OLD WARRIOR OF THE COLD WAR, CHIEFTAIN MK2 TAKOM 1/35

FrancisGL

On 02/01/2020 at 11:07, Jasper dog said:

Hi Francis,  sure we've all got models that are perhaps not up to current standards but it's sometimes good to see your own progression, or not in some cases!😆

Being a little OCD I dont like leaving unfinished models, particularly expensive ones and its actually a really good kit. I'll keep playing with it alongside the Otter. I do find it difficult, in a good way, deciding what to build next. 🤔

Cheers

Darryl 

HI Darryl,

That happens to me, too many kits in the stash, making the choice difficult ...
I first see the difficulty of the kit (the tracks of course ... lol), and then one that really appeals to me (for that, I see models finished on the net).
Cheers Darryl 👍

On 03/01/2020 at 21:25, Roger Newsome said:

That's looking great Francis, I'm looking forward to seeing it on it's base. 👍🏼

Roger. 

Many thanks fot your interest nd kind comments, Well, we're already two, friend ... lol ;)

Cheers Roger 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE 09:

Hi Pals,

After this long period of time, I have been working on the base that commented on the previous update, nothing special, hence the lack of photos, just in case, I mention it again (The technique will be the same that I used for the StugIV vignette, that is, a "cat litter" base (clean and macerated ... lol), on a gauze (first aid kit), soaked in carpenter's tail (this It is new for me), which has made my job a lot easier, and once dry, turf packs (I have a good provision), and some bushes bought for occasions like this).

For another occasion, I will look for sand in sachets or jars, to simplify the process further.

You can see the final result of how it looked, once the frame was painted and the materials used were dried.

Next, pics on RTI section.

Thanks to all who followed the assembly and took some time to see and comment.

X7p8TYB.jpg

yD8KWGD.jpg

0O8kqvS.jpg

dA6Etdb.jpg

CfP5kBs.jpg

pn3szeR.jpg

OPDzqc5.jpg

WcWr5rN.jpg

Cheers to all 👍

• Like 11

The base is great. I first thought yu would have been cheeky and bought one of the ready made mattes. As I did *cough* for my Chieftain build.

By the way, why do all post war british tanks have a C as first letter? Centurion, Chieftain, Challenger?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Soeren said:

By the way, why do all post war british tanks have a C as first letter? Centurion, Chieftain, Challenger?

As did most British produced wartime ones. Covenanter, Churchill, Cromwell, Crusader, Comet etc.  I believe It originated from categorising tanks as cruiser and then became traditional.  

Great build Francis, and the base is the pièce de résistance. Love it, one of those I can keep going back to for another look.

Thanks for the tutorial on creating it too, makes it sound so easy!

What's next??

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 2

It looks really good Francis, but can I point out one thing. You would be better mounting it as though it were on a flat surface, as those two leading road wheels and the track would have dropped slightly as there would have been nothing underneath to support them.

John.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hamden said:

Very very nice a superb result, looking forward to the next project now!

Roger

Hi Roger,

Many thanks for your kind words, i'm glad you like it. Now the "difficult" decision to make ...:hmmm: with so much in the "stash" ... lol.

Cheers Roger. 👍

19 hours ago, Soeren said:

The base is great. I first thought yu would have been cheeky and bought one of the ready made mattes. As I did *cough* for my Chieftain build.

Many thanks for your kind comments, If I have not misunderstood, there are bases "cooked", ready to "serve and ready" ... lol ?.
Without a doubt that if there are any, I will use them, because for me it is very laborious and not very fun to do them, besides putting everything "upside down" ... lol.
I don't remember the base for your Chieftain, if the T55AM and the T54? ...

Sometimes, thinking of British tanks, remembering their name, I have noticed that they are similar (Crusader, Cruiser, etc.), but I had not really realized how accurate this info is.
Virtually all models, WW2, Post war, Cold War, and today, start with "C" ... very curious ... although I don't know why ...

