What WW2 British aircraft haven't been done by Airfix? (or anyone else).

Graham Boak

2 hours ago, ClaudioN said:

Not British, but (like the Maryland) used by the British: Grumman Goose?

I think virtually anything British-built from WW II has been kitted by somebody over the years... Vickers Warwick, maybe? Not a big seller, I'd think.

Or, Wellington Mk. VI, a variant much varied and an intriguing shape.

Claudio

There was a Contrail Vac of the Warwick, but I suspect it looks too much like a Wellington for an IM kit

• Like 1

Hello Joe

You probably meant Hamilcars and Tetrarchs:

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.269198065.1263818

© IWM (B 5198)

This photo, found in Imperial War Museum collection here, shows 6th Airlanding Brigade Hamilcars with Tetrarch light tanks on board, arriving on drop zone N during the first day of Normandy landing. Cheers

Jure

Edited by Jure Miljevic
spelling errors corrected (hopefully all of them)
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ClaudioN said:

Not British, but (like the Maryland) used by the British: Grumman Goose?

Done by Special Hobby or perhaps it was MPM.  I have got one part built waiting for someone somewhere to produce some codes in the correct Yellow.  

Not just Goose but Gosling and Kingfisher.  We also got a lot of Seamews.

The OP didn't differentiate between British built and British operated.  Let alone those actually designed to British requirements as opposed to bought off the rail, as it were.   He also didn't distinguish between Airfix tooling and Airfix reboxing othe companies' products.  Life is complicated.  

The "A listers" weren't mentioned because Airfix did them.  

Airfix ought to produce a good kit of every British WW2 bomber in 1:72, but I suspect that the economics would be difficult for most of them.

Whitley (Merlin & Tiger) - 1 of 2 so far!

Albemarle

Manchester

Lancaster (Merlin & Hercules) - sorted!

Lincoln - wartime development

Botha

Bombay

Blenheim - made a start!

Beaufort

Brigand - wartime development

Mosquito - new tools needed

Battle - old and poor

Hampden - old and poor

Hereford

Harrow

Halifax  (Merlin & Hercules)

Stirling - old and poor

Wellesley - Matchbox

Wellington - started - endless possibilities!

Warwick

10 hours ago, Welkin said:

Airfix ought to produce a good kit of every British WW2 bomber in 1:72, but I suspect that the economics would be difficult for most of them.

Whitley (Merlin & Tiger) - 1 of 2 so far! - Tiger-powered versions by Fly Models

Albemarle - Valom (multiple variants)

Manchester - Planet Models (resin)

Lancaster (Merlin & Hercules) - sorted!

Lincoln - wartime development

Botha

Bombay - Valom (multiple variants)

Blenheim - made a start! - only missing the Mk.V aren’t they, unless you want the Bolingbroke Canadian-built aircraft (some day the Airfix kit is closer to a Bolingbroke anyway).

Beaufort

Brigand -  Valom

Mosquito - Two-stage Merlin variants supposedly under development by Special Hobby

Battle - MPM (questionable accuracy)

Hampden - Valom (multiple variants)

Hereford - Valom

Harrow - Valom

Halifax  (Merlin & Hercules) - Revell (questionable accuracy)

Stirling - Italeri

Wellesley  - Valom (multiple variants)

Wellington - started - endless possibilities!

Warwick

I suspect kits of American aircraft like the B-26 Marauder, A-26 Invader, A-20 Havoc/Boston, B-24 Liberator, and even the B-29 would have better economics. Although, if Airfix would like to do a B-32 Dominator I would not object.

Then again, lots of Fleet Air Arm subjects that have not been done well in 1/72

SEAFIRES!

Albacore

Barracuda

Fulmar

Firefly

Walrus/Seagull

Sea Otter

Seafox

Blackburn Blackburn

Blackburn Shark

(I realise some of those aren’t WWII)

Edited by VMA131Marine

I was hoping to avoid the "some kits need better toolings"" as that wasn't relevant to the original point, and once we start on that game there is probably not a single Airfix (or other company) kit that can't be improved. 

For example, from your list I can name the Sword Seafire III, which although it could be improved is probably very nearly as good as an Airfix one would be, the SH Firefly, Barracuda, Albacore, Sea Otter, and the Matchbox Seafox  (some Matchbox kits were very good).  I think that all these kits are pretty good (at least of the ones I've seen/got) but equally not perfect...

I was more interested in discovering what was and wasn't in the list, not whether any subject would be profitable.  There's little in modelling quite as funny as the subjects that some people think would make Airfix's fortune.  I'm sure it would make them happy (and perhaps even me) but that's not the same thing.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Welkin said:

Botha

Kind of an understatement about the economics...

But, yes! How could I miss on it.

And, they might profitably invest the returns of their newly-announced new-tool Vulcan. :fool:

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs AIRCRAFT OF THE ROYAL AIR FORCE, 1939-1945: BLACKBURN B-26 BOTHA.. © IWM (CH 1905) IWM Non Commercial License

• Like 1

"Blenheim - made a start! - only missing the Mk.V aren’t they, unless you want the Bolingbroke Canadian-built aircraft (some day the Airfix kit is closer to a Bolingbroke anyway).

Beaufort"

Special Hobby have done both a Beaufort and a Blenheim V.  Though finding either might be fun.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:50 PM, VMA131Marine said:

.... there were two kits released of the the Triebflugel, an aircraft concept that probably barely progressed from a drawing on the back of a napkin (and I bought both of them anyway ...)

....and wouldn't have flown anyway.

• Like 1

Another to add to the 'DONE' list is the Miles Messenger as Pavla produced a half decent kit (now OOP but likely available on ebay and other second hand sellers) , and one decal choice is for Monty's own aircraft. I have one of these built and sitting happily in a display cabinet next to my Pavla Miles Martinet and Miles Master.