De Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver Airfix 1/72

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

Don't hang about man...get building. :poke:

Stuart

The kit's in the garage (I hope!) and it's dark and freezing here - the weekend beckons ❄️

J

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've braved the icy wastes of the garage and returned with this:

Beaver1

There's no box because this particular kit never had one. More on that in a minute.

Surveying the parts reveals a couple missing, the windscreen and the cowling:

Beaver2

Neither of these is fatal. There are no instructions either but there are plenty of on-line builds for inspiration and guidance.

I've had this kit in deep storage for a long time. In the Autumn of 2005 I received an email from the then marketing Manager of Humbrol asking if I would build test shots of 3 kits that they were planning to re-release. I said of course, and a few days later I picked up a package from Falkirk post office. Inside was, if I remember correctly, a 1/48th scale Mosquito box and inside that was a bag with 2 examples each of the Ford Tri-Motor, the Heron and the Beaver, along with photocopies of the instructions. Only the Ford had any decals, and I used the supplied US Marines markings on the kit.

I finished the Heron as the Queen's Flight example that had been an option in early releases of the kit, using spares box decals. For the Beaver I happened to have a Modeldecal sheet with markings for a Dutch Air Force example, so I used those. 

The Heron was pretty rough, the Ford engine struts gave me a lot of trouble but the Beaver was lovely. This kit is the backup set of Beaver sprues. 

More soon.

John  

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it's an artefact of its semi-test-shot status or if this is a common thing on the production kit but each full-depth wingtip has a spectacular sink mark on the underside:

Beaver5

I've used Games Workshop Citadel Liquid Green Stuff, which is water based and can take a nice smooth finish.

John

• Like 5

John, 

I built this kit way back as part of the Classic Airfix GB and for its age it goes together quite well. I also used those Ronin decals and they are nice but extremely thin and will release and fold up from the backing paper in no time. I recommend you try a test decal first to see how they behave. I’m sure you are more than aware that these Aussie Beavers are quite different to the British Army AH.1 variant so best to check some good references to see what needs doing. I recommend the ADF Serials website and here are the Beaver pages..Click on each of the five aircraft to view more photos. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks to Paul J for digging out a set of instructions, cowling and a few other bits and pieces:

Beaver6

Having pinged a couple of the flap actuators into the carpet monster's maw, I decided to scratch them out of Microstrip:

Beaver7

John

• Like 5