Cheers Soeren. 👍

On 14/01/2020 at 23:15, Richard E said:

Fantastic job, a section of the Fulda Gap recreated in 1/35th scale: you can almost hear the sound of the engine working to haul fifty plus tons of wagon up the slope !

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for your kind words, I am glad that you like it, it seems that the real model abstracts what I have achieved, which makes me think that it was not bad ...
I guess when you have the photos (good, I hope ... lol :photo:) in the RTI section, it still looks better.
I am already doing tests, and I find it very difficult, despite the means I have, to get a "pure" black / white background ...
Cheers Richard 👍

On 15/01/2020 at 08:56, Jasper dog said:

As did most British produced wartime ones. Covenanter, Churchill, Cromwell, Crusader, Comet etc.  I believe It originated from categorising tanks as cruiser and then became traditional.  

Great build Francis, and the base is the pièce de résistance. Love it, one of those I can keep going back to for another look.

Thanks for the tutorial on creating it too, makes it sound so easy!

What's next??

Cheers

Darryl 

Hi Darryl,

I think the only exception to the "rule", is the Valentine, because the SPG and AT, if they had names with other letters, although curiously "A" and "B", (Archer and Bishop) ... those before the "C", lol.

Thank you very much for your kind comments and interest. Actually, the tutorial would have been better with photos, but, as I said before, it is not really fun for me, nor is it a "clean" process, because everything turns "upside down", and taking pictures, another nuisance.
It is relatively easy, now that I saw how they did it with the "gauze" of the medikit, you save a lot of "sand", because it quickly stays "fixed" on the cloth, porous and "sticky" of somewhat diluted carpenter's glue. Once dry, if it is more laborious to put the vegetation, but not difficult.

As another mate said before, I understood that there are "grounds" prepared for dioramas, which I will "investigate" for a next base if there is ...

Cheers Darryl 👍

Will be watching this post closely as I've got this kit, plus the mk 5 and mk 11 - none started as yet.  I'm debating whether or not to get the mk 10 as I'm not sure how different ut would  be to the m k11 - but then again... it would be nice to complete the set.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Darryl,

I think the only exception to the "rule", is the Valentine, because the SPG and AT, if they had names with other letters, although curiously "A" and "B", (Archer and Bishop) ... those before the "C", lol.

Hi Francis,

Not 100% on this but I would suggest, Archer and Achillies began with A as they belonged to the Royal Artillery as tank destroyers did. The Bishop because all Artillery SPGs were named after the clergy, Sexton, Priest, Bishop. Abbot.

And as for Valentine and Matilda....

As I say not 100% and I'm sure someone around here will know far better than I.

Cheers 

• Like 1

As new member with a soft spot for the Chieftain, this is awesome thanks for sharing, as regards tank names, many years ago an old tankie told me - and other sources confirm the Cruiser designation stems from when tanks were first under development and came under RN command as Land Ships with Winston Churchill as First Lord of the Admiralty 1915, Tank comes from Water Tank, to keep the project secret. 

cheers

Mark

Edited by mbthejester
  • Thanks 1

On 15/01/2020 at 10:22, Bullbasket said:

It looks really good Francis, but can I point out one thing. You would be better mounting it as though it were on a flat surface, as those two leading road wheels and the track would have dropped slightly as there would have been nothing underneath to support them.

John.

Hi John, many thanks for your kind words, and for your contribution with the model.

Very well seen, when I did it, I was thinking about that precisely, imagining how the front part of the tank would look, and I also remembered your "Centaur" ?, in the little vignette you made, and that was magnificent, with that game of super-cool "working" suspension ...
Therefore, I looked for some photos on the web, to be inspired / documented, and I found this, just what I needed ...
I attached it to see how I "approached". When I put the photos in the RTI, I planned to contribute a few of the real model that inspired me for the job.

GMJctFf.jpg

Cheers John and thanks for your interest. :thumbsup: