OLD WARRIOR OF THE COLD WAR, CHIEFTAIN MK2 TAKOM 1/35

FrancisGL

On 14/11/2019 at 21:02, flashlight said:

Hi Francis,

very good start, this seems to be a very good and highly detailed kit.

Have a nice day

Nick

Hi Nick,

many thanks for your kind words.

No doubt the Takom kits are a point of reference in the world of modeling (they will not be perfect, but there are many other worse brands ...).
For me, it is something new, my first Takom, because as I said before, my kits so far in my new stage, have been oldies, or low-end (cheap), so, a bittersweet sensation, fun to do some quality, and concern about ruining a quality kit.

Cheers Nick 👍

On 15/11/2019 at 08:32, Jasper dog said:

Hi Francis,  good start, interested in how the tracks go together. I have a Takom Chieftain hiding in the stash somewhere but always been put off by the tracks, good to know they aren't to bad.

Thanks for sharing.

Darryl

Hi Darryl,
The truth is that "filling" the links with the "rubber shoes" is an "unnecessary" job, which adds a lot of time to the assembly, and easily tires and discourages to continue working for a long time on the model.
But the insertion is good, and with some skill, patience and patience ... lol, I think it will look pretty good. 
So far, the only problem I had, was with the wheel assemblies, which, as I said, do not have a sufficient "grip" with the hull, in my opinion, and can be detached or not well alienated ...:wall:
Cheers Darryl. 👍

23 hours ago, Soeren said:

The build is mouthwatering to say the least. Need to have a look out for BlackFriday/CyberMonday sails. The Mk5 decals make me wanna get that kit.

In fact, the quality is noticeable compared to other brands, cheaper and / or oldies, both in plastic, assembly and painting instructions.
I also have an idea of how this kit ends, get an Mk5, because I also love its turret, and especially a detail, which I missed in this, the piece that is on top of the barrel, "super- cool "...:hmmm:

Cheers Soeren 👍

UPDATE 02:

Hi Pals,

A new progress with the kit, this week almost all the work focused on ending the tracks (thankfully ...). There were no serious problems in general, with a mixture of liquid CA glue and a normal one, more or less, the work was ending.

I decided to make saggy with the tracks, because I could see some photo of the original model, without skirts, and I saw that it was possible ... and cool.

As the kit includes replacement links, there was no problem with that.

I tried to save the top of the tracks, which is hidden with the skirts, but I did the test to take the model, with the skirts on with masking tape, to see it from the bottom up, and you could see that in that part there was no track ...

I had no choice but to finish the whole track ... on both sides ...

While the glue was cured, I took the opportunity to make some of the hull, such as the back, with their respective pieces, the side and front boxes.

Everything has been fitting very well, its adjustment in some points is exact and a delight.

The work that remains does not seem to be very complicated, fortunately (for me ...) the PEs are very few and easy to work, so I think that everything "will go on wheels" ...

More in the next update, which as always, I hope it won't be delayed.

Cheers to all.:cheers:

sPcI6O0.jpg

cA3QKNr.jpg

iARY39H.jpg

nl6xP1k.jpg

LiX2TTI.jpg

I5HyMqv.jpg

SkVY7E1.jpg

G9Ll8D5.jpg

3KxlByC.jpg

• Like 4

Nice progress Francis. Did the Chiftain have sucha track sag? I would have thought there would be none. The eshaust pipes have some seems left because of the two part section. I remember it wasnt that easyto get rid of, but some MrSurfacer should help alot. Will try that next time. Ordered the Mk 5 from the recent Mig Jimenez Black week sail at 25% discount again.

• Thanks 1

Looking good so far Francis. Perhaps a little to much track sag however i doubt it'll matter behind the side skirts.

The problem I'd have doing one myself is, I'd want to paint the tracks and tank separately. I suppose it might be possible to remove them one formed around the wheels to allow for painting and then reattach? 

Good luck

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Soeren said:

Nice progress Francis. Did the Chiftain have sucha track sag? I would have thought there would be none. The eshaust pipes have some seems left because of the two part section. I remember it wasnt that easyto get rid of, but some MrSurfacer should help alot. Will try that next time. Ordered the Mk 5 from the recent Mig Jimenez Black week sail at 25% discount again.

