NACA Hellcat ?

roadrunner

I think the model is a "what if." The only F6F I found that was flown by NACA was the prototype, BuNo 02981, which was heavily damaged during testing and was rebuilt as an F6F-4. See the link below for a photo of the XF6F-4 taken at NACA, Langley Field . I think the color photo posted might be a restored warbird, given the date of the photo, and its BuNo is not correct for the XF6F-4. I couldn't find any photos that showed an F6F with NACA markings in the scheme portrayed by the modeler.  There are no photos of an F6F in NACA markings in the Naval Fighters volume 92 on the Hellcat by Steve Ginter and Corky Meyer. Maybe there is an outside chance @Tailspin Turtle might know more about this.

Mike

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/grumman-xf6f-4-hellcat/

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

Other than the XF6F-4, there is at least two more. F6F-3 buno 42874 was modified by NACA to study variable stability. It remained with NACA until 1960, per the article. The photo above of F6F-5 buno 79669 was also assigned to Ames According to Joe Baugher

79669 assigned to NACA Ames Aeronautical Laboratory, NAS Moffett Field, CA, later the NASA Ames Research Center Jun 19, 1950 to Sep 9, 1960. Registered as NACA 208. Modified with guidance and control displays. The aircraft moved from Moffet Field to NAS Miramar, and in May 1979 was presented to the San Diego Air and Space Museum. It is displayed in the authentic battle markings of a plane assigned to the USS Yorktown (CV-10).

I suspect the above photo of NACA 208 is at NAS Moffett in 1958, about the time VF-124 was established as an F8U training squadron at the same location. It appears to be a local open house or air show. 

• Like 1

Greenshirt,

You are right! I stand corrected! I also found BuNo 79669's history on the Joe Baugherr site just now- you were pretty quick off of the starting line! I should have done the BuNo search first! Bonus points to you!

Mike

• Like 2