de Havilland Mosquito MkXIII - Tamiya 1/48

I thought I would paste up one of my latest finished models -

de Havilland Mosquito Mk XIII HK422/RO*Z  29 Squadron RAF.

During the period Oct 1943 to Oct 1944 Lieutenant DRO Price RNVR with his Observer Sub. Lieutenant B Armitage RNVR were seconded to 29 Sqn RAF to learn the art of AI and Night Fighting.  During that period Price and Armitage made three claims.

09/10. 06.44 Ju188 Destroyed

21/22.04.44 Me110 Destroyed

17/18.09.44 Me110 Destroyed

Unfortunately 29 Sqn RAF only recorded in the Operations Record Book that, on each occasion, they were flying a MkXIII Mosquito rather than aircraft codes or serials. 

HK422/RO*Z is a representative aircraft of 29 Sqn through the period rather than one definitely flown by Price & Armitage.

The model itself has been converted from the bulk standard Tamiya 1/48 MkVI/NFII boxing but with the addition of the Blackbird Nose, which I had a bit of trouble fitting (measure twice, cut once).  I also scratch built the new junction boxes in the rear cockpit and scratched a GEE set (and aerial) plus Harnesses to Pilot & Observer. 

Paints are Xtracrylic over Halfords Grey Primer (honestly not much different to Med Sea Grey).  Roundels were Tamiya Squadron codes I printed up myself.

I need to thank both @Seahawk & @Graham Boak for their help and guidance during the research for this aircraft..

49006648393_558f438c0b_h.jpg

49007397897_748361ea54_h.jpg

49006648048_1a81d377dc_h.jpg

49007397542_096267d873_h.jpg

49007182296_c7ba561053_h.jpg

49015306862_cdddca4a27_h.jpg

49007190896_a80abf81e9_h.jpg

• Like 43

9 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

I like this a lot! Where was it based at the time? I have a mozzie to make and this has been quite inspirational.

Thanks OutcastJoel, you are to kind, really don't think it as inspirational...

29 Squadron bases for the period..

1 May-19 June 1944: West Malling
19 June 1944-22 February 1945: Hunsdon

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Very nice Mossie, GB!

Mike

Thanks Mike..

9 hours ago, tonyot said:

Another corker there mate and a little known aspect of Fleet Air Arm operations. 

Cheers

Tony

Cheers Tony, now a question for you...

What to build next?

I have committed to the 'In the Navy' and 'MTO' GBs for next year (if they go ahead) and I'm thinking Ark Royal Blackburn Skua in S1E with Sky blue undersides as we discussed some time back - (JM Bruen) or maybe an Illustrious Fulmar MkI in S1E (RA Brabner) for either.  I could do a Hurricane MkI (Trop.) from Royal Navy Desert Fighter Flight (PN Charlton)(also based on your research) for the GB but as it is one of those little known FAA Operations maybe It should be my next build orrrrrr perhaps a Seafire MkIII from the fleet spotter pool D-Day (RM Crosley) that's not such a well known FAA Operation either...

Any preference?

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

How 'bout all of them? I If I had to stick to one, it would be the Mk III spotter! (Maybe one of the USN-flown examples?)

Mike

Thanks Mike, rest assured they will all be built eventually.  I am building out a collection of aircraft flown by Fleet Air Arm pilots whilst making claims on enemy aircraft (it was supposed to be one example of each type but you know how scope creeps, currently in scope are about 30 odd models).  I can get really nerdy on the subject..

In terms of the Seafire it will end up as the mount of RM Crosley (the Author of 'They gave me a Seafire").  During the D-Day landings  Crosley flew with 886 Naval Air Squadron, Lee-on-the-Solent as part of the Fleet fire spotter pool.

07.06.44 1735 Destroyed Bf109, 15 miles SW Caen / 5m S Evrecy.  Supermarine Seafire III NN341 possibly ‘3A’.

About the only issue is clipped or full span wings?

On 11/5/2019 at 6:02 PM, Grey Beema said:

Cheers Tony, now a question for you...

What to build next?

