Baby Walrus ++ FINISHED ++

Hi all.  The Supermarine Walrus is proving to be a popular choice in this GB and I can see why.  It's always been a favourite of mine, ever since my dad built the original Airfix version back in the early 60s.

Unfortunately, there's no Walrus kit available in my preferred 1/100 scale. However all is not lost, as there is one available in my other passion - 1/200.

P1110009.jpg

Trumpeter produce a range of 1/200 naval aviation kits - I'm assuming as accessories for their aircraft carrier kits.  I managed to get secondhand versions of all of them via KingKit.  

Each box contains 5 kits and they appear to be little gems.  To be honest, I'd be happy to pay the £6 asking price for just one kit!

P1110010.jpg

The PE parts are rigging wires.  I'll give them a try, but I'll probably end up using finer stretched sprue. 

P1110011.jpg

The transparent parts have a mesmerising, ghost-like appearance and at some point I'd really like to build one of the kits unpainted.

For this GB however, I've decided to go for the well known RAAF Antarctic aircraft HD874, which is currently on display at the RAAF Museum, Point Cook.  Here's a link to the museum's info on the aircraft.

Cheers,

Cliff

• Like 10

43 minutes ago, Paul J said:

How lovely! They look really cute. And tempting.

I'm glad you approve Paul.  

As you'll see, Trumpeter's choice of 1/200 scale carrier-borne aircraft includes a B-25.  It'll only be a matter of time until that one hits my desk!

• Like 1

Might have to indulge in those. Even though I have been slapped with a kit buying ban until I get rid of a load of made ones and don't add to the stash.  

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Grandboof said:

5 kits Hmm Someone would suggest that built them all .

Martin H

The thought had crossed mind Martin - some quite interesting non-Commonwealth users plus civil schemes :winkgrin:

Cliff

Hi Cliff!

Welcome to the GB! Very interesting choice. The kit really looks beautiful in transparent plastic!

Good luck!

Jaime

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Cliff!

Welcome to the GB! Very interesting choice. The kit really looks beautiful in transparent plastic!

Good luck!

Jaime

Thanks Jaime.  I've a couple of November deadline builds to finish first, then I'll be straight onto this.  I'm looking forward to it.

Cliff

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Up early this morning (as always), so I thought that I would make a start on the Walrus.

Immediately, I hit a snag :(.

P1110054.jpg

Trumpeter have decided to mould one of the locating pin sockets immediately behind a side window.  I'm not sure why - if they'd moved it back a bit it would have been invisible behind a painted bit of the fuselage.

It also dawned on me that the kit represents the side windows slid back (you can see the framework), so where the socket is would in fact be an open hole.  This is how this Walrus is displayed at the RAAF museum.

So my solution will be to cut out the socket and open up the window :).

Things get even better.  The aircraft at the Point Cook museum is displayed with one of the starboard wings (and I think also a tail plane), covered in transparent material, so that the internal structure is visible.  Here's a photo.

You can probably see where this is going ........(no pun intended).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

Good start, Cliff! Curious about your idea of displaying the internal structure of the wing. How are you considering doing it?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrlx said:

Good start, Cliff! Curious about your idea of displaying the internal structure of the wing. How are you considering doing it?

Very carefully with very small tweezers i expect.

I considered the museum example for my 1/48 Walrus but decided it was too much! 

Anyway wasn't the Spitfire a baby Walrus?  😉

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jrlx said:

Curious about your idea of displaying the internal structure of the wing. How are you considering doing it?

Thanks Jaime.  Thankfully, Trumpeter have done the work for me.  All I need to do is to remember not to paint over it!

P1110057.jpg

6 hours ago, Murdo said:

Oooooooh! Wish they'd bring that out in 1:144!

I'm sure it's only a matter of time!

5 hours ago, Colin W said:

Anyway wasn't the Spitfire a baby Walrus?  😉

I've always been suspicious about the Spitfire's parentage.  It looks nothing like its parents :hmmm:

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Time for an update.

I managed to cut the side windows out (and remove the offending locating bits) OK.  Opening up the windows made the cockpit interior much more visible, so I decided to add a simple bulkhead and pilot's seat.

P1110060.jpg

Please ignore the my tatty paintwork, it's just to matt down the interior a bit.  The first coat on the outside will be cockpit green too and that's when I'll mask the windows.

P1110061.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 6

I'm starting to stick bits together now and I just can't resist another photo.  I love this kit!

There's absolutely no flash or mould seams and the tiny parts just slip into place.

P1110065.jpg

The struts are obviously a bit over-scale, but I can forgive it that ;)

The only other problem is that the kit is not very photo friendly.  The auto-focus on my camera just can't cope with the clear plastic - hence the random piece of masking tape, to provide the necessary target!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

That is a beautiful little model Cliff.

14 hours ago, Murdo said:

I thought 1:144 was natty but I really like this!

Thank you guys :)

The Walrus is now masked up and ready to receive some paint - I must just remember to stuff some foam into the open windows before I start!

I simplified the framework on the top of the canopy, in order to give me a fighting chance.

P1110067.jpg

Cliff

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Am I missing something here Cliff, what's with the masking? :shrug:

Stuart

Hi Stuart.

I'm building this museum piece, which has one of its wings (and also its starboard tail-plane), covered in transparent material.  I chose the subject before I realised about the see-through wing, but once I twigged, it seemed too good an opportunity to miss ;).  As an aside, I always dip my canopies in Klear to improve their clarity, but this is the first time that I've dipped a wing!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4