New Tool Airfix Vulcan 1/72 - Black Buck rebox announced

Adam Poultney

2 minutes ago, Hardtarget said:

Ok is it 1/48th or 72nd?

It could be whatever you want it to be. Fake news are really common these days...

But I do personally hope that it is a 1/72 Vulcan! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

I do hope that no one is fired. Whoever did this deserves a medal not the loss of their job for a mistake

I suspect -if it is indeed real and not a hoax- that it is an honest mistake and the person who did so is feeling pretty bad about it. They will likely be on the wrong end of a little chat with their line manager at the very least, so perhaps we can balance the fanboy glee with the thought that somebody is probably having a very bad evening thinking about tomorrow when they arrive for work.

If, on the other hand, it is a hoax, then they certainly do deserve a medal, and I would be first in the queue to pin it on their tail (633 Squadron fans will understand the reference).

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I did think it weird that there was suddenly an increase of the original Vulcan release boxing on EBay recently.   Coincidence? I think most saw this coming.

For the last 15 years I've been building an Airfix Vulcan, Matchbox Victor and Flightpath bits as a Black Buck air refuelling pair, still the purpose made clear perspex stand will come in handy!

The one thing that I really hope for is that it's the A team on this project, with the same finesse of their Victor.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hardtarget said:

Ok is it 1/48th or 72nd?

Supposedly 1/72 if I read it right but .....

if it’s a really BIG announcement then 1/24th

methinks you’d need a garage for it then

• Like 1

Family business getting in the way and my dad is getting a hip replacement on Monday so that's errr going to be vaguely hectic

I will keep him in my thoughts for you. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

I remain sceptical.  There's a lot of fake news about. And, especially because the original kit is available again to pre order.

I don't believe Airfix would keep pushing the original kit if there was a new one waiting in the wings.

More likely they would withdraw it. Sorry but, I think it's a hoax. I will believe it when I see the pictures of the brand new kit in front of me

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, spfparker said:

so what do we reckon the price is gone be ....£59.95......or more?

If it is and, assuming this is not a hoax, then I will pass on it. A price  of £60/£60+ is completely unaffordable.

I won't be getting rid of the kits I already have any time soon

Allan

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Albeback52 said:

I remain sceptical.  There's a lot of fake news about. And, especially because the original kit is available again to pre order.

I don't believe Airfix would keep pushing the original kit if there was a new one waiting in the wings.

More likely they would withdraw it. Sorry but, I think it's a hoax. I will believe it when I see the pictures in front of me

Allan

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/avro-vulcan-b-mk2-xh558-vulcan-to-the-sky-gift-set-1-72.html

Pre-Order

£38.99

Item Code: A50097

Expected: Winter 2019-2020

a50097-front.jpg

V.P.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichG said:

Hopefully both - oh and a bomb bay... and a 21 x 1000lb bomb load... and a Blue Steel..

I know some folk will probably harp on about this, however time is now ripe to also announce a V Bomber resupply set with Blue Steel carrier. I doubt we will get 21 or (even 35 bombs) for the Victor, however a set of eight or so would do the trick. Throw in a Thor ICBM and Bloodhound and you've got yourself a lovely set (or two). 

Great scoop to find this announcement, although it does take a small amount of gloss away from the official unveiling. If the Hellcat sold well, this Vulcan will certainly bring home the bacon for those hard working guys and gals at Hornby co. Well done all 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Homebee said:

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/avro-vulcan-b-mk2-xh558-vulcan-to-the-sky-gift-set-1-72.html

Pre-Order

£38.99

V.P.

That's a nice picture of the original kit is it not?

12 hours ago, Homebee said:

Pre-Order

£38.99

V.P.

I suspect people who preordered this might get a new kit, or it's the last of the old stock

2 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I suspect people who preordered this might get a new kit, or it's the last of the old stock

It's old stock surel. £39? No way that's a brand new Vulcan.

Allan

31 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Great scoop to find this announcement, although it does take a small amount of gloss away from the official unveiling. If the Hellcat sold well, this Vulcan will certainly bring home the bacon for those hard working guys and gals at Hornby co. Well done all 

I was also a little disappointed at the leak initially for taking away some of the excitement of a grand unveiling but now I think about it after previous kinda anti-climax announcements or an instant buzz effect I am relieved and with even more heightened interest to see details of the release on Saturday - so if it was someone's mistake, I think its OK and no big harm done. Interesting that some are still in denial and its now a case of is it true or hoax.. Well I'm a Believer! :guitar:

(of course if it's not true.... :raincloud: sell the stash and give up the hobby; plus serious egg on face)

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

For all pre-orders, I would hope Airfix asks each customer if they would still like to go ahead with the old tool purchase - if this was actually ever going to happen? I dare say, quite a number would rather move it across to the new tool pre order page anyway. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

I'm guessing all my Wolfpack resin bits and Flightpath photo-etch for the old Vulcan won't fit the new one all that easily, if they're even needed at all. I guess I should try to build one of the old ones and load it up with detail parts before the new kit becomes available.

Edited by VMA131Marine

32 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

More likely they would withdraw it. Sorry but, I think it's a hoax. I will believe it when I see the pictures of the brand new kit in front of me

Allan

M thoughts exactly, however Airfix did let slip that a Spitfire Mk XIV was in development  sometime before they made an official announcement if I remember correctly

I will wait and see what transpires on saturday

If a Vulcan is the big announcement then its a big disappointment for me 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

I did think it weird that there was suddenly an increase of the original Vulcan release boxing on EBay recently.   Coincidence? I think most saw this coming.

Complete coincidence I'd say. People hav been "predicting" a new Vulcan as the big announcement for years now.

If I had it my way I would have a pure bomber released first with 4 schemes, antiflash with full shade roundels and then pale rounels, camo over grey and wrap around. 

Then a Blue Steel box with an antiflash and camo over white scheme

The K2 and Black Buck with Shrike Missiles

That's how I ended up with 5 of the old ones, see how many I can afford of the new ones.  Models of 558 may not be top of the list with all modellers but the sales appeal to people that remember seeing her fly at airshows might be the factor that tips the decision on which variant they made.

5 minutes ago, Simon V said:

Complete coincidence I'd say. People hav been "predicting" a new Vulcan as the big announcement for years now.

Bit like my mother in law. Every year since I have known her she says about October that the coming winter will be the worst ever. One year she’s going to be right too :D

• Haha 2