OLD WARRIOR OF THE COLD WAR, CHIEFTAIN MK2 TAKOM 1/35

FrancisGL

On 18/01/2020 at 12:51, Alpha Juliet said:

Will be watching this post closely as I've got this kit, plus the mk 5 and mk 11 - none started as yet.  I'm debating whether or not to get the mk 10 as I'm not sure how different ut would  be to the m k11 - but then again... it would be nice to complete the set.

Hi Alpha J,

many thanks for your interest and kind comments, i'm glad you like it.
In my case, I bought this version because I wanted it to be as faithful as possible to the original design of the Chieftain, although I did not consider the final part of the cannon, with that piece above the mouth of the gun, so cool ...
But I have seen that there are two significantly different models, namely, the one with the turret with increased frontal armor, and the elongated side vision system, but excepting that, the differences between versions are very scarce ... so being some expensive kits, we must think if we want the whole set because yes, or as in my case, have a Chieftain and continue with other models ...
Cheers mate 👍

On 18/01/2020 at 15:06, mbthejester said:

As new member with a soft spot for the Chieftain, this is awesome thanks for sharing, as regards tank names, many years ago an old tankie told me - and other sources confirm the Cruiser designation stems from when tanks were first under development and came under RN command as Land Ships with Winston Churchill as First Lord of the Admiralty 1915, Tank comes from Water Tank, to keep the project secret. 
cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your interest and positive words, thank you for taking some time to take a look and comment.

The Water Tank thing if I had heard it before, although not the Admiralty thing, seems to make sense, ship themes, ship names ... "Cruiser" ...
Cheers Mark :thumbsup:

On 19/01/2020 at 11:56, Soeren said:

The sag is quite prominent. You have to compare the wheel hub in relation to the side skirt line. It is still tight with the tracks, but the wheels come down.

Hi Soeren,

both you and John are right, although the vehicle in the photo goes up a more pronounced gradient, and is more advanced than my model, by doing what you say, it looks like the rear wheels (on ground), are closer to the limit of the skirt.
In my case, I think it would be a little less pronounced, but it is a bug that is not easy to fix now, unless I put it "flat" ... and it's a shame, because, that's how I wanted to show it.
What really worried me was how the bogies in the air would be, and I lost the attention of those behind.
I think I will leave it as it is, because as I comment, it is very difficult to fix without causing "severe damage" to the model, and the slope is not as steep as in the photo, which will undoubtedly force the undercarriage more ...
Thank you both for the suggestion, I should have consulted before ...
Cheers mate. :thumbsup:

• Like 1