Spitfires Anonymous --- Airfix x3, Eduard x1 (so far)

13 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Also, does anyone know if there were any clipped wing Mkii Spitfires or MkVa spitfires without cannons?

A Va by definition does not have cannons....

As Graham says, no. 

best I can do is this

496th_Fighter_Training_Group_-_Spitfire_

It's a Vb, but used for training

see here

@72modeler  then linked this, which I'd forgotten about

http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?4202

has another shot of C7-M

SupermarineSpitfire-MkV-W3815.jpg

how about a war weary Vb is NMF? Certainly different!   Lots of great USAAF Spitfires in the link BTW

SpitfireFMKVbAR404.jpg

may as well add this in as well

British%20aircraft%20USAAF%20service%202

scanned here

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/21-British-Aircraft-in-USAAF

Note in the link the posting of the short documentary on Spitfire 944, which you may not have seen @Adam Poultney  and is well worth  a watch

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

bab327b500b72fb32e3cc18ade318e69.jpg

This is the scheme I've chosen for the Eduard kit. I don't have a grey over blue Spitfire and I would really rather not mask yet more camouflage seeing as I have another two Airfix ones to do in camouflage. 

Although I must at some point build one in a desert camouflage scheme....

For the as of yet unstarted Mkia, I am thinking of adding an aftermarket resin engine. 

This is the one I might add

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMK7226

CMK7226.jpg?t=

If anyone has used this, I'd like to see any builds. Or in fact any other Spitfire engine in 1/72.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

how about a war weary Vb is NMF? Certainly different!   Lots of great USAAF Spitfires in the link BTW

SpitfireFMKVbAR404.jpg

Interesting. I might look into these ones if I decide to do an American Spitfire. I just like the idea of a clipped wing Spitfire without cannons. That silver one is particularly nice and I rather like the look of tired and weathered aircraft. 

Edited by Adam Poultney

11 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

That silver one is particularly nice and I rather like the look of tired and weathered aircraft. 

it's weary, but not very weathered.... it's had all the paint stripped!  The others are weathered!

One point, you might want to use the edit button to edit all the repeated content in your reply, as it clutters up your thread. 

cheers

T

2 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

it's weary, but not very weathered.... it's had all the paint stripped!  The others are weathered!

One point, you might want to use the edit button to edit all the repeated content in your reply, as it clutters up your thread. 

cheers

T

Ah thought I removed the top half of the quote as well as the bottom. Edited.

Any idea when the photo was taken?

I've only done a few bare metal models so that could be fun. Maybe I could try out foil wrapping..... 

29 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Any idea when the photo was taken?

the origin was this

http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?4202

scroll down

photo caption

Below - Spitfire Vb's war weary probably used as hacks of 7th Photographic Reconnaissance Group at Mount Farm.

HTH

• Like 1

I was innocently enjoying your Spitfire-itis, Adam-- "sigh, Airfix have made so many fun kits of subjects that are unfortunately beyond the scope of my USAAF collection, I'll just have look-see and enjoy vicariously."

Then Troy shows up and throws a bucket of 100-octane on my "Spits-in-Yank-service" fire. 

(Jackson wanders distractedly over to Hannant's website)  

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

I was innocently enjoying your Spitfire-itis, Adam-- "sigh, Airfix have made so many fun kits of subjects that are unfortunately beyond the scope of my USAAF collection, I'll just have look-see and enjoy vicariously."

Then Troy shows up and throws a bucket of 100-octane on my "Spits-in-Yank-service" fire. 

(Jackson wanders distractedly over to Hannant's website)  

Well looks like you need some Spitfires. One can never have enough Spitfires. 

34 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Well looks like you need some Spitfires. One can never have enough Spitfires. 

I've been having a tidy-up around the modeltorium today, and between consolidating the boxes of random etch, resin, and vac, and imposing some semblance of order upon the jumbled piles of kit boxes, and mothballing the half-finished fleet, I think we may just have room for a Spitfire kit or 12! (the Airfix boxes are about 1/6th the volume of the Eduard)

I found a fully-assembled AZ Mk.V airframe with an unfortunately FUBARed canopy firmly welded down, maybe I can Dremel it off and rig a replacement?  🤨

5 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

bab327b500b72fb32e3cc18ade318e69.jpg

This is the scheme I've chosen for the Eduard kit. I don't have a grey over blue Spitfire and I would really rather not mask yet more camouflage seeing as I have another two Airfix ones to do in camouflage. 

Although I must at some point build one in a desert camouflage scheme....

For the as of yet unstarted Mkia, I am thinking of adding an aftermarket resin engine. 

This is the one I might add

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMK7226

CMK7226.jpg?t=

If anyone has used this, I'd like to see any builds. Or in fact any other Spitfire engine in 1/72.

