OLD WARRIOR OF THE COLD WAR, CHIEFTAIN MK2 TAKOM 1/35

FrancisGL

Brilliant work Francis,  your tempting me to dig a Chieftain out myself after seeing yours.

The paintwork and weathering look just right if memory serves me, the thermal jacket is fine however the clamps being slightly off colour wise as is the boot where the barrel meets the mantlet. Think more the colour of the adjacent paintwork, with just a slight difference in tone.

What did you use for the dust wash, look really good.

Great work, as ever!

Darryl

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Brilliant work Francis,  your tempting me to dig a Chieftain out myself after seeing yours.

The paintwork and weathering look just right if memory serves me, the thermal jacket is fine however the clamps being slightly off colour wise as is the boot where the barrel meets the mantlet. Think more the colour of the adjacent paintwork, with just a slight difference in tone.

What did you use for the dust wash, look really good.

Great work, as ever!

Darryl

Hi Darryl, mny thanks for your kind words and like, I understand that you want to do one of these, it is a tank "as they are no longer made" ... lol.
I take good note of the note on the painting you do to me, and leave it for later.
The dust consists of a wash of enamel, diluted (maybe I should have done more, but for fear that there is a "peeled" effect, now it took me more to remove the excess), than once dry, brush with a thick brush but not very hard.

Cheers Darryl 👍 :santa:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Looking amazing Francis, it’s coming together and looking really great, but one pointer is that the BCF fire extinguishers would be gloss bronze green rather than red matey . 👍

Hi Dan, You are more than kind, thank you very much for your interest.
I also take a good note of your info about fire extinguishers. I have been guided by the boxart, and I have looked for photos of the vehicle, and most of them are green, although I have seen one, in which it is in expo, and it is red ...:undecided:
It would have been nice if Takom had included decals for fire extinguishers ... they wouldn't have "ruined", and it would be more accurate ... lol.:fight:
Cheers Dan 👍

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

Hi Francis, you've done a great job on the Chieftain, cant be far off the RFI?

Already looking forward to your next project, do you have anything in mind?

Thanks for sharing. :goodjob:

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Francis, you've done a great job on the Chieftain, cant be far off the RFI?

Already looking forward to your next project, do you have anything in mind?

Thanks for sharing. :goodjob:

Cheers

Darryl 

Hi Darryl,

because in theory there is not much to do in the model to consider it RFI, it really is a very simple kit, with good fit, except for the tracks, which take time to get ready ...
Now it is a somewhat tedious part for me, because I have to do the details that were left behind, like the "glass" parts, and the touches here and there, that never seem to end ...
I have to correct the color of the gun, and the extinguishers (thanks to you, and Dads203 for the info), and then the "heavier" weathering, pigments and vegetation.
Maybe later, and as it turns out, I would love to make a basis for the model, simple (I do not give for more ... lol), but that enhances it.

Well, I don't know what to say, I have kits in the stash (AFVs 1/35, of course ... lol), but precisely because of that, I have a hard time deciding which one to start. There are some that I really want, but I weigh the problems posed / difficulty / price of the kit, and I still dare not with them ... lol

Cheers Darryl. 👍 :santa:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Well, I don't know what to say, I have kits in the stash (AFVs 1/35, of course ... lol), but precisely because of that, I have a hard time deciding which one to start. There are some that I really want, but I weigh the problems posed / difficulty / price of the kit, and I still dare not with them ... lol

Cheers Darryl. 👍 :santa:

I think my friend you've hit the nail on the head!

Because the "stash" grows at our wim it can be difficult deciding what to build next. The number of times I've decided I'm going to build one and then hesitated and stalled before going for something else..... And yes I am exactly the same, I'll look at, for example, a Dragon Tiger or sdkfz 234 and wonder if I have the ability to do something of that cost and complexity the justice it deserves....

Then again isn't this all part of the fun of our hobby?

That's why I'm tempted to dig out something fairly straight forward to keep the mojo going whilst working on the Otter.

Cheers🎅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I think my friend you've hit the nail on the head!

Because the "stash" grows at our wim it can be difficult deciding what to build next. The number of times I've decided I'm going to build one and then hesitated and stalled before going for something else..... And yes I am exactly the same, I'll look at, for example, a Dragon Tiger or sdkfz 234 and wonder if I have the ability to do something of that cost and complexity the justice it deserves....

