OLD WARRIOR OF THE COLD WAR, CHIEFTAIN MK2 TAKOM 1/35

FrancisGL

On this occasion, I will dedicate myself to a Chieftain. I always liked this model, the heaviest thing that the western block could offer against the Pact, but I have never been able to do it, now I am glad I did not do it, because before the only viable kit, it was Tamiya, already surpassed with the kits today.

It is my first Takom kit, and in which I have given way to more expensive models, because so far I have not overcome the € 50 barrier on any model.

I hope to treat it as it deserves

I have opted to choose the Mk2 version, which is the "closest" to the original Chieftain model, maybe later (depending on the result you get), get an Mk5, for example.

It is obvious that the quality of the kit is very high, accustomed to more basic kits, and with less clear instructions. Although like Tamiya's, none, IMHO, the best.

A great kit of a magnificent tank.

Cheers to all.

sOReCSC.jpg

YZK6MIM.jpg

olNPkyO.jpg

w5rGvy0.jpg

BZSyu6Z.jpg

25P2IOp.jpg

z5nHHnm.jpg

sE57ynb.jpg

r2cLfo3.jpg

f42dH39.jpg

xwuQpZB.jpg

wl50zq5.jpg

B3Eq2x1.jpg

bP4GCV7.jpg

OFeypjY.jpg

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 10

19 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

If you want reference material, I can thoroughly recommend this, which arrived recently:

Chieftain: Britain's Flawed Masterpiece (Green) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/8365958295/

best,

M.

Many thanks for your info and support, much appreciated, I'll take a look, although I have some Osprey, which I think will help.
Anyway, I don't think I'm going to do anything scratch, because I'm not and very skilled in that field, and the kit, maybe I don't need it as much as Tamiya's.

Cheers M. 👍

18 hours ago, Sandbox said:

I have this kit in my stash so I am looking forward to your build efforts/results.

Many thanks for your like, comments and follow, I hope the "trip" is comfortable and helpful ...:winkgrin:

Cheers Sandbox 👍

14 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Francis,

Always liked the Chieftain, remember watching them on the ranges as a kid.

Great choice of kit, I'll tag along if I may!

Cheers

Darryl 

Many thanks for your follow and support, As I said above, I hope the "trip" is comfortable and profitable ...:winkgrin:

Cheers Darryl 👍

13 hours ago, Soeren said:

Buikd that last year, such a great tank model that is. Was great fun building. :thumbsup:

Many thanks for your kind comments, I remember that you made several kits at the same time, and they looked great, I have the thread, in case I see I need some info.:winkgrin:

Cheers Soeren 👍

13 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Following along too Francis, good luck. 👍🏼

Roger. 

Many thanks for your like, follow and support, I hope not to disappoint ... lol

Well I would like to make camo, and also the model is a "modern" tank, a little outside my comfort zone ...

Cheers Roger 👍

UPDATE 01:

Hi Pals,

Some progress with the kit, starting with the undercarriage. I have seen that in the part that simulates rubber, there
is a small review, which at first I did not see, because it was tiny. A nice touch, but that surely won't be seen when
we are weathered.

I did not like too much, the union of the bogies to the hull, very inconsistent, and therefore, easy that the entire
set is not aligned.

I had to wait to be sure that I was well held, because I have dropped some.

Adjustment of the supports of the side skirts also, and finally an approach to the tracks, which combine the toothed
supports, with a hole in which the rubber shoe is inserted, IMHO work, unnecessary, because they could come perfectly
in one piece .

When I have done some already, I have seen that they are numbered, very cool, but I do not see the real utility,
because they are all the same and knowing the number per track ...

I will continue with the tracks, which surely give me a lot of "fun" ... lol

Sooner (I hope) ...

Cheers to all. 👍

BKq7iDf.jpg

kTwUjcQ.jpg

49qUDqw.jpg

zp9cb5b.jpg

oQ9Gbxa.jpg

nMY8bHt.jpg

zQrNsBM.jpg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Nice start Francis, nothing not to like about the old Chiefy so I’m looking forward to seeing this one shape up. 

Regards

Dan  

Hi Dan, 

It really is a very nice tank, not so modern, and that makes its turret shapes so suggestive.

I also really want to see how it takes shape, and I would not like for anything in the world to spoil a higher quality kit than the ones I am used to do, either because I had them in the stash for "eons", or to use cheaper kits, with the idea of going "deoxidizing" and learning new techniques (if my ability reaches those levels).

Many thanks for your like, kind words, and interest. 

Cheers Dan 👍

• Like 1

Hi Francis,  good start, interested in how the tracks go together. I have a Takom Chieftain hiding in the stash somewhere but always been put off by the tracks, good to know they aren't to bad.

Thanks for sharing.

Darryl

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Soeren said:

Very nice. These tracks actually look good and the build phase is not bad at all. It was fun. I didn't do a full run. The top part is hidden behind the skirts. NO need to do them there.

Hi Soeren, many thanks for your interest and kind words. I still have a little misplaced the assembly of these tracks, I have to fix some links, although I can always "hide them" ... lol:whistle:
Do not think that I have also thought of "saving" part of the tracks, but I have to be sure that this "trick" is not seen from anywhere (if you take the model and inspect it from below for example ...).
I don't discard it anyway.

Cheers mate 👍

On 14/11/2019 at 20:24, viper-30 said:

Just picked up on this watching with interest as I’ve a couple to build ..and just picked up a 1/16 rg  version to detail .

Many thanks for your interest, I hope to see one of yours too. The 1/16 version must be impressive. Excuse me, is RG Radio Control? ...

Cheers Viper-30👍