OLD WARRIOR OF THE COLD WAR, CHIEFTAIN MK2 TAKOM 1/35

FrancisGL

On 01/12/2019 at 09:28, Bullbasket said:

You can't beat a good Chieftain. It's coming along nicely Francis.

John.

Many thanks for your support and interest, I always liked this model a lot, I hope to do my best with it ...

Cheers John 👍

On 14/11/2019 at 13:01, FrancisGL said:

UPDATE 01:

Hi Pals,

Some progress with the kit, starting with the undercarriage. I have seen that in the part that simulates rubber, there
is a small review, which at first I did not see, because it was tiny. A nice touch, but that surely won't be seen when
we are weathered.

I did not like too much, the union of the bogies to the hull, very inconsistent, and therefore, easy that the entire
set is not aligned.

I had to wait to be sure that I was well held, because I have dropped some.

Adjustment of the supports of the side skirts also, and finally an approach to the tracks, which combine the toothed
supports, with a hole in which the rubber shoe is inserted, IMHO work, unnecessary, because they could come perfectly
in one piece .

When I have done some already, I have seen that they are numbered, very cool, but I do not see the real utility,
because they are all the same and knowing the number per track ...

I will continue with the tracks, which surely give me a lot of "fun" ... lol

Sooner (I hope) ...

Cheers to all. 👍

oQ9Gbxa.jpg

zQrNsBM.jpg

I was looking forward to this progressing Francis  Those tracks look more user friendly than what I've been dealing with.  Excellent build.

• Like 2

On 01/12/2019 at 10:06, Jasper dog said:

Looking really well so far Francis, great work. 

Quite right they are a handsome tank, if you can use that word to describe a 60ton tank!

Looking forward to seeing it painted and weathered, not to heavily mind you.

Cheers

Darryl 

Hi Darryl, 

many thanks for your interest and kinf words, You're right, but tanks like those before were no longer made ... lol ;)

Cheers Darryl 👍

It's looking really nice so far Francis. The Chiftains are some of Takom's best kits.

On 24/11/2019 at 09:47, Jasper dog said:

The problem I'd have doing one myself is, I'd want to paint the tracks and tank separately. I suppose it might be possible to remove them one formed around the wheels to allow for painting and then reattach? 

When I built the Mk.5, I left the upper run off and split the remaining tracks into front and rear sections. They were painted separately and clipped into place at the end. Made painting and weathering the lower hull much easier.

Takom+Chieftain+build+Mk.5+P+2in1+-+pic+

Andy:cat:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Andy Moore said:

It's looking really nice so far Francis. The Chiftains are some of Takom's best kits.

When I built the Mk.5, I left the upper run off and split the remaining tracks into front and rear sections. They were painted separately and clipped into place at the end. Made painting and weathering the lower hull much easier.

Takom+Chieftain+build+Mk.5+P+2in1+-+pic+

Looks to be a great way of painting.  What type of tracks are these, I've seen some that seem to be flexible once fitted together, at least that is how they look in pics?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

What type of tracks are these, I've seen some that seem to be flexible once fitted together, at least that is how they look in pics?

They're the same ones that Francis is using in this build. Just standard styrene individual links. Glue them together, wrap them around the wheels and leave to set.

There are a few companies that make working styrene tracks. Meng's Leopard and Abrams kits have workable tracks which can be a little fiddly to build but look great on the finished model.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Andy Moore said:

They're the same ones that Francis is using in this build. Just standard styrene individual links. Glue them together, wrap them around the wheels and leave to set.

There are a few companies that make working styrene tracks. Meng's Leopard and Abrams kits have workable tracks which can be a little fiddly to build but look great on the finished model.

Right ok thanks.  Good luck with the build, looking forward to this one progressing.

