Illustrious Class Carrier

On 11/01/2020 at 02:13, Chewbacca said:

According to Hobbs - British Aircraft Carriers - the first ever angled deck was a 3 deg approach painted onto the deck of HMS TRIUMPH in Feb 1952.  The arrestor gear remained athwartships so was removed and all landings were touch and go only.  It proved a complete success which prompted the US Navy to modify USS ANTIETAM with a port sponson to facilitate an 8 deg angled deck for joint USN/RN trials.

ARK ROYAL was the first carrier to be completed with a angled deck entering service in Feb 1955 with a 5 deg deck (later increased to 8 deg in 1970).  VICTORIOUS was converted to the 8 deg angled deck but did not complete her refit with this feature until September 1958

Hope that helps

I was just hoping that someone within the brains trust here may’ve had, seen or heard from their days in “The Senior Service” or from their NOK/ relatives etc of talk from the wardroom etc (as we all know to get stuff done in the services is via the Mess’s)  during War on the angle deck. But a lass it’s all post war stuff anyway, as  I’ve got a Carrier to build and a enough of Wiff’s etc for the time being.

Well another productive day as I’ve add some railing when HACS directions go and I’ve realised when editing a a couple of pictures I’ve miss one or two, all the gun tubs for the quad Pom Poms are finally finished using brass and plastic card. Just some railings where the 20mm guns go and it would be ready to prime.

PS, forgot to mention that I’ve added 4 hatches where the 4.5in guns go as well.

https://flic.kr/p/2idSjLB

https://flic.kr/p/2idSjCA

https://flic.kr/p/2idQ11w

Well it’s raining cats& dogs atm since Monday. A bit of a catch up since Monday, I’ve started to painting the Flt deck, assembly the oct quad Pom Pom from 3D Models and I’ve start on the small boats along the Carley Floats. I’m now at that stage I’m between painting part and waiting for parts to dry now.

74431375-852D-4D64-8C77-22219F77A608

96ACF18F-4BA6-4A23-B020-4AD9473A3675

218F5A9B-3125-4107-A696-4EDF80CEF8CD

• Like 6

Looking from the shed back towards the house around half 10 this morning.

Raining cat & dogs in Darwin rural area, the Monsoon was mth& half late & sure is making up for its late arrival. As Dad always said from his time in Broken Hill & time visiting the relatives out Yeovil way NSW as a kid. When it rains in Oz it pours

FA6D6E33-4B5C-4CE2-AF59-8349EDB1C5EC

• Like 4

Today I removed the masking around the centre line on flight deck and it’s looking not to bad. But I have a funny suspicion that the dark grey colour is a tad too dark for the flight deck?

Some stage this week I’ll add the wind breaks, the two wire barriers  and the six arrestor cables before I glue the flight to the hull. 

CFDC21DD-AC59-461D-A742-039F1C0BBB9B

• Like 5

On 22/01/2020 at 12:21, stevehnz said:

Looking good there Alan, those pompoms are pretty exquisite, that sort of small detail really makes these builds. 

Steve.

Yes Steve the PomPoms are pretty exquisite, but it’s a shame that the 4.5in guns from 3D Models are a wee bit on the fragile side as I’ve broken two barrels already and I’ve had to order another set this time from Shapeways.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Exkiwiforces said:

But I have a funny suspicion that the dark grey colour is a tad too dark for the flight deck?

Does look a bit dark - maybe a case of the paint colour is accurate, but scale effect, fading and weathering need to be simulated? When I get this sort of thing I carefully mist with very thinned light sea grey (10%ish) to reduce the contrast of everything. If you can see the result as you do it you've done too much - it should only show up as before/after

• 4 weeks later...

Not a lot has been going on with the Illustrious build since the last downpour on the 22-24 Jan. The flight deck has had the windbreaks add, along the following two wire barriers in which one MIA and I did a right Barry Cocker in gluing on the deck, and finally adding the traps using some black cotton.

I’m hopeful that we well get some decent rain this week as there is a cyclone forming the Gulf of Carpentaria. So I’m hopeful to start some painting on the hull around the mid week at this stage as we really need it atm as the main water storage dam for Darwin is about 54% full atm and we now at the back end of the Nth Australia Monsoon Season.  

1870AA5D-EA43-4B2D-A7B0-E3214BE17A62

45CBECBB-0C9B-409D-8B6E-CBC1EAF45933

41282FB7-362B-4F84-AE9E-F0CEA3EFF468

A32CB5BA-7221-4C9A-B933-2D21B4E90680

PS,

This happened on Tuesday afternoon, a lightning strike just in front of the house which blow the Solar Power unit, telephone line and the blow the main box down by the fence. The emergency genset came in handy once the switch broad checked.

284E697E-CF5D-4BBE-A8E0-F50EE83481C1

2EFE22BA-E232-42CC-9C76-B78931F6A55C

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 5

On 24/02/2020 at 22:31, bbudde said:

Ouch, Peeled off like a banana. Nice work on the carrier. Like it a lot so far.

