Stackton Tressel Aerodrome

John Aero

My long term 1/48 scale Flying club and aerodrome diorama is finished and it will be on show at Telford. It is hoped that it will form the basis of a new SIG devoted to Vintage Light Aircraft (in 1/48), I started it during my convalescence as an exhibition base for my own models and those of like minded friends.

For the inaugural 'Fly in' I already have acceptances from as far apart as Glasgow, Perth shire and Yorkshire.  It will be adjacent to the demonstration and Bomber Command SIG area.

John

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I presume that the aerodrome baseboard has a hinged extension which is supported on a suitable bracket?

Very nice to hear of some attention being paid to a much-neglected area of aviation!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Very nostalgic. I d love to go back in time to visit an Aerodrome like that. 

Having said that there is a grass strip near here, Craughwell airfield complete with hangar and clubhouse and some unusual light aircraft. It is like going back in time. 

• Like 1

Stackton Tressel was very well received at Telford and an incredible number of people took photos of it. families particularly found things to interest them (such as the rabbits near the hedges).  At one point we had close on 20 aircraft "fly in" and park up for a while, including a few anachronisms such as a beautifully made Morane Rally, a Howard Ike and a DH.4R. Thanks to Kiwi Chappers, and Lazy 8.  Both of this parish (forum).

Much support was given by Alan Simpson of Glasgow and Gordon Short of darkest Perth shire who besides minding the shop at times also provided a good number of suitable subjects for the fly in. Everything made it back safely with the exception of the Rapide which had a crash landing and will be permanently in the hangar for some time.

John

The subtleties of the grass are much better in real life than on photos and the Gipsy engine recording on my laptop just vanished in the general hubbub of the packed halls. The steam roller is for the mole hills.

All the panels Hinge in the middle and underneath they have special Brackets which clip onto a tubular Tressel.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12

Don't worry, Clare can provide the Sherry, it's occasionally part of the Sunday cooking ritual, but it doesn't seem to appear in the food. 😯 I'm only just catching up on the dear ladies as I never saw the the TV series being as I was often away with No 1(F) Squadron. However the name came from out of the blue and seemed appropriate for the project. 

Doing a little research, I find the Dame Hilda Bracket drove an open Rolls tourer and coincidentally  there is a Rolls Royce Doctors Coupe in the car park, (which I've converted from a Matchbox Yesteryear, Rolls Fire Engine.). The 'Copper' at the gate was originally the RAF ground crew from the Tamiya Lancaster, indicating "Start Number two".

John

• Like 1

I meant to drop my new fangled Blenheim in for a quick visit to show off the new technology that will be all the rage.  Sadly it  got hijacked by the Bomber Command SIG wallahs doncha know.

Brilliant idea  and  the name brought back so many memories. They were quite rude  in a 'Carry on' film double entrendre way. 

• Like 1

John,

A beautiful  diarama, you succeeded in catching the old thirties times. And all in 1/48. 👍👍

I love those old planes. 

I'll dig out my old Rapide to show it here next time.

Thanks,

JohnHaa

• Like 1