Then again isn't this all part of the fun of our hobby?

That's why I'm tempted to dig out something fairly straight forward to keep the mojo going whilst working on the Otter.

Cheers🎅

Hi Darryl,

You also hit full ... lol, the Black Fryday and others, are very dangerous, because when you see those offers, and those Boxart so cool, it is a very suggestive combination ... and I have realized that choosing a specific model , of a specific brand, with its pros and cons, is very fun (at least for me ...)
I imagine that the two Jerrys you mention are from AFVclub ?, a brand with a difficult reputation (if I'm not mistaken), but if you know how to take advantage, they are superb models.
And once again, "Touché", in the end, both where to choose, and as a "cowardice", for something "simple" ..., reserving the best (difficult / expensive), for ... later .. .LOL.
Cheers Darryl. :santa:

UPDATE 07:

Hi Pals,

new advance with the model, and as I commented, I have repainted the cannon, which although I don't know if it will be
definitive, I like it more like it looks ...

There is a photo, which shows the size of the model approximately, next to the hull of a PzIV, which I have as "guinea
pig", and was close, and you can see the difference in substantial size ...

It has already received a layer of "dust" and "mud", in the lower parts and tracks, which I will have to outline, when
it is very dry.

I have painted some details, such as the engine exhaust pipe, and I have also added some jerrys to the turret basket,
as I saw it too large / empty, which are from a Bronco set for the British army ...

Finally, the teeth of the tracks have received a "metallic" touch.

Continuing with weathering soon ...

Cheers to all...:santa:

mZm64Ww.jpg

uxr0Kxv.jpg

huJzn9M.jpg

quzr0TY.jpg

havaJje.jpg

hXfGa2S.jpg

JSJOqC5.jpg

QTVy1lz.jpg

jbgs9mq.jpg

8rU6otM.jpg

RsogZGX.jpg

lvjZKsE.jpg

6ZUe9Vu.jpg

Eb2NJgb.jpg

CkusDUi.jpg

jEMTFRW.jpg

QsjPQjw.jpg

9qOOb59.jpg

4ItNNfH.jpg

PsffJR2.jpg

9PAxex4.jpg

tZXOSVd.jpg

7opJeAu.jpg

8jG9XbP.jpg

cC9RSda.jpg

Emog7SE.jpg

Q2Nacnj.jpg

• Like 12

Good morning Francis,  some great work going on here mate. The general weathering and particularly the mud looks excellent.

Think you've done the Chieftain proud.

Best wishes for Christmas and the new year.🎅 🍻

Darryl

• Thanks 1

On 21/12/2019 at 11:04, PZRGREN said:

Great looking build!  Can I ask what you used for the mud accumulation on the side skirts and front?

Roger.

Hi Roger, 

many thanks for your kind words and like, i'm gld you like it,

Of course, it does not have much mystery, they are only pigments with pigment fixative, and some Mig mud, applied with an "old" brush ...

Cheers Roger 🎅

• Like 1

On 22/12/2019 at 09:03, Bullbasket said:

That turned out really well Francis. The weathering is excellent.

John.

Many thanks for your kind comments, I still have to continue with the process, especially with the lower part of the hull ...

Cheers John :santa:

• Like 1

On 23/12/2019 at 07:55, Jasper dog said:

Good morning Francis,  some great work going on here mate. The general weathering and particularly the mud looks excellent.

Think you've done the Chieftain proud.

Best wishes for Christmas and the new year.🎅 🍻

Darryl

Many thankds for yur kind words, i'm glad you like it, I hope not to overdo it with weathering, but ... I can't resist ... lol

Cheers and I wish you the same for you and yours. :santa:

UPDATE 08:

Hi Pals,

Perhaps the last advance with the kit before saying that it is already finished.

Now it is the turn for some vegetation and loose leaves added on the sides, wheels and top.

When they are well fixed, a gentle brushing / "blowing", to remove those that did not remain so, and the excess pigments.

Continuing with the lower part of the hull, which has undergone a treatment of pigments and mud, in all its extension.

I have also touched up the "rain marks" in the whole model, and changed color, the thermal sleeve of the cannon, as well as the canvas that joins it to the turret, in addition to the extinguishers, as the mates JasperDog and

Dads203.

