What WW2 British aircraft haven't been done by Airfix? (or anyone else).

Graham Boak

35 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

the only notable omission to this thread seems to be the British Taylorcraft Auster of which over 1,600 were built.,

The AOP.6 has been done by Airfix, initially as the ‘Auster Antarctic’.

My go-to reference would be my trusty Putnams tome on RAF types.

Trevor

I was counting the Airfix Mk.6.  If you don't want to count this then AZ have done a Mk.III.  The earlier wartime Austers and the Mk.VI did have different fuselage frames (wider on later aircraft) so it might be legitimate to count them as different types.  There's a very good recent thread on whether an Aiglet can be an easy change to a military variant, which sort of gets stuck on "which Aiglet?" but does cover the fuselage differences.

The B.20 counts as experimental only.  An interesting subset in itself, but Airfix can't be blamed for assuming it wouldn't sell.  Not by me, anyway.

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

I was counting the Airfix Mk.6.  If you don't want to count this then AZ have done a Mk.III.  The earlier wartime Austers and the Mk.VI did have different fuselage frames (wider on later aircraft) so it might be legitimate to count them as different types. 

Different fuselage, different wings, different tail, different undercarriage. and for many wartime examples (Auster V) also a completely different engine configuration. So yes, by any rational modelling definition the AOP.6 is a different type from any wartime Taylorcraft or Auster. The AZ Auster III is a nice little kit. 

Others we haven't yet mentioned -

the Fairchild Argus, of which several hundred were supplied to the RAF under lend-lease, should also be considered, in both its visually very distinct forms, radial-engined and inline-engined forms. Legato did both  in 1/72.

the Beech Traveller (Model 17 / Staggerwing in normal life) which served in significant numbers.  AZ did it in 1/72 and there is a pretty fair AMT kit in 1/48. 

the Stinson Sentinel (AZ 1/72)

and the Stinson Reliant (AMT 1/48) 

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

OK.  I think the Legato Argus was a Pavla original.  The Forwarder just counts as a variant.  (Maybe the Forwarder was the Pavla… or both.)

The AZ Auster is a nice little kit until you try to fix the wings onto the canopy.  I shall refer to it as the British Taylorcraft as that's what the originals were.

You've inspired me to come up with the Vigilant and the Beech 18, but I suspect that the Reliant counts as a civil aircraft in small numbers.  Just not impressed.

Again though, how many of these were predominantly British in specification, design or use?  Maybe these, with the Mariner/Coronado and all US types other than the Baltimore, Vengeance and Bermuda should be removed?  Not that we want to claim responsibility for the Bermuda, and arguably not the Vengeance either.

Now do I need to go through the Airfix listings to find out how many British WW2 types they did make?  Then we can play the percentages game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

, how many of these were predominantly British in specification, design or use?

Well, I suppose you really need to have a think about exactly what it is that you want to catalogue.

I had thought by "he thought Airfix made every British WW2 type" in the OP you were referring to types used by British forces in WW2, and had only left out the obvious A-list US-designed types because they were obvious and A-list, just as you left out the obvious UK-designed A-listers.

For example, there was never anything remotely UK about the spec or design of the C-54, but you wanted that in.

20 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Have you looked at the HobbyBoss P-61?

Yes, it's easy to build and it sort of looks like a P-61 if you squint hard enough, but it's hardly the definitive kit of the type. We're still waiting for a really good Black Widow kit in 1/72; it seems like something that Great Wall would do as a follow-on to their 1/48 kits. They weren't perfect, but much better than what had gone before and GWH has made efforts to improve their models with successive releases. If Hasegawa ever does a new 1/72 aircraft kit, the P-61 would be a good subject for them to tackle.

Maybe ,got one in the stash ,but the main point was why are Airfix reissuing donkey years old kits ?

5 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Maybe ,got one in the stash ,but the main point was why are Airfix reissuing donkey years old kits ?

Because they can .....?

They are hardly the biggest offenders in this category.

Edited by VMA131Marine

34 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Anyone mentioned the Miles Martinet? As far as I can remember, only Magna have released one, but in resin.

Trevor

It has been mentioned - note Pavla also did one.

