different design team altogether? Nonetheless, it got generally good reviews as I recall.

Ā 

I was not over impressed with the Vulcan but, at least it was a decent,basic canvas on which to work. It was after all, a Vulcan,warts and all.!šŸ˜Š Notwithstanding it's flaws, I have built 5 over the years!

I will probably pass on this new one for reasons of cost if, for no other. It's going to be one of those kits I only get for birthdays etc!

Ā 

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 3

I think it makes sense for Airfix to have modern tooled the Vulcan given they have done this with the other 2 V bombers Ā (Revell take note 1/32 He111, Ju88 so where is the BoB Dornier?) Ā 

I will take one, two ifĀ itā€™s available in B1 and B2 versions in due course.Ā 
Ā 

A couple of comments on posts.Ā 
Ā 

if you want an accurate Brazilian Vulcan then you will have a huge weathering project. She is looking criminally tired at East Fortune the last time I saw her.Ā 
Ā 

A /148 Hampden from Airfix? Why when you can have hours of innocent fun building an Fonderie Minatures one?Ā :angry:

Ā 

And too big? Ā Canā€™t see it myself but perhaps for some but itā€™s not significantly bigger than a WW2 heavy in 1/72 Iā€™d guess.Ā 
Ā 

Anyway no one yet opined itā€™s not buildable so thatā€™s progressĀ :D

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JohnT said:

. She is looking criminally tired at East Fortune

Sadly true. I went last year while working in Edinburgh, and she was looking very down at heel on a bitterly cold December Saturday.

Ā 

Very exciting to get my camera all over one of the Shrike pylons that were mounted on the Skybolt hardpoints though.

Ā 

On the subject of a new tool Airfix Vulcan I'm very excited if it's true but a little disappointed that it got leaked before the Saturday announcement. Will definitely be looking to add several to the stash as I have several Vulcan projects in mind...including XM597.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JohnT said:

And too big? Ā Canā€™t see it myself but perhaps for some but itā€™s not significantly bigger than a WW2 heavy in 1/72 Iā€™d guess.Ā 

Fair pointĀ 

lancaster-bombers-and-vulcan-xh558-ken-b

Ā 

It looks a lot heftier, because it's such a "solid" shape but in overall length and span there is not a huge amount in itĀ 

Ā 

vulcan_04.jpg

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 7

To be honest none of the V-bombers have had any appeal to me so if Airfix is releasing one next year then my wallet can breathe a little easy, now if there was a Spitfire VC in either of the popular scales it would be groaning. Just received my latest Eduard fix and am awaiting the next three to arrive.

Ā 

I also have never (that I can recall) seen any of the V-bombers built.

Spitfires,, P-51/40/47/Bf109/Fw190 Lancaster B-17 yes V-bomber no..

Ā 

At least some are going to have a good year.

11 minutes ago, spaddad said:

Give it time.

Or, criminally inaccurate, fatally flawed and, the perennial favourite, the usually undefined and possibly indefinable : " I don't know but, something just does not look right!"

Ā 

Wait until it gets completely rubbished on ARC forum. Then we'll know for sure Airfix has a winner

Ā 

Allan

• Haha 6

I just hope the poor unfortunate employee who accidentally leaked this is still an employee. It would be a terrible shame ifĀ someone has lost their job over this.

Ā 

My view on a new Vulcan is that it makes sense to complete the V Bomber trio to modern standards. If it sells as well as the Valiant and Victor it should be a good earner for Airfix. I hope they put the 'A' team onto it and not the WW1 re-enactors who did the Phantom or the soap factory team that did the Fw190A. I also hope they employed a QC Team beforehand to spot the short shots. Size wise it surely isn't any bigger than the 1/48 Javelin?

Ā 

Duncan BĀ 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Or, criminally inaccurate, fatally flawed and, the perennial favourite, the usually undefined and possibly indefinable : " I don't know but, something just does not look right!"

Ā 

Wait until it gets completely rubbished on ARC forum. Then we'll know for sure Airfix has a winner

Ā 

Allan

Is that with or without the red/blue/green/yellow lines?

Hell it has been years since I visited ARC

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Charlie Hugo said:

To be honest none of the V-bombers have had any appeal to me so if Airfix is releasing one next year then my wallet can breathe a little easy, now if there was a Spitfire VC in either of the popular scales it would be groaning. Just received my latest Eduard fix and am awaiting the next three to arrive.

Ā 

I also have never (that I can recall) seen any of the V-bombers built.

Spitfires,, P-51/40/47/Bf109/Fw190 Lancaster B-17 yes V-bomber no..

Ā 

At least some are going to have a good year.

I've seen quite a few V Bombers built (although quite a few of them are mine :D )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Depends on one's definition of "too big"! For some, even a WWII heavy may be "too big"!

One could probably fit two Buccaneers in the space needed for one Vulcan! šŸ˜‰šŸ˜…

I have difficulty finding space for a Shackleton!! My Revell and Airfix kits are completed but, still languish in a cupboard!

Ā 

Allan

2 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Ā 

Ā I hope they put the 'A' team onto it and not the WW1 re-enactors who did the Phantom or the soap factory team that did the Fw190A.

That Fw190A is horrific to assemble without making a mess of it! So fiddly

13 minutes ago, Charlie Hugo said:

. Just received my latest Eduard fix and am awaiting the next three to arrive

How about Eduard V Bombers?

4 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

My view on a new Vulcan is that it makes sense to complete the V Bomber trio to modern standards. If it sells as well as the Valiant and Victor it should be a good earner for Airfix.

Thought the Valiant didn't sell that well at first and that's why we haven't seen it in a while? Same as the Nimrod...Ā 

That said if it was back out at original price I'd have a few of them, three I think

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Charlie Hugo said:

Is that with or without the red/blue/green/yellow lines?

Hell it has been years since I visited ARC

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£! Or a combination of any or all of them!

I occasionally visit ARC for a laugh! When they rubbish anything, I usually take that as a sign to buy the offending kitšŸ˜Š

Ā 

Allan

1 minute ago, Adam Poultney said:

That Fw190A is horrific to assemble without making a mess of it! So fiddly

Ā 

Thought the Valiant didn't sell that well at first and that's why we haven't seen it in a while? Same as the Nimrod...Ā 

That said if it was back out at original price I'd have a few of them, three I think

The Fw190A was an error strewn disaster that should never had seen the light of day (I'm being a bit AmDram and OTT there but it wasn't a good effort).

Ā 

The Valiant may have been slow to shift from shop shelves but they have all gone so it was a result for Airfix (Shop owners may have a different view on that).

Ā 

Duncan B