Hasegawa 1/48 P-51D Mustang

Finally, after what seems like forever, managed to finish something. I started a triple build of Hasegawa P-51D's a long time ago and just got bogged down with life, but a month ago managed to rediscover my mojo. The result is these three crossed the line and now ready to share. All three had the following extras:

Master P-51D gun barrels (an absolute test of patience but look better than the original plastic)

Eduard P-51 Cockpit etch sets

Barracuda Resin - P-51 Wheels (beautifully cast wheels)

Quickboost & Ultracast Flaps (Took a bit of work to make these fit the Hasegawa kit but nothing overly difficult)

The first is the P-51D of Captain Fred Hutchins from the 302nd FS 'Tuskegee Airmen' - Little Freddie

dx7x83h.jpg

TBZN9fX.jpg

wzqKPiY.jpg

fNV4CFX.jpg

njDDL5R.jpg

drWlcWO.jpg

AStG3J5.jpg

The second is Captain Ed Heller's "Hell Er Bust" from the 486th FS

bi1cJZv.jpg

sce8u7A.jpg

NHP8NR2.jpg

s5EXnbD.jpg

5IuDErH.jpg

LhDK0W5.jpg

KhmeBOw.jpg

Finally Lt Jacques E Young's "Jumpin Jacques" of the 3rd FS

JwIlvQ5.jpg

AuEOgSz.jpg

X88L1VA.jpg

qaDZaQJ.jpg

lJPTAW9.jpg

wc6xoId.jpg

cMF7BAb.jpg

As always comments and critique welcomed.

Onto a Spitfire frenzy now which, hopefully, won't take as long as these did.

Pete

Edited by Peter W
Missing test
  • Like 50
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful Mustangs Pete. Goes to show that the influx of much later Mustang kits on the market from Eduard et al doesn't make the older kits bad kits - the old Hasegawa kit brushes up very nicely indeed!

Cheers

Malcolm

Wow! You did a nice job on the spinners. One of the big weaknesses of the Hasegawa kit is the mismatch between the front and back of the spinner. IIRC there was a Tekniks set that had a corrected spinner in the aftermarket enhancement package.

All three of your builds are very very nice.:worthy:

Edited by Masinissa

Three excellent finishes, as others have said just cause there old kits doesn't make them any worse looking. Am treating myself to one of the New Eduard 51's at the Nationals mainly as its got all the goodies in one box but I doubt the finished article will look any better !!!

Superb trio of D-models. It really doesn't matter which kit you choose - it's the modeller who creates a top model as you prove. I much like your selection of three different war theatres. It makes a nice comparison of marking policies.

Cheers, Michael

Thanks for all the positive feedback and likes, much appreciated.

I initially thought that I'd just get these three out of the way, so that I could concentrate on the newer kits later. The truth is though that they really aren't a bad kit at all. With a bit of work and a few extras they give a great result.

On 11/7/2019 at 3:51 AM, Robert_ said:

All 3 are gorgeous. What did you paint the metal with?

Robert - I used Alclad for all three matted down with Xtracrylix Flat Varnish.

Pete

• 3 years later...

Superb job on the trio of Mustangs from Hasegawa.  They look the part.  Your photography of the kits is also great at enhancing the work you did on these kits.