I have committed to the 'In the Navy' and 'MTO' GBs for next year (if they go ahead) and I'm thinking Ark Royal Blackburn Skua in S1E with Sky blue undersides as we discussed some time back - (JM Bruen) or maybe an Illustrious Fulmar MkI in S1E (RA Brabner) for either.  I could do a Hurricane MkI (Trop.) from Royal Navy Desert Fighter Flight (PN Charlton)(also based on your research) for the GB but as it is one of those little known FAA Operations maybe It should be my next build orrrrrr perhaps a Seafire MkIII from the fleet spotter pool D-Day (RM Crosley) that's not such a well known FAA Operation either...

Any preference?

Mate they all sound great and subjects I`d like to do myself,.......   the Seafire Spotter does sound nice, as does the Skua or Fulmar,..... you could stick black and white halved undersides or even sky blue undersides on the SIE Fulmar too.  A Salerno Seafire is also an idea,... or an Op Torch Sea Hurricane, Seafire etc to accompany your Martlet. 

I`m just doing a 1/72nd FAA Buffalo from 805 NAS,..... among a few other things like 3 x Spit 14`s and a Hamilcar,...oh and a Mustang,....and a Ventura,.....etc,..etc LOL!

If I can help at all,..... get in touch.

All the best mate

Tony

• Like 1

I think for my next build I'm going for:-

Hawker Hurricane I (Trop.) W9327 OL*W flown by LtCdr PN Charlton whilst with Royal Navy Desert Fighter Flight.

20.11.41 3 x Ju87 Destroyed.  Shot down by a 'friendly' tomahawk, later awarded DFC by RAF.  

Camouflage :- Desert scheme with white sqn codes OL and a red W. De Havilland Propeller and Spinner, Oil Collector Ring. (Courtesy of @tonyot).

Supermarine Seafire III NN341 possibly ‘3A’ flown by Lt RM Crosley (author of 'They gave me a Seafire'), 886 Naval Air Squadron, Lee-on-the-Solent. D-Day Fleet fire spotter pool

07.06.44 1735 Destroyed Bf109, 15 miles SW Caen / 5m S Evrecy.  

Camouflage :- TSS with Invasion Stripes.

That should keep me out of trouble...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tonyot said:

Mate they all sound great and subjects I`d like to do myself,.......   the Seafire Spotter does sound nice, as does the Skua or Fulmar,..... you could stick black and white halved undersides or even sky blue undersides on the SIE Fulmar too.  A Salerno Seafire is also an idea,... or an Op Torch Sea Hurricane, Seafire etc to accompany your Martlet. 

Tony

Skua with B&W undersides

40427534354_4822b6e96d.jpg

Fulmar with B&W undersides

37663697946_6d40af2665.jpg

Op Torch Seafire (Roundels now overmarked with stars..

37002598994_80e90d7901.jpg

I want to do a Salerno Seafire but I'm struggling to find one flown by an Ace on my list...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Skua with B&W undersides

40427534354_4822b6e96d.jpg

Fulmar with B&W undersides

37663697946_6d40af2665.jpg

Op Torch Seafire (Roundels now overmarked with stars..

37002598994_80e90d7901.jpg

I want to do a Salerno Seafire but I'm struggling to find one flown by an Ace on my list...

Was Major Al Wright Royal Marines an ace? He flew a Sharkmouthed Seafire over Salerno and then another after the operation. 

I built a 1/72nd model of his 2nd Seafire here;

And I`m pretty sure I wrote about it in a magazine article that I wrote about Salerno?

Here is a link with some more info including photos of the real aircraft;

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?topic=179120.0

I`ll check through my stuff and I`ll gladly send you what I have via e mail,...... just send me your e mail address again bud.

Cheers,

Tony

8 hours ago, tonyot said:

Was Major Al Wright Royal Marines an ace? He flew a Sharkmouthed Seafire over Salerno and then another after the operation. 

I built a 1/72nd model of his 2nd Seafire here;

And I`m pretty sure I wrote about it in a magazine article that I wrote about Salerno?

Here is a link with some more info including photos of the real aircraft;

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?topic=179120.0

I`ll check through my stuff and I`ll gladly send you what I have via e mail,...... just send me your e mail address again bud.

Cheers,

Tony

You did Tony, I have it carefully filed in the Cave.  You also wrote a magazine article on Albacores and Swordfish based on Malta.  Great articles.

Major Wright is not listed as an Ace but I did covert a 1/72 Spitfire MKV to a Seafire to put the Sharks mouth on (I must finish it one day)...

• Like 1