Blackburn Buccaneer SA2 809th Sqn. Ark Royal 1978 Revell (Matchbox reboxing) 1/72

Now that is something special - very well done. I've built a couple of Matchbox Buccaneers so I know what your starting point was, and you've absolutely transformed that kit into a gem of a model. From one Buccaneer man to another, if you haven't already bought the new Airfix kit go and get one now! It's just so good - looks exactly right.

• Thanks 1

The Matchbox kit brings back memories , good enough kit when it first came out for the cost and what you got but BASIC !!!!     What an excellent job you have done with what was a very bare canvas to start with , a result to be very proud of.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the nice words"

To be honest,after having enjoyed scratchbuilding most of the detail, I thought a newly released kit wouldn't be fun, even because as a modeller, I've grown up  building Airfix and Matchbox kits when resin and PEsets were still to come....as mobile phones !!!! These kits bring up memories, sorecently I've bought some more vintage ones.

On the other hand, it's a real joy to see Airfix back with so many newly tooled beautiful kits,  filling gaps of a period when British aircraft were many and all quite peculiar, thus I couldn'tresist and bought a new Buccaneer.

Not to get bored building it,I've bought some decals to convert it into an S.1with white undersides, loviz roundels, unpainted radome and all the interiors yellow.

I've see a picture of her and ... it was love!!!

Have afew projects I'd like to bring to an end first, and then I'llbe back buccaneering!!!:thumbsup:

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Massimo said:

Thank you all for the nice words"

To be honest,after having enjoyed scratchbuilding most of the detail, I thought a newly released kit wouldn't be fun, even because as a modeller, I've grown up  building Airfix and Matchbox kits when resin and PEsets were still to come....as mobile phones !!!! These kits bring up memories, sorecently I've bought some more vintage ones.

On the other hand, it's a real joy to see Airfix back with so many newly tooled beautiful kits,  filling gaps of a period when British aircraft were many and all quite peculiar, thus I couldn'tresist and bought a new Buccaneer.

Not to get bored building it,I've bought some decals to convert it into an S.1with white undersides, loviz roundels, unpainted radome and all the interiors yellow.

I've see a picture of her and ... it was love!!!

Have afew projects I'd like to bring to an end first, and then I'llbe back buccaneering!!!:thumbsup:

Like the idea of that S.1 from the new Airfix kit. I would be careful about the yellow interiors though. I've also seen photos where the undercarriage legs etc look a yellow shade, but I was also working at Brough from 1969 to 1974 and only ever saw the standard glossy light grey/blue colour (Airfix suggest using Light Compass Ghost Grey which looks a really good match). I know that's a bit late for S.1s but I've seen nothing to suggest the interior colours were changed.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

Like the idea of that S.1 from the new Airfix kit. I would be careful about the yellow interiors though. I've also seen photos where the undercarriage legs etc look a yellow shade, but I was also working at Brough from 1969 to 1974 and only ever saw the standard glossy light grey/blue colour (Airfix suggest using Light Compass Ghost Grey which looks a really good match). I know that's a bit late for S.1s but I've seen nothing to suggest the interior colours were changed.

In a magazine about the Buccaneer I bought last week at Norwich  Airoport, there's a picture of an 800 Sq.aircraft, I think n° 100 (I've left it at home before coming back tothe UK!!!) with the airbrakes open and...they're yellow , as well as the landing gears and doors' interior.

I've looked among my references and found this one.

5hOyUSd.jpg

Copyright is Aviationphotocompany.com

Here aircraft n° 107 has the landing gears yellow, but the picture in the magazine mentioned above shows aircraft n° 100 with the airbrakes open and the interior is the same colour.

Any idea whatsort ofyellowis it?It doesn't look zinc chromate ,but rather a brighter yellow ,similar to the one used for towing bars and tractors.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...