Baby Walrus ++ FINISHED ++

A coat of primer revealed a couple of issues - small sink marks on the rear of the fuselage (now filled), and something weird with the undercarriage.

Each u/c assembly is moulded as a single piece, and for some reason the angle between the two struts has been set too wide.  This results in the wheel being too far back.

P1110071.jpg

It should look more like this, with an angle of just under 90o.

P1110072.jpg

On the subject of wheels, the tail wheel on the museum plane lacks a spat.  I'm toying with the idea of some file surgery, but it's all rather fiddly....

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 6

Hi Cliff,

I think the "spat" doubled up as a water rudder - being single engined it could not use differential engine power to swing it round on the water, unlike my 138.

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks @AdrianMF and @PeterB :thumbsup2:

I decided to remove some of the tail wheel's spat/rudder and it looks much better.  When it's painted black, it should pass as a naked wheel.

Things are more colourful now, albeit looking a little ragged on the cockpit in macro ;)

P1110073.jpg

I used foil to wrap the leading edges of the clear wings and it looks brilliant.  It's been less successful on the engine struts - although probably still OK when viewed 1:1.  I'll try some chrome paint on another strut and see which works best.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nice and colourful. 

Thanks Stuart.  I used a new bottle of Humbrol Acrylic 'Insignia Yellow', which came out not quite as orange-y as my old tin of enamel (which is a pity).  It sprayed quite nicely, but proved very difficult to clean out of the airbrush.  Nothing seems to dissolve it once it's started to dry.  The best I found was cellulose thinner, but even that only softened the paint into a jelly. Yuck!

7 hours ago, Murdo said:

The cockpit framing looks great. I'll bet it looks perfect with the naked eye!

Thanks Murdo.  Your're right, it does look OK with the naked eye - or in my case, with my reading specs on!

Interestingly, it's virtually impossible to tell that the windows are actually clear.  Next time I make one of these, I'll just paint the windows in - it will be a lot simpler ;).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

On 12/6/2019 at 6:34 PM, Johnson said:

Quite amazing Cliff. Looks great.

Thank you Charlie :)

A little more progress to report.  Decals applied and the Walrus is now standing on its own feet.

P1110080.jpg

Next job will be to affix the upper wing and then rig it.  The rigging wires on the original are bright yellow and I have some suitably coloured sprue courtesy of an old Airfix Sea King.  Unfortunately it has a square cross-section, so I'm not sure what it will look like when stretched.  I guess there's only one way to find out!

Cheers

• Like 7

@Murdo @Courageous @Robert Stuart  Thanks guys and sorry that it's taken me a while to reply.

Well, it's now finished :).  I've added a minimal amount of rigging and fortunately the square-section, yellow sprue stretched just fine.  I've also added a DF Loop from fuse wire.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

P1110086.jpg

This has been a great GB, with a fascinating variety of subjects.  I'm looking forward to seeing the final flurry of finishers over the weekend :popcorn:.

My thanks to all involved!

Cheers

• Like 12