New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

Obviously I hope this is real, if it is I can see myself buying more than 1. If it’s real I suspect this might not have been a mistake, but a bit of clever marketing to get a bit of a buzz going.

Or it might be a Vickers Vulcan!

Edited by zebra
Something went very wrong!
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

I'm guessing all my Wolfpack resin bits and Flightpath photo-etch for the old Vulcan won't fit the new one all that easily, if they're even needed at all. I guess I should try to build on of the old ones and load it up with detail parts before the new kit becomes available.

My thoughts exactly.

Regards

Robert

22 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

You're in a minority there I think

I wouldn’t go as far as “big disappointment”, but I’ve got no interest in buying one or building one, any more than the Victor or Valiant. Too big, too impractical, and too off-topic for me... rather like the Hellcat or Typhoon. The Buccaneer or Hunter F.4 are a different matter...

I’ll bet a lot of big red boxes get bought in 2020, and find their way unopened into the SMW Kit Swap a couple of years later...

best,

M.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I’ll bet a lot of big red boxes get bought in 2020, and find their way unopened into the SMW Kit Swap a couple of years later...

best,

M.

Agreed,  like the Nimrods that we’re being sold for a tenner in modelzone at one point ...a dull announcement in my opinion;  if true.

Mike.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, patjb said:

Airfix forum moderator "To dispel further speculation, a PR error has occurred and what should have been announced on Saturday was announced prematurely in error"

Is it too late for Airfix's Telford team to leave the Vulcan at Margate and bring another 2020 new release along just to keep the surprise going?

I'd love to see all your eager faces waiting to see which mark it is, what engines it has and whether there's a full bomb bay only to have the 1:48 Hampden announced. 😄

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Well played Airfix. I'm not sure this was a mistake. What can any other manufacturer announce that will get much attention from the scrum of people wanting to get a look at the new Vulcan kit on the Airfix stand now? Plenty free publicity being generated once again.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mick b said:

best,

And on that cheerful note... As long as they turn a profit for Airfix to keep them in business who really cares what people do with them... Airfix  are in business to satisfy a demand which is their objective.  It's when those big red boxes sit unsold in warehouses there's a problem... 

Rich 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

I'm guessing all my Wolfpack resin bits and Flightpath photo-etch for the old Vulcan won't fit the new one all that easily, if they're even needed at all.

Send all your now useless conversion bits to me for disposal.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Is it too late for Airfix's Telford team to leave the Vulcan at Margate and bring another 2020 new release along just to keep the surprise going?

I'd love to see all your eager faces waiting to see which mark it is, what engines it has and whether there's a full bomb bay only to have the 1:48 Hampden announced. 😄

Nah bring the Vulcan imagine the disappointment if they didn't show it now... 

They should bring more releases to make up for it though!

1/48 Hampden? No thanks. I'd rather have 1/72 if I wanted a Hampden at all, which I don't to be fair. But then I'd rather both be released with with the Blenheim.

Because we all know the real big announcement is a new 1/48 Spitfire

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, komoras said:

There you go buddy! 🍻

spacer.png

I’m happy for those of you that are hyperventilating at the moment and wish you many happy tin triangles.

Now then - top left of the screen grab - ‘7 waiting’........seven more announcements?

Trevor

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

And do you know how much that will bother Airfix?

Not at all!

I agree that a B1 would be an excellent choice, but suspect that the B2 would be more likely given the range of options possible - white V-force; camo V-force with white undersides; XM607; XM597 with Shrike (giving the opportunity for a Not a Dogfight Double release with a Brazilian F-5E...) and, with a rather dull inevitability, XH588.  

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

You're in a minority there I think

Respectfully disagree. It may be a minority on a single discussion on this site but, I suspect the reality may be somewhat different. For every person pleased with the prospect, I would not be surprised if there were several who might think it a wasted opportunity. 

Allan  ( who'd rather have a Manchester or Lincoln!😉)

• Like 10

40 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Is it too late for Airfix's Telford team to leave the Vulcan at Margate and bring another 2020 new release along just to keep the surprise going?

If you saw the James May program on Hornby’s struggles, you’ll remember that the Hellcat model that appeared on the Airfix stand last year was shipped to the builder a couple of months before the show and even then it was barely completed in time. There’s no chance they could get something else ready to show at this late hour.

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Airfix gets money, I get cheap Vulcans....

I see this as an absolute win

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Respectfully disagree. It may be a minority on a single discussion on this site but, I suspect the reality may be somewhat different. For every person pleased with the prospect, I would not be surprised if there were several who might think it a wasted opportunity. 

Allan  ( who'd rather have a Manchester or Lincoln!😉)

The important thing is that it makes money for Airfix. I’m in for at least three; four if they provide parts for the tanker version.

• Like 2