What is this line on the edge of the flight deck?

Can someone help me out on this on for my  Illustrious Class Carrier build is it a part of the manufacturing process or someone’s half bottom attempt of a catwalk? If it is a catwalk how would one attempt to make the real McCoy and would the measurements be?

928121B1-4BE1-4366-899C-63108D54E61D

I don't think that there was any such continuous catwalk, but others may be more definite (either way).  However it does look to me like flash from the joining line of the upper and lower moulds.  You don't say which kit: if it is one of the newer ones I'm surprised, but if it is one of the old Aosima toolings then "shrug".  

5 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I don't think that there was any such continuous catwalk, but others may be more definite (either way).  However it does look to me like flash from the joining line of the upper and lower moulds.  You don't say which kit: if it is one of the newer ones I'm surprised, but if it is one of the old Aosima toolings then "shrug".  

Sorry my bad and laziness as I didn’t want to walk back over to the shed to get the manufacturers details etc as it’s stinking hot tonight with  high humidity atm and wife will make to do something while outside. 

Yes its one Aoshima old tooling’s btw and it sort’ve giving me a few headaches atm, but then again it’s probably my brand new hearing aids 😂.

Very poor kit, looks like you are in for scraping and filing.  I did get replacement guns, aerials and aircraft, then set out to convert it to Indomitable, but it defeated me.  I could see my modelling time being occupied into the far distant future.  Officially it hasn't been binned, but each year it seems likelier.  Could you use replacement bits?

Aosima have recently done a much better one, but still not brilliant.  Flyhawk have a superior one, but I think you need elves to make all the tiny pieces in Flyhawk kits.

Still no Indomitable.

On 07/11/2019 at 21:37, Graham Boak said:

Very poor kit, looks like you are in for scraping and filing.  I did get replacement guns, aerials and aircraft, then set out to convert it to Indomitable, but it defeated me.  I could see my modelling time being occupied into the far distant future.  Officially it hasn't been binned, but each year it seems likelier.  Could you use replacement bits?

Aosima have recently done a much better one, but still not brilliant.  Flyhawk have a superior one, but I think you need elves to make all the tiny pieces in Flyhawk kits.

Still no Indomitable.

Hi Graham,

The aftermarket parts I’m using for this build is a Illustrious Class Weapons set from 3D models, PE from Toms Model Works, Carly Floats from Shapeways where I get round to ordering them, but I’m unsure what Aircraft I will have atm and anyway that’s a bit further down the track.

As this build so far reminds me of my uncle teaching me how to restore one his vintage BSA’s motorcycles with all the filing and sanding so far along with manufacturing parts for this build.

I enjoyed building the Flyhawk kits,  I also have the same issues as you with their PE and I do think Flyhawk’s PE brass is a little on the soft side as well.