• Thanks 1

Vickers Valentia

In terms of combat aircraft, the Beaufort and Tempest would seem to be the two most numerous British types not kitted by Airfix (They released the Smer Fulmar) - there is probably a decent market for new kits of either of those, but I'd also like them to redo the Fairey Battle

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

In terms of combat aircraft, the Beaufort and Tempest would seem to be the two most numerous British types not kitted by Airfix (They released the Smer Fulmar) - there is probably a decent market for new kits of either of those, but I'd also like them to redo the Fairey Battle

They have also released the very nice Heller Tempest from time to time though I imagine that is a less attractive option for them now that the two lines are under seperate ownership again

On 11/6/2019 at 9:31 PM, VMA131Marine said:

The FROG kit only looks like a Skua because it doesn't look like anything else. It has major dimensional errors that are difficult to correct. IIRC the wing root chord is over 1/4" too narrow.

Paula and Special Hobby both do a range of Skuas. Special Hobby also does a Roc. 

The Maryland, I think they were re-directed from the French order after the fall of France, were used by the FAA for training and reconnaissance use. Remember, it was an FAA Maryland that identified that the Bismarck had sailed from its anchorage in a Norwegian Fjord. Again no British maker but kitted in 1:72 by Special Hobby. 

Also Airfix reboxed the Heller kit of the DH Rapide. 

5 hours ago, 825 said:

Again no British maker but kitted in 1:72 by Special Hobby. 

Frog F241- an oldie but not so goodie, but all there was until the Azur/Special Hobby release.

Mike

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/allies/us/fmarylandpreview.htm

Edited by 72modeler
added text

Going by the above listings I very much doubt that many of the more obscure types will ever be kitted by any of the major (and minor?)manufacturers. Maybe the odd one or two in resin and then they will be very limited and expensive to all but the must haves.

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

Going by the above listings I very much doubt that many of the more obscure types will ever be kitted by any of the major (and minor?)manufacturers. Maybe the odd one or two in resin and then they will be very limited and expensive to all but the must haves.

I agree.  I’m pinning nearly all my hopes on Special Hobby, who with MPM seemed at one time to be working their way through the FROG back catalogue but have been much quieter of late.  Maybe AZ as well.  If we can have what-if MB5s, why not some types that actually served?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Agree about the unlikelihood of most.  However I remain surprised that Airfix (in particular) haven't recognised that by planning their Lancaster sprues carefully they could do two types at only the cost of one and a half tools.

Trying to put myself in Airfix' shoes...

Investment for a new Lancaster: 100. Investment for a Lancaster and a Manchester: 150, maybe less, let's say 140.

Number of Lancasters I can sell per year: 1,000 (number thrown in the air of course).

Number of Manchesters I can sell per year: how less popular is the Manchester compared to the Lancaster ? Sure not a type capable of attracting many casual buyers as lacks the aura of its sibling, but interesting for those more knowledgeable guys who already have a Lanc.. say 1 Manchester per every Lancaster ? And I may be optimistic.

Is it worth ? Not sure... the investment would only be 40% of that of a new kit, but the additional market would be 10% at best...

If on the other hand I only spend the 100 for the development of the Lancaster tool, I would sell my 1,000 Lancasters per year... and those who want to build a Manchester will have to buy one of my Lancasters as a basis for a conversion... they will sure be less than 100 a year, as not all potential buyers would be willing to build a kit with a resin or similar conversion, but still those would be my customer without any extra investment from my side

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 825 said:

Paula and Special Hobby both do a range of Skuas. Special Hobby also does a Roc. 

I have both Skuas, and the Roc. The Pavla Skua kit is not an easy one to build, the Special Hobby kits are better, but still not the quality of a long run tool.

Not British, but (like the Maryland) used by the British: Grumman Goose?

I think virtually anything British-built from WW II has been kitted by somebody over the years... Vickers Warwick, maybe? Not a big seller, I'd think.

Or, Wellington Mk. VI, a variant much varied and an intriguing shape.

Claudio

7 minutes ago, ClaudioN said:

Vickers Warwick, maybe?

Like the Wellington, the Warwick was used in a number of roles with the attendant variation in colour schemes. There were about 840-ish produced, which is nearly twice the number of actual King Tigers built and there is a plethora of kits of that. Actually, forget the King Tiger, this year there were two kits released of the the Triebflugel, an aircraft concept that probably barely progressed from a drawing on the back of a napkin (and I bought both of them anyway ...)

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

A Beaufort would be nice. FROG made one many decades ago; I remember building it. A Hamilcar glider(with the tank it was to carry, sorry can't remember the correct spelling for it) would be very welcome.

Joe