Hellenic Air Force Phantoms, Andravida November 2019 (updated with landing & night images 23/11/19)

Alpha Delta 210

On 11/16/2019 at 4:00 AM, stevehnz said:

Delighted to report that I got a notification this morning from Aviationmegastore to let me know they again had stock of the Modelmaker Greek Phantom decals, MDM72058, two aircraft with commemorative tails. I fancy the one with the thunderbolts on it. It was the work of mere moments to go from cart to checkout to bought. :)

Steve.

Hi Steve. I've just checked the Aviation Megastore web site and am delighted to see that I photographed the jet with the thunderbolt tail. I've ordered the sheet as well!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

I photographed the jet with the thunderbolt tail. 

Guess why I fancied that scheme so much? :)  These have become my new favourite Phantom scheme, its a colour combo pretty much unique in Phantoms, afaik, :unsure: & in any case, I reckon its a great a scheme, that tail art will be the icing on the cake. 

Steve.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Guess why I fancied that scheme so much? :)  These have become my new favourite Phantom scheme, its a colour combo pretty much unique in Phantoms, afaik, :unsure: & in any case, I reckon its a great a scheme, that tail art will be the icing on the cake. 

Steve.

I wonder how easy it will be to match the camouflage colours?

Which kit do you plan to use? 

I'm not sure how many more pictures I have of this jet (I'm overseas at the moment), but feel free to drop me a PM if you need any reference images.

• Thanks 1

I've seen on a online shot of the decal diagram some FS colours quoted, seeing as I've really only got Humbrol or Vallejo shades, it'll be play get the best match, maybe some custom mixing. I'm not sure which  kit I need, I've recently bought some older Hasegawa F-4E & F-4EJ kits to mix & match with slatted & un-slatted wings etc, I'm need to figure what these birds need. :unsure:

Steve.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I've seen on a online shot of the decal diagram some FS colours quoted, seeing as I've really only got Humbrol or Vallejo shades, it'll be play get the best match, maybe some custom mixing. I'm not sure which  kit I need, I've recently bought some older Hasegawa F-4E & F-4EJ kits to mix & match with slatted & un-slatted wings etc, I'm need to figure what these birds need. :unsure:

Steve.

Hi Steve. I found this link with the FS numbers for the colours (which may be the one you were referring to), so at least we have a starting point! The weathering will be fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

I found this link with the FS numbers for the colours

That is the one though I've worked out that their call for FS36237 is wrong, it should be FS35237 ,  I saw that on the Scalemates listing for the Model Alliance sheet that featured these birds. it looks about right too. I think I'll do the colours as faded, I'm not much of a weatherer. The bird slicers on the nose will be fun to do in 1/72. A couple of your photos showed clearly they wore slatted wings so I've a good steer which way to go, now I just need some time. :( 

Steve.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is the one though I've worked out that their call for FS36237 is wrong, it should be FS35237 ,  I saw that on the Scalemates listing for the Model Alliance sheet that featured these birds. it looks about right too. I think I'll do the colours as faded, I'm not much of a weatherer. The bird slicers on the nose will be fun to do in 1/72. A couple of your photos showed clearly they wore slatted wings so I've a good steer which way to go, now I just need some time. :( 

Steve.

Thanks for the colour advice, Steve. I haven't put scalpel to plastic for 5 years or so, therefore the whole build is likely to be fun! Maybe nail clippings for the bird slicers?🤣

• Haha 1

ooh....  :heart:

WOWZER !   Those are truly  AMAZING  photographs  Alpha Delta 210.

and one of MY favorites jets too ! 

:wow:

the sunset photograph  are STUNNING and very atmospheric...

thank you for sharing.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HOUSTON said:

just managed to see all the previous photographs  too.

PHABULOUS PHANTOMS are GORGEOUS.

your photographs { and photography  } are OUTSTANDING ..

:yahoo:

:wub:

:heart:

:heart:

Thanks Houston. Your enthusiasm is a great motivator!

I'm really pleased that you enjoyed the images.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for those. Outstanding shots with great detail. The image inside the Hardened Aircraft Shelter (HAS) allows me to at least get real close on the dimensions of the HAS inside and out. I have been studying the Hellenic Air Force and am considering doing one each of the F-4, A-7 and the F-16. I have a few ESCI and Hasegawa A-7E kits and 2 Italeri F-16B/D kits with the avionics spine and drag chute extension. These are in 1/48th scale and I'm primed and ready except for decals. I do have a bead on a set.

So again, Thank you very much for these and the other photos. A modellers dream to see so much detail.:thumbsup:

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Edited by f111guru
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, f111guru said:

So again, Thank you very much for these and the other photos. A modellers dream to see so much detail.:thumbsup:

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Hi Ron. Thanks again for the kind words. I'm delighted that my images can assist you with your builds.

I have more images from inside the HAS, so drop me a PM if you need any specific details. 

Beautiful photographs! Those Phantoms look great in that camouflage scheme - I hadn't seen that before (that I recall). I think I know what scheme I'll build a Phantom in if I ever get around to one.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Beautiful photographs! Those Phantoms look great in that camouflage scheme - I hadn't seen that before (that I recall). I think I know what scheme I'll build a Phantom in if I ever get around to one.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks very much, Jason. I love the scheme as well,  and bought the Greek decals recommended by Steve above. 

• Like 1

On 07/11/2019 at 10:16, Paul J said:

Great photos,  Those head on ones of the F-4, what are those vanes just behind the radome? Not seen them on Phantoms before but noticed them on Hornets and F-16.   I take it the event was a special one.

These are the IFF antennas of the AN/APX-111 system which is part of the AUP program.  

On 11/11/2019 at 21:23, f111guru said:

WOW!!!!!! Thank you for posting. What a great variety of F-4E's. Wonderful subject matter. As a model builder I see different equipment from other countries Phantoms. I am very intrigued with the color combinations of your F-4's with stand out differences between them. The F-4E serial 01512 is one of the phantoms I would enjoy building. It has equipment not on other phantoms. I graciously ask to use your images as a building reference for this aircraft.

Again Thank you for these and thank you in advance for your permission.

Ron VanDerwarker

The 01512 has the standard antennas of the ''DIAS'' system like 01508, 01524, 01529, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vangos said:

These are the IFF antennas of the AN/APX-111 system which is part of the AUP program.  

The 01512 has the standard antennas of the ''DIAS'' system like 01508, 01524, 01529, etc.

Thank you the info. I do try to reproduce what I see in photos. I know the F-4's I was use to in my USAF career did not have near what I see in these pictures. Granted there is 25 plus years between the time I retired and now so I'm really impressed with the advancement.

Thank you again

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1