1/72 Blackburn Twin scratchbuild

Sorry to hear you've succumbed to the bug. I too am just getting over it, hence not much mojo! Having said that, she's looking good!

I usually fit the floats as a pair, having mated the two together first. That way the hassle of getting them even is done without having to worry about damaging anything else!

Ian

• Like 1

It all looks very good from here P!

But I know from long experience that up close and as involved as you are, the smallest error assumes mammoth proportions! And probably exacerbated by not feeling 100%.

Hope you feel better soon, better now than over Christmas (if that's any solace?)

Best wishes,

• Like 1

Hope you're feeling better. Excellent work to date but just a small point about the original. The tail floats suggest to me that the craft is a tail sitter. All the photos I have seen have the rear ends supported on trestles.

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

Evening All,

My thanks to all of you who have wished me well and left positive comments about the model. I have been struggling with a cold/cough - the latter developed into a mild form of bronchitis which I am pleased to report has now almost gone, but it completely stopped me from modelling for a few days. I have a personal deadline as well as the GB deadline to keep to, so I have rushed a little to finish the model and put it on a base. I will do the necessary tidying up and finishing at my leisure after the seasonal upheavals are past. In the meantime here are some notes on how I finished the model and made a base for it - there will be more photos and some historical notes in the gallery later. I just want to finish this before I am overtaken by the GB deadline!

The first task was to rig everything. This was straightforward as it is basically a standard biplane rather than an early monoplane or pusher which tended to have rather more wires. I used rolled 40 SWG copper wire attached at the ends with CA. I am not sure about the tail control wires as I cannot see them on photos and they are not on any of the drawings so I have added what I consider to be the most likely pattern. The propellors which were carved from wood were fitted last so that they did not get in the way and thus knocked off.

The base is a piece of painted hardboard with an attempt to represent a strip of grass and a muddy track which is visible in the photos of the aircraft when it was at Grain. I will add some more weathering to the concrete base later - I will probably weather the Hansa- Brandenburg base at the same time. The trestles were made from 20 x 30 thou Evergreen strip and the wheeled units under the main floats were from scrap: all are based on those seen in the photos alluded to.

49244312512_fd9af1abfd_c.jpg

This has been an enjoyable build of an unusual type and I am pleased to have participated in this GB. My thanks to Jamie for being such a good moderator and to all of you who have been following along and offering support.

P. 

• Like 15

Beautiful - the build that is of course, not the plane. Sometimes wonder if Blackburn's design team later went to France to design such machines as the Amiot 143, as they were about as aesthetically challenged.

Pete

• Haha 1

Thanks gentlemen for the very kind remarks.

I am going to be offline for a couple of weeks so will catch up on the last completions when I get back online hopefully early in the new year.

Seasons greetings to one and all.

P

• Like 1