BEA ‘Red Square’ Airbus A319 in 1/144

I present my Revell Airbus A319 in the retro BEA ‘Red Square’ Livery to commemorate 100 years of British Airways. I love this livery, it really brings a sense of the past depicted on a modern Airliner. I have another retro scheme I am working on which is the B744 in the BOAC livery.

The build was OOB with the Decals from Classic Airlines. This was originally going to be an Alligent Air A319 but I made a complete mess of it at the time, and what I was left with was something that was fit for the bin... I saw these decals a while ago and knew I had to do this lovely scheme. I tried to tidy up the kit as best I could, then repainted it. I was tempted to buy another A319 kit but seeing as it has ceased to be produced anymore and the prices for them on eBay are obscene, I opted to give it a new beginning.

The paint used was Humbrol Gloss White for the upper fuselage. The lower fuselage and engine nacelles I initially went for Halfords Racking Grey then went over it with Revell 371 Aqua paint.

The wings were done using Revell 371 and then the coroguard a lighter version of Revell 374. I have now managed to pick up some Holts grey that I will be using on my future Airbus builds. Blacks and metals were various Revell Aqua colours.

The decals are lovely, and laser printed. They are very easy to work with and manipulate around the curves of the nose. They are translucent though, and I wish I had filled the windows in when I made the kit over a year ago... they really look great on the model.

As always thank you for looking and any constructive feedback and comments are very welcome.

Regards,

Alistair

BEA A319

BEA A319 BEA A319 BEA A319 BEA A319 BEA A319 BEA A319 BEA A319 BEA A319 BEA A319 BEA A319 BEA A319

I was too excited to share this with you that I forgot to add the antennas...

49023369832_0442bb63c9_b.jpg 49023369812_4752cd185d_b.jpg

49023165001_53335052f3_b.jpg

Here is the progress I have so far with my BOAC 744... 

49023254881_dc8b9a6115_b.jpg 49023458932_4388eb7460_b.jpg 49023458902_80bbdd4ff6_b.jpg 49023458942_12fedcf584_b.jpg

Edited by Scotsman07
  • Like 33

Very nice Alistair.

"Retro" liveries can be a bit hit or miss (I really can't get enthusiastic about Aer Lingus's "retro" A320) but BA created a thing of beauty with the A319. It would have been even nicer if they'd painted the wings red but it's still a lovely scheme. You've certainly done it justice and I'm glad the Classic Airlines decals were so successful. It's easy to overlook them but Nick has a great range. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the 744 finished.

Dave G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Neither 1/144 scale nor airliners are especially 'my thing' but the 'Red Square' scheme was nice on whatever carried it and your Retro Airbus is especially well done as is the 747 WIP.

Back in the 60s someone gave me a BEA Red Square enamel lapel badge but some thieving  so-and-so pinched it from my blazer in the school gym changing rooms , would have looked good on a model display base had it survived the decades since.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paulaero said:

What's the thoughts on here of the eastern express 752 ?

Not repeatable in polite company. Save up a bit more money and buy Authentic Airliners.

Dave G

11 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Not repeatable in polite company. Save up a bit more money and buy Authentic Airliners.

Dave G

See what you mean looks very nice, concerned about the resin U/C holding all that weight ??

I don't want to hijack Alistair's thread but the EE 757 is a pile of :poop:

32 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

Worse than minicraft ?

Arguably yes and EE is a lot dearer than Minicraft - £47.50 as opposed to £24.99 at Hannants. Authentic Airliners is €59, roughly £51.50

23 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

See what you mean looks very nice, concerned about the resin U/C holding all that weight ??

I have one in my stash which has metal undercarriage. If you are thinking of buying you should check with Kurt what the current kit includes.

Sorry for the drift Alistair.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

I don't want to hijack Alistair's thread but the EE 757 is a pile of :poop:

Arguably yes and EE is a lot dearer than Minicraft - £47.50 as opposed to £24.99 at Hannants. Authentic Airliners is €59, roughly £51.50

I have one in my stash which has metal undercarriage. If you are thinking of buying you should check with Kurt what the current kit includes.

Sorry for the drift Alistair.

That's great , just what Britmodeller is all about. Kurt's 757 looks excellent and £50 for all that resin looks very fair as I know what hard work the minicraft one was and decent set of engines are £10..

