As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Thud Driver

East Midlands Model Show 2020

It is was sadness that we announce that the 2020 East Midlands Model Show at Hinckley has been cancelled.

For a full explanation the Chairman has made this statement

East Midlands Model Club in Hinckley has run a model show for just under three decades. In recent years it has become increasingly difficult to find dates that did not clash. 

Our regular March slot was eventually discarded when another show filled the dates leaving us with only Mothering Sunday.  As you can appreciate this was not practical and if I arranged our show on Mothering Sunday well ....lets just say if I had a dog it would be very well fed and the spare room would be put to good use. Those that are married and have families will know what I mean.

We eventually found a spot in May moved our show to the third weekend in May. This year however another large local show has moved to the week before. Whilst we accept that no one intended any consequences on our show in anyway, several traders have commented that it would be a really bad date for our show following only a week later. Generally the same people visit both shows. There is a high risk that people would be spent-out and would have restocked their supplies at the first show. Given that the traders essentially pay the bulk of the cost of a show we both considered and agreed with their feelings.

We therefore sought yet another slot in the calendar. 

A date was suggested by one the traders and we sought input from multiple other traders to try to ensure we did not clash with their commitments at other shows. Each agreed that the 6th September was available and therefore the date was set and preparations made including provisionally booking the hall,liaising with the council and preparing posters etc. No one mentioned there were other shows running and we were not aware.

On announcement of the date we were contacted by another club informing us of two other shows planned for the same time. We immediately tried to determine whether another date was feasible. This is difficult as we have to have the availability of the members to run the show, the venue must be available,we must avoid local council planned events (both in the Leisure Centre and the local park adjacent) as well as other model shows and war game shows

In the meantime it transpires that a number of protests were posted on forums and the threads became both derogatory and spiteful. These posts were subsequently removed by the moderator of the site shortly after they were posted without any prompts from EMMC.

Sadly the damage had been done as some our membership had seen the comments. Although these comments I understand were aimed directly at me personally, they have been received by our club members as slurs and insults to our club. This has left our members with no appetite to continue to organize further events andhave reminded us of who we do not want to be

We at EMMC do not organize a show for self gratification or praise, Our Shows to share our hobby with other modelers. We have no desire to put ourselves on a pedestal to be heckled at. Nor will we engage in a mud-slinging competition.

As such it is was sadness that EMMC after running 29 consecutive annual shows will withdraw from the show fixtures for 2020

We may return to the show calendar in 2021 should a suitable date be found.

I would like to thank everyone on behalf of EMMC for all your support over the many years especially visiting clubs/SIG's and traders who have helped make each show a success. 

Thank You 

Alec Chinnery

Chairman East Midlands Model Club.

Edited by Thud Driver
wrong text

My local show :( Literally takes me 15 minutes to walk to where it is held

Hope to see it back in 2021. 

Edited by Adam Poultney

Really sorry to hear this always enjoyed this show,it inspired me to start modelling again. And what is those who won’t done anything feel they can criticise those who do. Hope you’re back in 2021.

Well, I trust those who were instrumental in mucking this excellent show are contented. This WAS one of the best shows of the year and eagerly anticipating by our club whether we were showing or not.

Let's just hope the organisers can get re-motivated. 

You guys always do your best and have put a good show for years. There are more that will pat you on the back than stab you in it, so take it on the chin and let's look forward to 21 ! 👍

I'm very sorry to hear that some people have found it necessary to sling mud at the Hinckley show. If these folks had experience of organizing a show themselves, I believe they would be a great deal less vocal in criticizing the sincere efforts of others. Sorting out any model show is the result of hundreds of hours of work and is not to be undertaken lightly. People would be astonished at what goes on behind-the-scenes. There are many more aspects to running a show than you might think. I co-organised a show last year (our first) and it really eats into your spare-time.  

Having said that, a percentage of modellers only seem to be happy when they have something to moan about.... so draw your own conclusions. 

Chris.   

One of my favourite shows in the calendar, don't think I've missed a show since I started modelling in the early 90's, it's been a great day out either as a visitor or as an exhibitor manning a table and that is due to the wonderful people who take their time and effort to put on shows like this.  After years of running sports leagues and being on various committees I came to the conclusion there are people who do, people who don't and a small amount of people who do bugger all except find fault, these are the 'should have's', shudda done this, shudda done that but in my experience they do nothing other than suck the oxygen out of the ones that do, so for me many thanks to all the ones who run these wonderful events, let's hope next year is just a blip and there are many more East Midlands model shows to come.

Worth pointing out to everyone, apart from the usual complaints re parking/unloading , traders complaining about takings (normal), the problem was that we had booked on the same weekend as two other shows. The comments were made mainly about our show organiser, and beleive me , they were not nice, and given the issues of finding a date, particularly as we have been shoehorned out of our regular dates twice is the past couple of years, I'm afraid we've had enough, which we do hope is temporary. Thanks for your kind words,and I do hope we can bring back the show with even better results.

Mick

A real shame. This show is one of two that is quite close to me and although I can appreciate the traders concerns as to the proximity of the MK show, keyboard warriors on forums have destroyed any chance of having a show at another time of the year. I really cannot blame the organizers for pulling the show, if all they get is aggro from various directions. The people being critical should consider that it is not all about them and perhaps consider that all these different model shows spaced across a year promotes the hobby to a wider audience, that either join the hobby, or re-ignite their interest again.

I hope you can get the show up and running in 2021.

Edited by bobster

This is a great shame . Hinckley has always been one of my favourite shows . Hope it returns for 2021

I always enjoyed the March date and found it convenient.  Why not return to that?

With Southern Expo winding up from next year (see thread elsewhere), the end of March is now free.

Edited by 3DStewart

13 hours ago, Thud Driver said:

Is the southern Expo thing nailed on? If so , we could plan ahead and fix it in the calender as soon as possible, Thanks for the heads up.

I got the information from here. Maybe contact the show organisers for confirmation.

I have just found this -  How sad

The Hinckley show was one I always attended - its my local show.

Hope some thing can be worked out, and we have a show in 2021.

Regards

Paul

Good luck getting a date. I know being involved with our club show it is not easy.

It does seem to be that we are getting to the saturation point with shows now.

Julien

Sad to hear about the Hinckley show, it was one of my favourites.

As a mark of solidarity I shall be boycotting all shows in 2020 apart from

the local ones at the Midland Air Museum .

Edited by IanHx

On 12/12/2019 at 17:36, Julien said:

It does seem to be that we are getting to the saturation point with shows now.

is that kind of a good thing though? 🤷🏿‍♀️