RAF 233 OCU Harrier Gr-3 Stores

typhoon1

Hi There

Wonder if someone could help I am building a 233 OCU Harrier Gr-3  but was wondering about

stores not many shots of them carrying any apart from fuel tanks and the gun pods underneath, would they carry a Centreline cbls .

Many Thanks

Craig

1 hour ago, typhoon1 said:

Hi There

Wonder if someone could help I am building a 233 OCU Harrier Gr-3  but was wondering about

stores not many shots of them carrying any apart from fuel tanks and the gun pods underneath, would they carry a Centreline cbls .

Many Thanks

Craig

From my time as an armourer on the 233 OCU line in the 79/81 time period  They would  normally fly  up to four   two armed jet sorties  with  GR3 and T4 aircraft  per day  carrying either;

• Two outer wing mounted CBLS 100 with either 4 x 4lb practice bombs or two 28lb Practice bombs on the rear stations.    
  • Two  outer wing pylon mounted 18 shot SNEB pods. 
  • Composite config which was  two outer wing mounted 18 shot SNEB pods and a centreline mounted CBLS 100 with either 4 x 4lb practice bombs or two 28lb Practice bombs on the rear stations.
  • Very occasionally two  Practice 1000lb retard bombs  on the outer wing stations.

Guns were usually loaded with 120 rounds 30mm practice ammunition.

Selwyn

• Like 3

1 minute ago, typhoon1 said:

Thank you for the info Selwyn

Will do my kit with outer SNEB pods and Centreline CBLS.

Many Thanks

Craig

Make sure you don't use a CBLS 200 as used on Tornado!  they were  different much longer and never used on GR3 and T2/4 Harriers.

Selwyn

33 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Well maybe in the RAF ..but its "cocking the gun" in RN parlance 😮😁

You always shouted "Cocking in!" very Loudly in the RAF before cycling the gun during loading, otherwise you upset the sensitive souls of the  Flem's or Fairies when you made a loud noise without warning, and who then would then complain bitterly that you had rudely woken them up during  their morning nap in the cockpit etc etc.

Selwyn

• Haha 3