Cheers Benedikt

We had one last yr down the back of the property which stuck another gum which then arc the fence and blow 4 electric gates down rd among other things. 

• Like 1

Well guess what happened yesterday folks? I finally started painting the Illustrious Class Carrier, but I’ve had to mix paints yuck and thanks to Jamie at Sovereigns Colourcoats he was able to come with goods as I have old stock paints from the Sovereign Colourcoats range.

These paints from Sovereign Colourcoats are the bees knees and are worth every cent.

BZ, To Jamie and the Team at Sovereign Colourcoats 

0BBF7900-E26A-43CB-B62E-F9BE5D82E9F1

8D765A78-0AE7-443F-AEC5-26E2F5A9731B

Well it’s raining cats and dogs since the wee early hrs of this morning and it’s appears the rain will be here tomorrow as well, so guess once I’ve finished here bumping my fat fingers. I’ll be off the Tp Sgts office do some on you know what unless I get a phone about some draws for my work bench in the hanger which odd sizes, but another story for another time.

• Like 5

Managed to do some more painting yesterday and while I was adding the 1st coat of MS1, I noticed I had cock up on the previous days painting. So I’m left with two options either repaint it or as my art teacher at High School would say if you cock up on something claim artistic license?

5FE10B1C-574A-45F9-8D5E-5D089B90D25A

E0BE7C01-39DD-4C14-8B83-C635537BEDA7

• Like 5

Well another productive day for me,  finish adding the second coat of MS1 and spent time some re-reading Jamie’s (Jamie from Sovereign Colourcoats) notes from another thread as I can get the Internet in the hanger with new modem. I realised I had not only cocked up paint scheme, but made a complete man-vegetables of the colour as well. So the correct colour has now been applied.

EC87E5F8-5EC3-4A04-A3A9-D4F5FD14EBAE

15A11285-781C-467F-9A14-57EF6EF1E93D

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 7

Had another successful day this afternoon. I managed to mix up a passable B6 using old stock Sovereign Colourcoats paints courtesy of Jamie from Sovereign Colourcoats.

Today’s  mix of B6 was a lot better than the one I mixed up on Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully I might get round to painting MS4A over the next couple days. But I do think the B6 is little on the bright side?

5BA1F0A5-CCF0-4833-AD06-D7B9BE15FD63

B4802C09-3036-44BD-9397-CE48A5438F73

• Like 8

On 29/02/2020 at 23:17, Bandsaw Steve said:

That camouflage Pattern looks outstanding!

It’s all done by hand with one eye on the book and other on where I should painting. I use three types of brush a fine tip do a rough trace and those hard to get places, a not so finer tip brush  and a wide tip brush. Once I’m back in the shed I edit this post with the right size brush for anyone you wants to know

0B5EFFC0-9696-4340-AC5A-85FFFFD01E5E

The paint brushes I use for Camouflage I’m using for this build

No work today on the build, sort’ve working out the small parts and PE, but I did some work the two German Z Class destroyers.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
Added new text and Picture
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, steve5 said:

Only just joined the group , that is some nice work you are doing mate . Pulling up a chair for this one .

Wow - look guys another Steve. I swear ‘Steve’s’ we make up about a third of the Britmodeller populous. 

Welcome aboard Steve5!

• Haha 2

Well what can I say about Jamie@Sovereign Colourcoats? He has come up with goods again with the required paint even though I hate mixing paint. This afternoon I mixed up some paint as per Jamie’s instructions, i applied it to the superstructure and two some smaller parts of the ship. I have a funny feeling it maybe a tad too light?

2AE24DB2-B869-45A8-8647-4DD62BA0AD82

A8669A47-223B-45DF-AC27-9246E9AE6BF2

P.S Almost forgot, I received an email from AusPost this afternoon saying a parcel from Creative Models is on its way to Darwin and means only one the my order of paints is inbound. Which means I can finally finish four of my other builds which stalled for the lack of paint namely 507C from Sovereign Colourcoats.

• Like 3

Hi,

Was this with or without the extra drop of RN12?

I think the contrast looks ok, and with some washes and/or filters applied it should blend it well enough. MS4A was a 55% Light Reflectance Value paint, so was noticeably lighter than 507C and due to the somewhat non-linear "scale" we perceive differences in tone with, is getting towards white. Keep in mind that brilliant white paint which would be a real slap in the face on the model would give you 75~80% LRV, not the 100% which theoretical/ideal white has.

8 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi,

Was this with or without the extra drop of RN12?

I think the contrast looks ok, and with some washes and/or filters applied it should blend it well enough. MS4A was a 55% Light Reflectance Value paint, so was noticeably lighter than 507C and due to the somewhat non-linear "scale" we perceive differences in tone with, is getting towards white. Keep in mind that brilliant white paint which would be a real slap in the face on the model would give you 75~80% LRV, not the 100% which theoretical/ideal white has.

Yes Jamie, I added an extra drop of RN12.

Ok, your reply actually now makes sense to me, as I was expecting the paint to be a tad darker. 

• Like 1