reommended Avro Vulcan book?

exdraken

I have both the book by the late Tim Lamming (which I believe has been recently re-printed with additional imagery) and the Warpaint on the Vulcan which are mentioned above and would recommend both.

A quick look on my bookshelf came up with another three books by Tim Lamming later known as Tim McLelland with different images and approaches to the subject  -

The Vulcan Story 1952 - 2002 by Tim Lamming published by Cassell

V-Bombers - Vulcan , Victor and Valiant -Britain's Airborne Nuclear Deterrent by Tim Lamming published by PSL 

Vulcan God of Fire by Tim McLelland published by the History Press

Also on the shelf and again extending the range of images used -

Volume 3 of Wings of Fame published by Aerospace which has a 62 page feature on the the Vulcan by Paul Jackson

V-Force  - Britain's Airborne Nuclear Deterrent by Robert Jackson published by Ian Allan

Vulcan - Last of the V-Bombers by Duncan Cubitt with Ken Ellis published by Osprey which is mainly photographic covers general history, operational use , survivors and the 1984 and 85 display seasons with the RAF's Vulcan Display Team.

Despite some unavoidable repetition all have their own merits.

Edited by Des
  • Thanks 1

There's a Haynes Manual on the Vulcan that has a lot of detail photos and illustrations which would probably help with a large scale build. It might be worth having a look in a local branch of The Works to see if they still have cheap copies (the one I got from them was £6.00), though it's not currently listed on their website.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard Humm said:

There's a Haynes Manual on the Vulcan that has a lot of detail photos and illustrations which would probably help with a large scale build. It might be worth having a look in a local branch of The Works to see if they still have cheap copies (the one I got from them was £6.00), though it's not currently listed on their website.

That's got a few glaring errors in mislabelling variants (Vulcan B2- I believe with Blue Steel maybe- as B1a or Victor B1s as Victor B2s) so I would double check stuff in there. If that was allowed to get past, who knows what else went through unnoticed

• Sad 1

On 11/5/2019 at 9:58 PM, cmatthewbacon said:

I think the new Crecy revised edition of the McLelland book is probably the best around now, and a good price:

The Avro Vulcan https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1910809276

best,

M.

this it is then I suppose!

thanks a lot everybody for your valuable input!

• 1 month later...

Best Vulcan book by a country mile is  'Vulcan B.Mk2 from a different angle' by Craig Bulman. It was a source I used often when researching the new Vulcan for Airfix and what I'll be using for my Aeroclub/Icelandic Fine Arts/AIM hybrid model. A treasure trove of info.

51SjbR-NEeL._SL500_SX347_BO1,204,203,200

Now revised and updated

81M2qCm2v0L.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2019 at 10:26 AM, general melchett said:

Best Vulcan book by a country mile is  'Vulcan B.Mk2 from a different angle' by Craig Bulman. It was a source I used often when researching the new Vulcan for Airfix and what I'll be using for my Aeroclub/Icelandic Fine Arts/AIM hybrid model. A treasure trove of info.

Now revised and updated

81M2qCm2v0L.jpg

thanks a lot!

really hard to get... seems I have to order directly at the Vulcan to the Sky trust... as A...zon.uk does not deliver to Austria.... :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 9:26 AM, general melchett said:

81M2qCm2v0L.jpg

Thanks so much for the pointer to this book, which I wasn't aware even existed.  You are quite right: it leaves all the others trailing in the dust.

On 1/16/2020 at 4:14 PM, Sparkie said:

And, according to an e-mail this morning, there's now an extra 10% reduction on Vulcan To The Sky merchandise for the rest of the month.  Grr!

Anyone passing by Manchester Airport, have a look at the small aviation die cast shops at Terminal 1, they had the book on offer a couple months ago and of course I picked a copy. Can't remember if it was £15 or 10 and I have removed the price sticker so can't check.

I may add that from a modeller's perspective I like the "modern" Aeroguide volume. For modern I mean the one part of the new series published by Ad Hoc in 2003. Unfortunately this seems to be relatively hard to find today. Easier to find and cheaper is the original title from 1984, that I do not have but I would expect it to be useful as well

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Thanks so much for the pointer to this book, which I wasn't aware even existed.  You are quite right: it leaves all the others trailing in the dust.

From me: Thanks as well, order just made. :thumbsup:

On 1/24/2020 at 10:58 PM, Seahawk said:

And, according to an e-mail this morning, there's now an extra 10% reduction on Vulcan To The Sky merchandise for the rest of the month.  Grr!

Thanks for the info!

Helps to digest the enourmous shipping charges to Europe they add... :(

ordered anyways today! :)