What WW2 British aircraft haven't been done by Airfix? (or anyone else).

Graham Boak

Wallace was used by for target towing by various AACUs, surely counts as much as the Henley?

Listed as a future release from Dora Wings.

Edited by rossm
More information
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Albatross:  there were distinct military Herefordshires.

Graham,

A slight mix-up here. I think you mean Flamingo rather than Albatross?

Also, there was only one DH Herefordshire, which wouldn't qualify for your list, being a 'one-off'.

Kevin

Already caught -  and ok, I thought that there was more than one Herefordshire.  However, I'm coming to think that both DH airliners deserve to be in the original list.

I think that I'm now going to go away and wait for any more comments to accumulate... It took me three goes to get through my last sequel.

Percival Q6 built in the 30s ,in service WW2 with RAF . Probably the aircraft on a secret mission to pick up General  De Gaulle and get him to GB just before France fell .

Has anyone made this as a kit ?

35 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The Frog kit was a PV6 not a Wallace.  Could be counted as a variant.

Could be, but not by anyone wishing to add a Wallace to their collection, esp a WW2 TT one.  Agree with Ross that you may be overlooking the Wallace's extensive service with AACUs until the Henley came along.

Buckingham and Buckmaster (whether or not eligible) don't count: kitted by Valom.  And Special Hobby have done the Vildebeest.

Anyone really wanting to dive down the back of the sofa looking for rare types should take a look at Gordon Swanborough's British Aircraft At War 1939-45 (HPC Publishing, 1997): all sorts of civil types and experimentals that bore RAF serials at one stage or another.  Not, I think, what Graham is after.

27 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Percival Q6 built in the 30s ,in service WW2 with RAF . Probably the aircraft on a secret mission to pick up General  De Gaulle and get him to GB just before France fell .

Has anyone made this as a kit ?

Magna did a resin kit of the Petrel.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cocky05d said:

why would anyone buy one of them when there is a P61 from Hobbyboss out there

Have you looked at the HobbyBoss P-61?

Yes, it's easy to build and it sort of looks like a P-61 if you squint hard enough, but it's hardly the definitive kit of the type. We're still waiting for a really good Black Widow kit in 1/72; it seems like something that Great Wall would do as a follow-on to their 1/48 kits. They weren't perfect, but much better than what had gone before and GWH has made efforts to improve their models with successive releases. If Hasegawa ever does a new 1/72 aircraft kit, the P-61 would be a good subject for them to tackle.

8 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Frog;

Magister, Master, Proctor, Beaufort, Oxford, Skua, Tempest, Shark, Vengeance, Firefly, Hotspur.  Plus British use of Maryland, Baltimore

The FROG kit only looks like a Skua because it doesn't look like anything else. It has major dimensional errors that are difficult to correct. IIRC the wing root chord is over 1/4" too narrow.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wombat said:

AZ do a wapiti too, I think

Not exactly. It was in some announcements by Dora (with Wallace as well)

We forgot small de Havillands like DH 90&84 (missed) and DH 82,83,89 present

J-W

9 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The FROG kit only looks like a Skua because it doesn't look like anything else. It has major dimensional errors that are difficult to correct. IIRC the wing root chord is over 1/4" too narrow.

Come to that the Airfix Battle has only a resemblance to the real thing.

• Like 1

Thanks to all.  I knew there were gaps and errors, I'm only grateful that there weren't more, for an off-the-cuff list.  To go through the recent postings in order:

Seafire:  Just a Spitfire variant.  I agree that it is astonishing that Airfix have not done one in 1/72 (apart from the Airfix club variant option).  But would be in others.

Q6:   impressed civil or bought?  Is there a specific case to be made?  If the list included all impressed civil prewar types it would be unreasonably long, and could equally be extended to captured types.  

London: in original list

Rapide:  my error.  Also Frog kit if underscale for 1/72 (but scale wasn't mentioned).  Heller kit counts as "other" but current presence on any shop's list is irrelevant.

Gordon:  omitted because of small numbers surviving into secondary roles.

Wallace:  OK, will include

Buckingham/Buckmaster/Vildebeeste: Yes, kitted by Valom/SH and should count amongst others.  Which is where they are.

Skua/Battle:  Quality of kit not relevant, or where would we stop?  Are Hardy/Audax/Hind/Hartbees/Osprey already represented but inaccurately by the Hart?

Small DHs:  impressed not significant contribution.  Maybe Hornet Moths on anti-sub patrols?

Firebrand: No fans?

Maryland: no use in land of origin but major use by French.  Not sure it should count as haven't counted B-25, B-25, A-20 etc... but Airfix made most of these anyway.

Baltimore, Vengeance: however design ordered for and significantly most used by British.  Unlike P-51 (almost) but Airfix did that and others similar.

I agree that experimental/impressed/prewar rejects hauled back etc aircraft would make an good list, and indeed good models, but lines need to be drawn somewhere.  Perhaps a separate list should be drawn up, going through all the Putnam series of British manufacturers and Air Britain's RAF serials?  (including FAA, of course.)  Enjoy.

Edited by Graham Boak

4 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Firebrand: No fans?

Valom did the TF Mk.II.. that was hardly a production type but at least was assigned to a unit during the war, albeit for development work only.

CMR did later variants but I understand you're only looking at plastic kits

Personally I would not consider the Firebrand a type with any role in WW2, as the variants that entered proper squadron service were all delivered after the end of the war

I agree, and I have one nearly assembled.  I'm still havering over converting it to a Mk.I…  but I had expected someone to stand up for it.  However, only one development unit does rather sound like the Meteor too, illustrating the difficulty in drawing lines.

For many years my "go to" book on RAF Aircraft was the Ian Allan ABC of British Aircraft and there a number of aircraft listed under "other types" not modelled (Blackburn B.20 anyone), the only notable omission to this thread seems to be the British Taylorcraft Auster of which over 1,600 were built.,