Any whey yes sorry to Hijack your thread Alistair, wait no am not as that's two lots of AA window decals a zeveda A321, 738 now an authentic 752 and two lots of Jet 2 RJS decals ….resistance is futile

( Quote Dedicated to my dearly lost mate Pete )  

• Like 1

Nice work Alistair, you've nailed the grey / white divide along the (top?) edge of the cheat line.

I could be tempted to buy these decals at the weekend and have still to decide which livery for my BA 744 when it finally comes out of the box.

Mike

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Great save on the A319 and the B744 is shaping up nicely too.

Thank you... the B744 is coming along, I have the engines assembled and almost ready to be painted...

22 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Very nice Alistair.

"Retro" liveries can be a bit hit or miss (I really can't get enthusiastic about Aer Lingus's "retro" A320) but BA created a thing of beauty with the A319. It would have been even nicer if they'd painted the wings red but it's still a lovely scheme. You've certainly done it justice and I'm glad the Classic Airlines decals were so successful. It's easy to overlook them but Nick has a great range. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the 744 finished.

Dave G

Thank you Dave, I must admit BA have done a lovely range of Aircraft in their retro schemes... I like the Iberia and Condor A320 retro schemes from Nick as well. Maybe for a future project. I am slowly getting there with the 744.

Alistair

Very nice, One of the best ever liveries, along with the BOAC livery of the same time.

Great that you were able to save the kit and achieve such a lovely finish.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Des said:

Neither 1/144 scale nor airliners are especially 'my thing' but the 'Red Square' scheme was nice on whatever carried it and your Retro Airbus is especially well done as is the 747 WIP.

Back in the 60s someone gave me a BEA Red Square enamel lapel badge but some thieving  so-and-so pinched it from my blazer in the school gym changing rooms , would have looked good on a model display base had it survived the decades since.

Thank you for the kind compliment... I do really like the BA retro liveries and think they have done a great job with them. 

That is incredibly frustrating... and I agree with you it would have been lovely to keep hold of and would have looked great on a base.

Alistair

7 hours ago, Paulaero said:

That's very nice and now no thanks to you I have two Zeveda 321 and 738's to collect at the national's for TC and Jet 2 colours.

What's the thoughts on here of the eastern express 752 ?

Thank you... Oh dear I can only apologise 😂. You have selected some nice kits and choices of livery for them 👍🏻. I look forward to seeing them.

I haven’t had any experience with Eastern Express or Minicraft but I do with Zvezda would release a B757 in the future...

Alistair

4 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Nice work Alistair, you've nailed the grey / white divide along the (top?) edge of the cheat line.

I could be tempted to buy these decals at the weekend and have still to decide which livery for my BA 744 when it finally comes out of the box.

Mike

Thank you Mike. They are a lovely set of decals... I am liking the BOAC decals too. 

The Revell 744 kit is not the best to work with, it was the Iron Maiden livery but I wasn’t keen on making that scheme. 

Alistair

3 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Nice A319, Alistair. I love this livery...one of the retros that really fit the airplane. Glad you saved another one from the bin. :yes:

Thank you. Yeah I agree with you 100% there it really does suit the A319. I have headed your advice, never throw anything away... always keep it just incase or for the chance to practice with.

Alistair

2 hours ago, Viking said:

Very nice, One of the best ever liveries, along with the BOAC livery of the same time.

Great that you were able to save the kit and achieve such a lovely finish.

Cheers

John

Thank you John. I do like the Airbus family, I’m not sure what gives that away haha. It is a stunning livery, and think it’s great that BA have done so many to celebrate.

Regards,

Alistair

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Scotsman07 said:

Anyone got any tips for the BOAC blue for touch ups... I was looking at Revell Aqua colour 54 Night Blue?

Best bet is to email Ray via his website and ask which paint he used to print the decals. I know from my own experience that he is willing to share information.

Where abouts do you need to touch up?

• Thanks 1

The Airbus looks handsome in that livery. This is a ‘proper’ livery compared to the vapid modern schemes.

Lucky enough to see it on finals over Windsor last week. It brought a big grin to my face.

The 744 is shaping up nicely too.

Trevor

• Thanks 1