I definitely think you should add the engine, mainly for my own selfish gain of seeing how it goes together so then I can get one

Rob

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I definitely think you should add the engine, mainly for my own selfish gain of seeing how it goes together so then I can get one

Rob

Hmmm maybe I'll have to then 😂

3 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

I've been having a tidy-up around the modeltorium today, and between consolidating the boxes of random etch, resin, and vac, and imposing some semblance of order upon the jumbled piles of kit boxes, and mothballing the half-finished fleet, I think we may just have room for a Spitfire kit or 12! (the Airfix boxes are about 1/6th the volume of the Eduard)

The airfix kit is great for a small addition to the stash, I recommend you buy 12 as they're addictive to build.

Anyway, updates!

Eduard kit:

69aaf4d8539318d7fca1998d2cdfd571.jpg

This side of the fuselage is built up

76007884f5188e41950aa059fbcf0e6c.jpg

Profipacks include mask sets which is quite nice, this part fell off the sprue so why not do some of the slightly less tedious masking...

85df9c52e4d8ee91b5c8f3320e5d9e30.jpg

One moment there was etch, the next it was gone.... Then I found it again. I should have no problem repainting the pre painted part later on this one. 

43d33d1366391df9497057958f3a8fa6.jpg

The etch instrument panel went together with some reluctance to do so. Photoetch is nice but I hate using it sometimes 😂

Airfix Mki (two bladed):

e8fd11d3235ee1e71bee801b32af35ca.jpg

Instrument panel decal on. Slicing of the very top that is supposed to go around the gun sight (painted silver since it's not moulded in clear plastic, but can't complain at the price and scale of the kit) allows me to slide the decal on nicely

30870b290247ea61d48bca06e0be55bc.jpg

Fuselage together, wings on, rudder slightly offset. 

Airfix MkVa

0b0cb050034ae18356cd60c41dac1c38.jpg

Gloss coat in the relevant places for decals that I might do tonight. 

ee96de20cb45ec704271e3d90a4842fc.jpg

So here's the production line as it stands. MkVa ready for decals, Mki mostly together, HF MkVIII in lots of sub assemblies.

31f9542ee261884b3c9006b04776c84c.jpg

Nope.......

Don't need to start another......

Just nope....

• Like 2

So here's some slow progress now this week. I'll be doing little or more likely no modelling this weekend as we have people staying all the way from Malaysia (and I'm sleeping downstairs on the sofa but hey it's comfortable at least!)

35beb8b0ad1ffea22511ed55a6eb8147.jpg

As always for Spitfires, the upper wing roundels are a pain to get on nicely. 

I think the odd reaction of the primer had ended up with a slight texture that the decals don't take well to.

c9969d9f10871e4dd9f04023a5aed6c1.jpg

Not going to be using tail band decals again! Knew it was a bad idea. Thankfully Vallejo's colour is an exact match to the decals.

c00e8eb24f28bfa6b0ed9a2701fcde74.jpg

A few more decals on today.

I'm really liking this scheme.

• Like 3

On 11/16/2019 at 11:01 PM, Adam Poultney said:

31f9542ee261884b3c9006b04776c84c.jpg

Nope.......

Don't need to start another......

Just nope....

Maybe hold off on this one for a bit, it has some peculiarities known around these parts of the intarwebs..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alt-92 said:

Maybe hold off on this one for a bit, it has some peculiarities known around these parts of the intarwebs..

Hmmmmm ok? Like what?
The only thing I heard was the casting can be poor (mine looks fine) and the dimensions of some parts are about a millimetre out or so from drawings. 

Mostly some fit issues around the wing roots, and the head covers on the cowling. 
Nothing that isn't fixable, but better to be aware up front than frustrated later on 😉

Well my plans for pretty much any modelling this week are gone. 
I had a pretty nasty cold, and as soon as that was on its way out I get a horrible rash, an allergic reaction to an unknown substance. A few visits to a and e later and I've spent all week so far doing basically nothing.... 
And I really just want to get on with these Spitfires!!

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

fbdb64e8008405578213ee21d20f2827.jpg

dcce0d38982dd60ac489c7b6aa26723f.jpg

So I've been pretty busy lately, I've got a job now so more models incoming! I'm after an Airfix Spitfire 22 in 1/72 now, but I'm having no luck tracking one down. 

Anyway, big I'm dumb moment.... Why have I never bothered putting a white basecoat under the yellow tips of propeller blades until now. Until now I've just masked and airbrushed a few layers of yellow. Much easier to do them by brush like this.

I've also put some primer down on the Eduard kit. No photos, I'll take some once the cockpit is finished.

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

c2bd38f321326a93c77447c0a1128b6b.jpg

Finally picking more of this up again. Got all the major decals on, I often don't bother with stencils in this scale, tbh it's not always worth it. I then vanished the model and added a wash (citadel nuln oil with gloss varnish mixed in).

Bit of quick weathering and this model is finished. Something just looks off with this model and I can't quite place it. Not a favourite but I don't know why

5094bfbd2c56fbf5ae59274a746c2efd.jpg

a5bb584c2791ddc3204517603a0b9faf.jpg

866dd811ffc31f36f2be291c3555e98a.jpg

And the underside which I'm actually pretty happy with (one clear part I forgot that I need to put on though!)

e4a2850f6e4a3b1f5aefc92e59a1c51f.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...