Finally, it occurred to me to make a small detail that I liked very much when seeing original models. These are the leftover straps of the thermal sleeve of the barrel.

I tried to do it, cutting strips as thin as possible of aluminum foil, and after many failed attempts, I took advantage of the most correct bits, sticking them with CA glue.

IMHO, the effect, once painted, is very cool ...

I will also make a base, nothing special, for the model, a mix of the boxart, and a couple of photos of a real one.

The technique will be the same that I used for the StugIV vignette, that is, a "cat litter" base (clean and macerated ... lol), on a gauze (first aid kit), soaked in carpenter's tail (this It is new), which has made my job a lot easier, and once dry, turf packs (I have a good provision), and some bushes bought for occasions like this.

Cheers to all and HNY.:xmasparty:

GECVOqT.jpg

U1cXp7e.jpg

w74aSu0.jpg

jT9dDYh.jpg

na5QIZ9.jpg

Cw6AS6u.jpg

W2OLkXG.jpg

H6Aapdy.jpg

aCXxsZE.jpg

GXeRewg.jpg

PU0rgq3.jpg

VQf3iXi.jpg

18Nxe8m.jpg

At3sEJ6.jpg

JzmRalt.jpg

y5GqvKG.jpg

fGsuXmA.jpg

GV0KllW.jpg

ru0mmdj.jpg

ByzTHkP.jpg

YeykPcN.jpg

va9s4r3.jpg

QIcjdmk.jpg

32wiGvy.jpg

ZeKpblh.jpg

JSa6JV3.jpg

06CE3AI.jpg

6smzXKC.jpg

Os3eGdB.jpg

o5FCu6M.jpg

RbOkaEz.jpg

YqZQ4RB.jpg

CUl33UC.jpg

1FPOpn0.jpg

KaDyHu4.jpg

2BsTC6l.jpg

k5H9tHG.jpg

rW41jro.jpg

xWu9HTJ.jpg

0t8wM12.jpg

1khiJH1.jpg

COfiaWe.jpg

UjE3d04.jpg

GpkkOb7.jpg

blVNbV0.jpg

Tzy09QO.jpg

HU1cx2r.jpg

E3MI3Wy.jpg

wsVC6td.jpg

mrH2jyS.jpg

Finish soon!! (i hope...lol:xmasparty:

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 7

I do like your Chieftain Francis, great work.

Excellant build, paintwork and weathering, from an aesthetic point of view it suits not having the sideskirts on (imho). The thermal jacket looks really good too and if you dont  mind me saying, better for the repaint.

Looking forward to seeing it on one of your bases.

Inspirational mate, tempted to rebox the Jagdpanther and do something similar...:hmmm:

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Darryl

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I do like your Chieftain Francis, great work.

Excellant build, paintwork and weathering, from an aesthetic point of view it suits not having the sideskirts on (imho). The thermal jacket looks really good too and if you dont  mind me saying, better for the repaint.

Looking forward to seeing it on one of your bases.

Inspirational mate, tempted to rebox the Jagdpanther and do something similar...:hmmm:

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Darryl

Hi Darryl,

Many thanks for your interest and kind words, I'm glad you like it. I also like the thermal sleeve of the cannon, and for me, it is an emblematic part of the Chieftain.
I don't know if it looks good in some photos, but the detail of the straps, I liked it, I didn't think it could look like this ...

When it is "officially" finished, and on a base, I will attach some of the photos that have inspired me to do the job, and you can compare how much I have approached the real model (dirt, side skirts, saggy tracks, etc ... )

From what I've seen in the thread, you're still in time to rethink your JP. As I said, I did Tamiya's, and I wasn't very convinced. If you want, I send you a photo of the model finished by PM (it is no longer between us ... lol), and I feel a little embarrassed to show it ... so you can see how not to do things ... lol 🙄

Cheers and HNY Darryl. :xmasparty:

• Like 1

Hi Francis,  sure we've all got models that are perhaps not up to current standards but it's sometimes good to see your own progression, or not in some cases!😆

Being a little OCD I dont like leaving unfinished models, particularly expensive ones and its actually a really good kit. I'll keep playing with it alongside the Otter. I do find it difficult, in a good way, deciding what to build next. 🤔

Cheers

Darryl 

• Haha 1