• Thanks 1

Following this build with great interest. I built the Tamiya kit a few years ago, and it went together a dream, considering it was released in the 70's. It's interesting to compare the two kits, and there's not a lot different between the two kits, although the Takom kit appears to have more detail, which you would expect from a new model. Tamiya call their kit a Mk. 5, but I think it's really a Mk. 2, which is what I called mine, and it does look an awful lot like yours.  I look forward to seeing the finished model of one of my favourite Cold War tanks.  :cheers:

• Thanks 1

On 04/12/2019 at 13:12, Andy350 said:

I was looking forward to this progressing Francis  Those tracks look more user friendly than what I've been dealing with.  Excellent build.

Hi Andy,

I think so, just because of the simple fact that the links are bigger, and therefore easier to manipulate.
As I said before, the rubber shoe could have been easily included originally, and the work would have been shorter ...

Cheers Andy :cheers:

• Like 1

On 04/12/2019 at 16:54, Silenoz said:

Nice work on this beauty. Looking really nice and it doesn't have any paint yet...

Many thanks for your interest and kind words, you're right, is You're right, it's a design with an elegant look ...

Cheers Silenoz 👍

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Andy Moore said:

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your interest and kind (and wise) words, I would have been very good to have seen this before ...:fight: :D, although I imagine that logic did the job, more or less I instinctively followed the same process, first below, and then the rest above.

I hope mine is at least half as good as the gorgueous of yours

Cheers Andy👍

Edited by FrancisGL

22 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Following this build with great interest. I built the Tamiya kit a few years ago, and it went together a dream, considering it was released in the 70's. It's interesting to compare the two kits, and there's not a lot different between the two kits, although the Takom kit appears to have more detail, which you would expect from a new model. Tamiya call their kit a Mk. 5, but I think it's really a Mk. 2, which is what I called mine, and it does look an awful lot like yours.  I look forward to seeing the finished model of one of my favourite Cold War tanks.  :cheers:

Hi Starfighter,

Many thanks for your interest, I imagine that the new kit will be more accurate in terms of small details, but Tamiya's, although an oldie, I think maintains the quality level to do a good job. I do not know if it is a motorized version, so the lower part of the hull will have holes and will not be very detailed ...
Cheers mate :cheers:

MINI-UPDATE 04:

Hi Pals;

Today, it already has the primer layer, light gray, and then a dash of black in certain parts to try to accentuate them.

Probably, later, this will not look too much, because in addition the painting will be a two-color camo ...

As it turns out, in next kits, I will try another method, post-shading ...

Cheers to all.:cheers:

TAQtkmP.jpg

6pE4Ejk.jpg

EQAba0W.jpg

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Starfighter,

Many thanks for your interest, I imagine that the new kit will be more accurate in terms of small details, but Tamiya's, although an oldie, I think maintains the quality level to do a good job. I do not know if it is a motorized version, so the lower part of the hull will have holes and will not be very detailed ...
Cheers mate :cheers:

Hi Francis,

If I remember the Tamiya kit was originally motorised. so it did have holes in the bottom of the hull, which I blanked off, and as you say, it was a nice kit to build. Just finished my Trumpeter 1/16 Panther, which is a big beast, and if I can work out how to post pictures I will !  :cheers:

• Thanks 1

On 07/12/2019 at 15:23, Starfighter said:

Hi Francis,

If I remember the Tamiya kit was originally motorised. so it did have holes in the bottom of the hull, which I blanked off, and as you say, it was a nice kit to build. Just finished my Trumpeter 1/16 Panther, which is a big beast, and if I can work out how to post pictures I will !  :cheers:

Hi Starfighter, 

I would love to see your "Big-Panther" if you "find out" how to upload photos ... lol
In the forum there are topics in the Site & Help and Support section to show how it is done. You can also choose many free options, I use Imgur, and for now it is great ...

Cheers mate 👍

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Starfighter, 

I would love to see your "Big-Panther" if you "find out" how to upload photos ... lol
In the forum there are topics in the Site & Help and Support section to show how it is done. You can also choose many free options, I use Imgur, and for now it is great ...

Cheers mate 👍

Thanks for the info, Francis . . . I'll check out Imgur later  today or tomorrow.  :cheers:

• Haha 1