Hi Soeren,

Many thanks for your interest. I found a photo online (and I can't "recover":hmmm:, in which the tank had the saggy tracks, and on that side, obviously, there was no fside skirt.
Now I think that it could be a disused vehicle, although there was no impact (when used as a shooting practice), nor extreme corrosion.
Anyway, the skirts will cover (at least one side), that.
I see you couldn't resist a good offer.
I would really like to see yours when you decide to start it.
Cheer Soeren 👍

On 24/11/2019 at 10:47, Jasper dog said:

Looking good so far Francis. Perhaps a little to much track sag however i doubt it'll matter behind the side skirts.

The problem I'd have doing one myself is, I'd want to paint the tracks and tank separately. I suppose it might be possible to remove them one formed around the wheels to allow for painting and then reattach? 

Good luck

Darryl 

Hi Darryl,

many thanks for your interest,.

As you say, it will not be seen, and the side that has less, it is possible that if it is uncovered.

If it is possible to do what you say, I have seen members in the forum, who do it, but I have never seen "how they do it"
I have seen that the new M47 Takom kits, if I am not mistaken, seem to bring an accessory to make the tracks "no problem", so it occurs to me, that maybe it can be "replicated" ... I regret not Be of more help.
Cheers Darryl. 👍

• Like 1

As mentioned before. Without the top section of the track it is wonderfully easy.

For doing tracks one piece I tried two approaches. Either have them fully closed paint off the tank. Leave the outer road wheels off. And add the track with inserted sprocket, idler after painting. The second approach is to leave one link split over the sprocket. Just put them on after painting. Pressing the tracks over the teeth helps for good gluing. I always found stretching and pulling them apart when connecting in other areas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sure it must be do-able one way or another, did once foolishly try priming and painting the individual links whilst still on the sprue..... wasn't a great idea!:doh:

Great work, looking forward to seeing this all come together. 

Darryl

• Thanks 1

On 23/11/2019 at 18:55, Dads203 said:

That’s shaping up really well Francis, looking forward to seeing you get paint on this one mate :goodjob:

Many thanks, you can believe that I also really want to see this one with a coat of paint on it, and well weathered ... fingers crossed ...:rolleyes:

Cheers Dan  👍

• Like 1

On 27/11/2019 at 11:08, phildagreek said:

Looking good Francis, no need to rush, remember that slow and steady wins the race.

Hi Phil,

It is a wise advice, unfortunately, my personal circumstances at this time, do not allow me to hurry,🐢 with days even that I do nothing in the model, but when I do, I take all the time in the world, until I see that I can no longer improve I have done so far.
Cheers Phil 👍

• Like 1

On 23/11/2019 at 19:17, Roger Newsome said:

Nice work so far Francis, those tracks are looking good. 👍🏼

Roger. 

Many thanks Roger, I'm glad your approval, It has been a little "experiment" about the saggy, I did not know if this model really had, but, I could not resist ... lol
Cheers Roger 👍

• Like 1

UPDATE 03:

Hi Pals,

Here, the progress of the week, which after the tracks, has been much faster and easier. All the components are
already where they should, including the PEs, which fortunately for me, are very few and easy to work with.

The piece of rubber for the cannon of the barrel is very cool, because it is very authentic. Also the transparent
periscopes, which I will have to mask.

I have seen that the kit did not include the electric cables of the headlights, so I made them with copper wire, even
I can do this scratch ... lol.

For the engine exhaust pipes, I have used, after filing, layers of liquid polystyrene with its applicator brush, so that it looks like a single piece, and it seems that it looks like this.

I also decided to put the front mirrors in the dejected position, if I'm not mistaken, quite usual on the other hand,
and also the brackets broke in the sprue, so they are also a bit of copper wire.

I have included a line of thread for the bobbin on the side of the turret, which I found more convincing in that way.

The result, IMHO, is a very pretty model with a relatively modern, but classic look, with its rounded shapes in
turret.

I'm looking forward to seeing it with some paint on it ...

More progress next week (I hope) ...
Cheers to all :cheers:

WTgmsW2.jpg

NKahpBp.jpg

LYH3ZVg.jpg

vGK1SUM.jpg

azX9cFO.jpg

QTublQn.jpg

2VrvrH9.jpg

s4XVqJD.jpg

ra6xZRP.jpg

5nWtHLY.jpg

ave5bPo.jpg

LIAA1Zj.jpg

7JRHuCd.jpg

fUQVJFo.jpg

UypSl9t.jpg

• Like 10

Looking really well so far Francis, great work. 

Quite right they are a handsome tank, if you can use that word to describe a 60ton tank!

Looking forward to seeing it painted and weathered, not to heavily mind you.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1